Trip ideas near or west of Vegas

Chuck the Mauler

Formally known as "kcwins"
I'd like to do a multi day backpacking trip in late April. About 5 days. I’m picking a buddy up in Vegas so I’ll be in Nevada. Any suggestions in the area between there and LA that won’t be totally snowed out? I’m trying to do it on the way to Baja.

I mean, J Tree is right on the way :) may be a little hot at the end of the month though...

Inyos have amazing views. That said, I wonder if they're snowed in still, given the big winter in the SW. Maybe call the Eastern Sierra Interagency in Lone Pine? At worst, they can look out the window and tell you if they see white up there :)

Kofa mountains in arizona..you'd have to go a little farther south. Explore old mines around goodsprings nv. Neat stuff all around. South of vegas

Kofa mountains in arizona..you'd have to go a little farther south. Explore old mines around goodsprings nv. Neat stuff all around. South of vegas
Agreed, Bob. The Kofa's are really pretty and unique, the mining stuff is cool, and you could easily not see another soul once you get into the mountains. However, Chuck, be aware that the hiking can be very rugged and loose and there's a lot of thorny stuff out there. Best advice is to wear long sleeves and pants, even if it's hot. Oh, and watch where you put your hands and feet.

There is Valley of Fire. My friends who live in Vegas love to go to Humboldt-Toiyabe, but I don't know the backpacking rules for either place actually.
You aren't too far from Death Valley, Mojave, and Joshua Tree (like others mentioned). Sure you will find somewhere great!

Back