Trimble Map/Battery

It'd be cool if it had a solar panel on the back of it. My next phone will definitely have a replaceable battery.

Interesting that they're selling the map cards that way. With the elite membership, you get unlimited downloads of all the maps of the US (only catch is: you have to download them county by county). I got all of utah for $3 my first month. I plan on getting California soon, then AZ and CO.

I've always felt that Trimble just tries to nickel and dime you, and this thing just seems to support that belief. Other apps have offline downloadable topo maps and satellite imagery for phones with just one upfront payment of $5-10, and other websites allow printing of topo maps for free.

As far as the replaceable phone battery goes, you can get a portable charger such as this or this. They accomplish the same thing as carrying a spare battery, without being tied to buying a particular phone in order to have a replaceable battery.

Trimble isn't for everyone, and there are cheaper options out there.

I was so close to buying a nice Garmin for $300, then I realized I could use my phone with Trimble for 10 years before I'd hit $300. I realize I'm paying for convenience, and there are cheaper options out there, but as long as my $3/month gets me all the features, I'm happy.

Yeah, that's a better choice than buying dedicated hardware, I think. But you might be able to save even more money with a different app.

No doubt. The time savings I get from trimble, as well as ease of use, fits my GPS needs far better than the other free ones I've tried.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Favorite map resources General Discussion 17
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
Bob Smoke Map ........ 2023 Trip Planning 24
J Needles Dist 2022 BC Zone Map Resource Discussions 1
kansas Good map of Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument? Trip Planning 5
Bob Drought map General Discussion 6
fossana Anyone know what happened to the USGS topo map API? General Discussion 12
Bob Map Download for Avenza Trip Planning 0
blueeyes What does this mean on a map? Trip Planning 9
3 Grand Canyon Traverse - Map? Trip Planning 0
N Caltopo map scale for backpacking trip Resource Discussions 7
Artemus Grizzly Bear Expansion Map General Discussion 23
Mike Jones Built a Custom Map Board for protecting my maps while hiking Gear 9
Nick New Snotel Map Resource General Discussion 4
DrNed Map for Coyote Gulch Trip Planning 6
Jammer Across Utah Map Trip Planning 7
Noun Sequitur Weird Map Stuff General Discussion 69
Aldaron Open Street Map General Discussion 5
Nick Uintas Mega Map Trip Planning 28
uintahiker Map Exchange Trip Planning 1
intuitive cat Escalante River System Springs & Surface Water Map Trip Planning 6
forest dweller Smartphones and how to get your battery to last... General Discussion 19
John Goering ACR PLB-375 battery replacement General Discussion 2
pstm13 Black Diamond Revolt Battery Charging Hack Gear 4
Bigred72 Backcountry DSLR Battery Power Photography 21
Nick Battery Management Gear 7
pstm13 DIY High Capacity Battery Pack for Phones and GPS @$40 Gear 4
Archbishop Anybody use battery packs? Gear 8