Uintas Conditions 2020

Upgrayedd

As soon as this Covid nonsense is over, I want to pop up into the Uintas. Searched for a Uintas 2020 conditions and didn't see one yet.

I saw them from afar yesterday.
Reid, Baldy, Hayden, Agassiz... ALL buried in snow.

On a serious side, I will be watching this too.

I was up to Bear River Lodge area about a week ago. Mostly clear with isolated drifts at the 8,500 foot level. As already noted, solid snow on the peaks.

Don't know how similar conditions in the Uintas would be compared to the Wasatch but there's a ton of snow in the Wasatch. This was shot looking south from Morgan County. Maybe some of you can recognize some of the peaks? I'm thinking in the center is Mt Superior and Twin Peaks to the left? But dang! Serious snow.

DSC00992-HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Some Snotel reports as of today...

Buck Pasture50"
Chepeta50"
East Fork Blacks Fork Ranger Station39"
Hayden Fork41"
Spirit Lake51"
Trial Lake66"

Yeah we got bit to go :{

Heh, yeah, that goes without saying this time of year, can't wait to get out and about.
If I fly into Salt lake whats the best trail head to enter in? I would be going in late august or early September. I want to avoid crowds and bugs. This would be a week long fishing trip. Any recommendations? Naturalist basin looks cool but I hear it is very crowded.

If I fly into Salt lake whats the best trail head to enter in? I would be going in late august or early September. I want to avoid crowds and bugs. This would be a week long fishing trip. Any recommendations? Naturalist basin looks cool but I hear it is very crowded.
I went to Naturalist Basin in early-mid September last year, and I came across maybe 5-8 other groups in two days. And most of those were small and very spread out. I don't think it would be a bad choice, especially because the trailhead is so easily/quickly accessible from Salt Lake City. The trick is to arrive after Labor Day weekend. And get up on the bench above Jordan Lake and Morat Lakes. Great views up there and less people.

I went to Naturalist Basin in early-mid September last year, and I came across maybe 5-8 other groups in two days. And most of those were small and very spread out. I don't think it would be a bad choice, especially because the trailhead is so easily/quickly accessible from Salt Lake City. The trick is to arrive after Labor Day weekend. And get up on the bench above Jordan Lake and Morat Lakes. Great views up there and less people.
Nice, thanks for the advice. What is the temperature like at night, during the morning in early to mid September? My only experience in Utah is a week backpacking Fisk Lake in June.

Nice, thanks for the advice. What is the temperature like at night, during the morning in early to mid September? My only experience in Utah is a week backpacking Fisk Lake in June.
I'd plan on nighttime lows in the low 20s. It's possible they would be in the 30s, but it's better to be prepared. I think it was between 20 and 25 when I went. And it's been pretty similar in September of previous years when I've gone to places off of Mirror Lake Highway.

This evening's recon has gotten me all excited!

Snow melting everywhere. Rivers and creeks are running high...

DSC00200.jpg

Mama was out snacking on the new shoots...

DSC00188.jpg

A1 and Kletting Peaks are still snow bound...

DSC00223-HDR.jpg

Ostler Peak is looking mighty fine!

DSC00232-HDR.jpg

Won't be long (fingers crossed)...

DSC00242.jpg

I haven't been into the Uintas, but in the Wasatch the snow is melting REALLY fast. I was up around 9k feet 2 weeks ago and there were still drifts of snow 3-4 feet in places. Today I went to the same area and not only was the snow completely gone the soil was dry and not even muddy. It's been hot and warm and it's going quick.

Took a drive up Mirror Lake Hwy. They still have it blocked at Provo River Falls. The falls are raging, and there were more people there than I’ve ever seen. It was unbelievably packed!!

Took a drive up to the north side today. Was able to get between a 1/4 to half mile past the Sulphur Campground, which is right at mile marker 39.

On the way in.
IMG_8729.jpg

Christmas Meadows looking nice!
IMG_8736.jpg

As far as I was willing to go...
IMG_8760.jpg

Dave, we were in the same area this last weekend. We were camped up on the Harpers Corner road. Looks like the same view we had.

Nice! It was a great sunset that Friday night.