Trip planning: 'tween North Wash and The Needles

baltocharlie

Hey folks; After I leave the BCP Spring fest I will head towards the Needles area for a 2 day backpack trip. Seems there is at least a day trip along the way. There's Natural Bridges, Butler Wash, Edge of Cedar State Park, Valley of the Gods..... probably lots more. What do you think are 'must sees'. Is 1 day enough? I know Grand Gulch is nearby but probably needs a few days to explore(on the future must see list). Is Hovenweep a little too far off course, probably? Day hikes, scenic roads, Indian rock art, ruins are what I seek. Thanks for any input.

Hey Nick: Posted this in the wrong section, sorry. Feel free to move to trip planning. Thanks

Hey Nick: Posted this in the wrong section, sorry. Feel free to move to trip planning. Thanks

Done. :)

With one day to kill between North Wash and The Needles...

I'd go hike Road Canyon on Cedar Mesa. The Citadel, Fallen Roof and Seven Kivas are all there and from what I understand, pretty easy hiking.

If you want a more relaxed day, just driving over Cedar Mesa and down the Moki Dugway to the Valley of the Gods would be totally worthwhile, especially if you have time to head down to Monument Valley. You can make it sort of a loop by heading back north via Bluff and Blanding instead of returning through Cedar Mesa.

Natural Bridges could be good, but only if you're actually going to do the hike. Not really worthwhile to just pull through and check it out in my opinion.

There are a handful of other good shorter hikes to cool ruins in and around Cedar Mesa. I really enjoyed hiking to Ballroom and Bullseye ruins in March a couple years back. I'm sure others could recommend similar hikes.

Check out this trip report by Seldom Seen Anderson
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/cedar-mesa-and-comb-ridge.710/

And this one by FourisTheNewOne
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/comb-ridge-cedar-mesa-may-2008.225/#post-2123

And this one by Deadeye008
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/cedar-mesa-march-2012.610/

THANKS!!! I just spent the entire night going over the links you posted, bought more maps and might never return to Baltimore after reading the trip reports. Way too much to do in this area. Tonight I was scoping out the Delorme, Kelseys Co plateau book, BLM maps...... One thing I know, whatever I pick can't be bad. Thanks again, going into work tomorrow with some bags under my eyes.
FWIW: Today it hit 72F, then some hellacious storms blew through dropping temps into the high 30s. Just a few days ago we had ice and snow. Mother Nature is really having some issues.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
Bob Planning an Expedition type trip....... check this list out ..... Trip Planning 13
RyanP Does knowing the geology of the CO Plateau give practical insight for trip planning? General Discussion 20
F Hammond Canyon, UT trip planning Trip Planning 9
6 Uintas Trip Planning Trip Planning 5
seaview53 Sawtooth trip planning. Iron Creek to Tin Cup Trip Planning 4
wsp_scott Yellowstone family trip planning General Discussion 27
McKee80 Trip Planning Puzzle for March Trip Planning 10
Nick New Feature for Supporting Members: Private Trip Planning General Discussion 4
MurrMan81 Help Planning Utah Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 9
N Planning a last-minute trip this weedend Trip Planning 1
DrNed Help With Float Trip Planning Trip Planning 3
TrektheWorld Planning a family trip to Utah (Park City + more!) Trip Planning 4
liam loftus Planning a wilderness area backpacking trip. Trip Planning 5
stu heilsberg Help planning Uintas trip Trip Planning 1
Blake Merrell Planning a Uinta Highline Trail Trip Trip Planning 51
steve Planning a packrafting trip to Hole in the Rock Trail - April 10-12 Meet Up (Members Only) 74
Vegan.Hiker Planning next summer's cross country trip... Trip Planning 22
J History Teacher here planning a backpacking trip for my students to Death Hollow...... Trip Planning 14
SirDonB General Canoe/Kayak Trip Planning Trip Planning 9
D Planning for 'mega' Canyonlands Trip Trip Planning 2
I Zion Trip Planning: Misery Canyon --> The Barracks --> West Rim Trip Planning 5
steve River Trip Planning - Labyrinth Canyon in May Trip Planning 41
Laura Planning next photography trip Trip Planning 9
Aldaron Trip Planning General Discussion 24
Boerboel Escalante Trip Planning Trip Planning 7
Archbishop Preliminary planning for a trip through NW AZ Trip Planning 17
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Bighorns (WY) Trip report Backpacking 8
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3