Turning 50 this year

jeff.daniels.714

I've been camping with my son and his Boy Scout troop for a number of years and have gotten bit in a good way by our backpack adventures. I would like to plan a 50 mile hike somewhere in Arkansas to commemorate my 50th birthday this coming August. I've started a work out regimen to get ready and will be tagging along with our older scouts who are going to Piedmont in New Mexico this summer on their tune up hikes.

Need advice for trails that would be good for solo hikes. I'm a novice hammock camper and want to use that as my shelter and I have a Kelty Redwing 50 pack, but am interested in the osprey atmos 65 as an alternative.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been camping with my son and his Boy Scout troop for a number of years and have gotten bit in a good way by our backpack adventures. I would like to plan a 50 mile hike somewhere in Arkansas to commemorate my 50th birthday this coming August. I've started a work out regimen to get ready and will be tagging along with our older scouts who are going to Piedmont in New Mexico this summer on their tune up hikes.

Need advice for trails that would be good for solo hikes. I'm a novice hammock camper and want to use that as my shelter and I have a Kelty Redwing 50 pack, but am interested in the osprey atmos 65 as an alternative.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozark Highlands Trail is exactly what you're looking for. I know there are outfitters there who will do a shuttle service for you; otherwise there are enough cross-roads if i recall correctly to hitch, if you're not in a hurry. It's quite pretty and has some cool waterfalls and such. End of March/early April might be a good time of year, before all the bugs come out.

Congrats on the milestone! Hopefully you find the 50's to be as rewarding as I have. My kids were born while I was in my 40's so I had to back off a bit while they were young but as soon as my wife and I could, we had the kids out camping/rafting/hiking. Looks like this year we'll take them on their first backpack trip (in the Brooks Range). Have a great trip and if you ever want to get out in AK, let me know.

Back