Trouble with Coleman Propane Cylinders

The price is a bummer. I bought my tank about 10 years ago and don't remember it being that high. But it's great to refill it for $3. I originally bought it for week long raft trips.

I don't use the Buddy heater for the camper although some folks do to reduce the battery usage of the fan forced heater. I usually sleep in the back of the truck if I'm car camping. It's great to fire up the heater in the evening and morning. It sure is nice to get out of bed warm in the Owyhees this time of the year.

Last edited:
Anybody else have trouble with Coleman propane cylinders lately? I bought a two 2-packs of their propane cylinders and the threads didn't screw on to the pressure regulator of my stove. Having 4 propane bottles not screw on to the regulator sure is a bad way to go after you've mixed your pancake batter. It's not the regulator, because other bottles have screwed on just fine since then.

I contacted Coleman about the problem, and they basically said "It's manufactured by someone else, contact them at this contact info". I'm not impressed with the Coleman customer service response.

Anyone else had similar problems?
Florida, hot and post tornady disaster, canister didn't want to close. So I did some tightening and loosening in small oscillations until it no longer seemed to be leaking, then I checked it out with a soap film. ... Having a brass cap on hand sounds like a good idea.

I have not had any issues for the past few years with those canisters. As of the last 6 months, I've been refilling them with a GasOne adapter.

I have not had any issues for the past few years with those canisters. As of the last 6 months, I've been refilling them with a GasOne adapter.
A few years ago I had one w/ faulty threading that actually resulted in a small fire, but that's one of dozens if not hundreds by now.

How is the adapter working for you? I started using a transfer valve to consolidate my backpacking fuel last year and it has me thinking about doing that for the bigger canisters, too.

How is the adapter working for you? I started using a transfer valve to consolidate my backpacking fuel last year and it has me thinking about doing that for the bigger canisters, too.
No problems so far. I'm on the forever DIY home remodel plan, so I've been using a portable stove until I get my kitchen back together. I go through a lot of propane canisters.

wow, reading back over this is a trip, talk about a part of your gear that you really *don't* want screwing up in the field, ugh.

re. taking a larger propane container, a friend who did that ended up being very happy that he mounted it on the outside of his vehicle after his system developed a leak. cold food is way better than an explosion!

wow, reading back over this is a trip, talk about a part of your gear that you really *don't* want screwing up in the field, ugh.

re. taking a larger propane container, a friend who did that ended up being very happy that he mounted it on the outside of his vehicle after his system developed a leak. cold food is way better than an explosion!
A friend sent out a PSA after his friend had one of the large propane tanks blow his van door off.

Back