Trying to decide: Clyde Lake Loop or Island Lake?

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
While the mild weather continues here in Utah I'm planning a day hike on Tuesday. I'm looking at the Clyde Lake Loop or Lakes Country Trail to Island Lake with a return along Duck Lake. Any suggestions which might be better?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They are both great, but I'd probably go with the Clyde loop.
I agree with Nick, but can't necessarily articulate why. The area around Clyde (especially the glacier-carved rock) was just pretty neat, I guess, where Duck and Island were more typical of the area.

Get up there while the getting's good... I was at Ruth Lake today and there's practically no snow.

Thanks for the great input all. I think you talked me into the Clyde Lake Loop.

I'm not seeing the "complete" loop showing on my Trails Illustrated nor Delorme maps. Is there a formal trail between the Twin Lakes to Clyde, or even up to The Notch and back down to Clyde?

I'm not seeing the "complete" loop showing on my Trails Illustrated nor Delorme maps. Is there a formal trail between the Twin Lakes to Clyde, or even up to The Notch and back down to Clyde?

Trail maps in this region are notoriously inconsistent. However, there's a good trail (obvious on the ground) between Twin Lakes and Clyde.

It's not an official trail but there is a cairned route between Clyde and the Notch. In order to reach it, head north-east from the northern tip of Clyde. Once at John Lake, turn east and head up the "ramp" of exposed rock.

Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 12.24.47 AM.png

Trail maps in this region are notoriously inconsistent. However, there's a good trail (obvious on the ground) between Twin Lakes and Clyde.

It's not an official trail but there is a cairned route between Clyde and the Notch. In order to reach it, head north-east from the northern tip of Clyde. Once at John Lake, turn east and head up the "ramp" of exposed rock.

View attachment 50388

Oh that's perfect! Thanks for that @Dave. Any preferences for direction of the loop? Clockwise vs counter clockwise?

I've done it both directions and don't really have a preference. I'm partial to the left-hand side of the loop, but it's all good.

Clyde Lake Loop (counter clockwise). Trip video coming...