Uintas fishing/backpacking

Sam De Vries

Hey guys! I am heading to the Uintas end of August with my cousin and we are looking for a nice 2 night, 3 day trip. Somewhere between 20 and 30 miles so we have enough time to fish along the way. Any suggestions of good routes/loops to do that include a decent amount of fishable lakes/streams? Thanks,

-sam

Where have you already been up there?
Hey Nick, I have only done the Cleveland Pass loop starting at Moon Lake. Think it was 32 miles over 3 days. I have heard Dead Horse Lake is good for fishing. Don't have a map yet but will get one soon.

Dead Horse itself is not typically great fishing. The creek coming up through Buck pasture is nice fly fishing for little guys. I hear Ejod may have some lunkers.

Amethyst Basin has good fishing. Ostler and Toomset probably have the larger fish but the others have good populations. And the meadow below BR-24 is a riot to dry fly fish.

Another nice option would be to head out from Hayden Pass and cross over Rocky Sea into Rock Creek. The lakes along the high west and north edges of that are said to hold nice fish and it's not as busy as a lot of other places.

Or if you don't want to go over a pass, just cut right and head into Four Lakes Basin. You can even head down to Allen and hook into some Arctic Grayling.

Lots of trip reports on all these places in the backpacking section.

Dead Horse itself is not typically great fishing. The creek coming up through Buck pasture is nice fly fishing for little guys. I hear Ejod may have some lunkers.

Amethyst Basin has good fishing. Ostler and Toomset probably have the larger fish but the others have good populations. And the meadow below BR-24 is a riot to dry fly fish.

Another nice option would be to head out from Hayden Pass and cross over Rocky Sea into Rock Creek. The lakes along the high west and north edges of that are said to hold nice fish and it's not as busy as a lot of other places.

Or if you don't want to go over a pass, just cut right and head into Four Lakes Basin. You can even head down to Allen and hook into some Arctic Grayling.

Lots of trip reports on all these places in the backpacking section.
Awesome! Thanks nick. Think we will try the Hayden Pass to Rock Creek route and loop around those lakes then head back.

Back