Trip advice for huge Sawtooths loop

seekinglost

I am planning a rather ambitious route through the Sawtooths in late August and I am looking for input from those familiar with the area. This would be my first visit to the Sawtooths, or Idaho for that matter... I try to go somewhere new every year. I am looking for input regarding any sections of the route that would be impassible or too dangerous, boring or unscenic sections that could be rerouted somewhere better, any sections of nightmarish bushwhacking, good (scenic) camping areas and good fishing lakes along the route, etc.

My caltopo map is here: Click here to view on CalTopo - My route is in purple and labeled "my latest route"

I am planning on starting at Redfish lake and doing this hike in around 8 days, but haven't settled on the number of days yet. I can add or delete days if needed.

Nothing helpful to add, but I watch your youtube vids so it's good to see you've got another long trek tee'd up ;)

How was the trip @metalbackpacker ? I'm heading to the Sawtooths in a few days myself and I'm curious about how you found the pass between Baron Peak and Peak 9854. Did you end up following your planned route in purple? I was planning on attempting a similar route through that section.

Last edited:
I ended up revising the route and started from Pettit Lake. Nope I didn't follow the route as planed either once out there. I ended up cutting off the whole northern section, north of Baron lakes. This is the route I hiked:

Click here to view on CalTopo
Didn't make it up there to the pass between Baron Peak and 9854. However, having done the route I did above I would be confident to give it a shot. My toughest section was from Baron Lake over to Bead Lakes, then to Packrat Lake and over Packat Pass, and through a sketchy boulder field below Elk peak before dropping down into upper Redfish Lake Creek Valley. I have a feeling the route over Baron Pass is probably more doable then you think. I heard Packrat Pass was very sketchy going up from Packrat Lake but I did not find that to be the case.

The hike itself was great. Good fishing at Heart lake, Bead Lakes and Packrat Lake. Good weather except a little rain in the evening f day 6 at Packrat Lake. Saw the total eclipse from the pass above Baron Lakes, that was incredible! There were several other people up on the pass, maybe 40 or so scattered around. There were a lot of people on the trail before the eclipse(couldn't find a campsite at all at middle Cramer Lake and Baron Lake was packed), but it did die down afterwards. Then again, I was off trail for 3 days and saw nobody for 2.5 days during that stretch.

Just this morning I finished my video and posted it on youtube:

And Wrote up a long trip report on the hike here if you're interested in the details of the trip: http://metalbackpacker.com/sawtooth-wilderness-high-route-8-day-solo-hike-aug-2017/

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Trip Advice Trip Planning 17
D Advice for short backpacking trip in Robbers Roost Trip Planning 2
R Eastern Uinta Solo Trip Advice Request Trip Planning 5
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7
R 6 day Glacier National Park Trip August 6th-14th Advice Trip Planning 0
D Colorado advice?? Other trip suggestions?? Trip Planning 15
R Black hills trip advice Trip Planning 7
R Trip advice Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Need some trip advice General Discussion 9
Uncle_Dim Wasatch Front Quick Trip Advice Needed Trip Planning 8
mpuchtel Looking to give and receive trip advice Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
S Moab/San Rafael Swell Trip advice-family Trip Planning 6
N Need advice for a overnight trip Trip Planning 9
Tres Westbrook Advice for Stillwater Canyon Canoe trip - late May. Trip Planning 6
AKay09 Trip Advice. Yellowstone or Glacier in June? Trip Planning 18
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Bighorns (WY) Trip report Backpacking 8
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
Georgia Yankee Can't seem to edit my trip report Questions, Suggestions & Support 4
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
The Trout Whisperer Dad n daughter trip in the very near future… Hiking & Camping 7
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
bouldermtn May/June trip suggestions Trip Planning 0
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Planning an Expedition type trip....... check this list out ..... Trip Planning 13
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 3 - Buckskin Gulch Hiking & Camping 3
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Does knowing the geology of the CO Plateau give practical insight for trip planning? General Discussion 20
Janice Family trip to Grand Teton Memorial Day weekend? Trip Planning 5