Uintas Epic Adventure

Dave B.

I am planning on taking an epic 50 mile adventure in the Uintas next year. Here is what I have so far, what do you think? Any suggestions?

Day 1: Start at the Highline trail to Pigeon Milk Springs
Day 2: Over Rocky Sea Pass into rock creek drainage to Lightning Lake via Rosalie and Gladys lake
Day 3: Head to Ledge Lake then camp at Phinney lake
Day 4: Skirt base of Explorer Peak to Squaw lake/Anderson lake
Day 5: Enter Squaw Basin and head towards Rudolph lake up and over tworoose pass and camp at either Tworoose or Kidney lake in the Brown Duck basin
Day 6: Hike out to Moon lake

Hey @Dave B. - welcome to BCP! What sort of suggestions are you looking for? Campsites? Tweaks to your plan? good fishing lakes? Backcountrypost has it all- just take some time digging through the forum and trip reports, then ask questions to specific members and they'll jump in with suggestions in no time.

@ledcat did part of the route you're proposing.
This thread has some other info and might be a good place to begin. http://backcountrypost.com/forum/th...50-mile-routes-in-the-uintas.2552/#post-32398

I am planning on taking an epic 50 mile adventure in the Uintas next year. Here is what I have so far, what do you think? Any suggestions?

Day 1: Start at the Highline trail to Pigeon Milk Springs
Day 2: Over Rocky Sea Pass into rock creek drainage to Lightning Lake via Rosalie and Gladys lake
Day 3: Head to Ledge Lake then camp at Phinney lake
Day 4: Skirt base of Explorer Peak to Squaw lake/Anderson lake
Day 5: Enter Squaw Basin and head towards Rudolph lake up and over tworoose pass and camp at either Tworoose or Kidney lake in the Brown Duck basin
Day 6: Hike out to Moon lake

Having just done 1/2 the route your suggesting (I went over Dead Horse and into WFBF drainage) Here is what I would suggest: There's, in my opinion, an almost perfect camp spot at Pigeon Milk Springs, on the north side of the spring stream, back in the woods. I would also suggest camping at Helen Lake instead of Lightning. There is a nice meadow on the south side of Lightning which also has some good shade trees, but I couldn't find anything flat enough for my comfort. We camped on the east side of Helen. Go east a hundred yards or more and there is small, flat, well shaded meadow that we found to be a great camp spot. (Except the mosquitoes were lethal)
I have every intention of doing this route again and when I do I would like to spend some time in the Gladys lake area - the trail takes you high above. This was one of my favorite views of my trip.

Also, I loved Ledge Lake. We camped on the west side near a waterfall from a spring high up on a rock cliff. My son loved bouldering at Ledge Lake and would still be there had I not insisted he come with us when it was time to go.

@DAA has the authoritative review of a trip similar to the one you're planning here.

Thanks DrNed! This is awesome and exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone have any experience going from Squaw lake over to the Brown Duck Basin around Kidney lake? What is a better camp spot Kidney Lake or Tworoose? Thanks again you guys are awesome.

One week from today and I will be heading out on this fantastic journey. Thanks to everyone here on BCP who has helped give guidance and insight. Here is my final route plan http://caltopo.com/m/3H68. I would love to know if there are any good fishing spots or side trips, I should plan on stopping at on my way.

Nice. I'm leaving for my Uintas trip in 2.5 weeks. I really wanted to check out Reconnaissance Lake/Triangle Mountain, just south Allsop Lake on the south side of the Uintas divide, but not going to be able to with the route I chose. That's really close to where you're going, just figured I'd suggest that. It looks beautiful.