Two day in Crater Lake National Park

Outdoors24

The first destination on our trip last summer was Crater Lake National Park. The trip started the first day by leaving Utah and making the 12 hour drive to Lakeview, Oregon. It was a long drive, but it shortened our driving time drastically the second day. We did make a brief stop at the salt flats to walk around for a minute.
IMG_0918.JPG

After the salt flats it was a long drive with very little stops. After our first day of driving we stayed at a privately owned campground on a ranch. The campground was mostly filled with RV's, but they did have two grassy spots for tents. It was a really nice campground and it made a great overnight spot.

IMG_0920.JPG IMG_0923.JPG

The best part of the drive in my opinion was from Lakeview, Oregon to Crater Lake. It was very scenic and green. It was only two more hours of driving to reach Crater Lake. The first thing that we did was get our campsite set up before taking off to see the lake. I felt like the drive from the campground to the lake was filled with suspense. After each bend in the road I kept hoping we would see the lake. Finally the lake came into view and it did not disappoint. We lucked out and were able to find a parking spot fairly quickly.

IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0932.JPG IMG_1084.JPG
For the rest of the first day we meandered along the rim. We did have the same problem here as we did in Lassen Volcanic National Park. There were still parts of the park that were closed because of snow. The picture above was from last July with snow still on the ground.

IMG_0949.JPG IMG_0952.JPG

We ended the first day by going to a ranger program and relaxing around the fire. The next day our goal was to take the Cleetwood Cove Trail down to the lake. We talked about it in the morning and everyone decided that the water was going to be too cold to swim in. By the time we got down to the bottom of the lake a couple people in a group decided it was worth jumping in. The water was very clear.

IMG_0953.JPG IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0960.JPG IMG_0963.JPG IMG_0968.JPG

We probably spent two or so hours down at the lake before heading back up to the car. After we made it back to the car, we made our way as far around the rim as we could. Weren't able to go very far before the roads were closed.

IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0986.JPG IMG_0989.JPG

We decided to go back to camp and hang out and wait for sunset to go back up to the lake. If I was a better photographer I am sure the sunset pictures would have turned out better. All these pictures were taken on my phone. Crater Lake was the highlight of the entire trip. I am hoping to go back again one day. If you ever get the chance to go to Cater Lake I would highly recommend it.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 15
Breathtaking! I’ve always wanted to go to Crater Lake and this report makes me want to go there even more. Where are those salt flats btw?

One of the best dayhikes that I have had was the hike down to bottom or Crater Lake and then back to the top of the rim. It was hot and hard and a great couple of hours and the payoff at the lake shore was great. Thanks for the photos

Great TR and yes, that park is a pretty sweet place.
One time I was there an idiot in a plane buzzed the lake (which is illegal). Boy that got the rangers all fired up quick.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrektheWorld Crater Lake and Lone Eagle Peak Backpacking 1
Born to Hike 85 miles on the Uinta Highline Trail including Crater Lake and a Dinosaur: July 26 - Aug 1, 2020 Backpacking 35
Miya Umpqua NF, Crater Lake, and 'A Whole New World' Hiking & Camping 15
Mullet Crater lake uintas TR? Questions, Suggestions & Support 3
Tater Head Crater Lake/Jedediah Smith State Park Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Maroon Bells & Crater Lake Hiking & Camping 9
Shirt357 Twin Crater Lakes - 0707-0708 Backpacking 5
Seldom Seen Anderson Guacamole Trail and Crater Hill Hiking & Camping 7
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
T How big are the Mirror Lake campgrounds in the Porkies? Trip Planning 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior (again), June 2022 On The Water 4
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0