Trekking poles for lightweight tent

dfinn

Just bought my first lightweight tent. Looks like I need to figure out what to get for trekking poles now too

I just scored a really good deal off of ebay on a Tarptent Protrail. Looks like I now need to figure out what to get for trekking poles. I'm guessing I need to stick to the telescoping type, the folding ones don't look like they would work with the tent? Any good deals or decent less expensive ones I should be checking out? I only paid $150 for the tent, it would seem strange to spend more than that on trekking poles to go with it. Also, is there any lightweight trekking poles that can also double as backcountry ski poles? I normally tour with fixed length poles but have been meaning to get some telescoping ones and it would be cool if whatever I get for backpacking could do double duty and be used for skiing.

If anyone has any ones collecting dust that they want to get rid of I'd be interested in that too.

Had a pair of these for about 7 months before the bottom sections snapped off:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XM0YGW8/?tag=backcountrypo-20

I'm using MSR TR2 now and they are very strong, but they get stuck in extended position. Discontinued but I like them if I can get them unstuck:

These are good for the money and I have used them for 4 or so years. They last me about 8 to 9 months before bending. I am brutal on poles though. They'll hold your tent up even when bent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWNJ0HK/?tag=backcountrypo-20

I've had really great luck with the Cascade Mountain Tech trekking poles from Costco. They are somewhere around $30 and very durable. I wouldn't spend more.

Here's a review on by another guy...

+1 on the Cascade Mountain Tech poles. I have a spare set I don't need but you'd be better off just buying new ones for the price, unless you are somewhere in Wyoming and could pick them up. I used mine for two years with absolutely no issues or breakage...they actually hold better than my aluminum BD poles which slip slightly. And go for flick/quick locks, not twist locks.

Awesome, I'm looking for a set of those on amazon now. Thanks a ton for the suggestions!

perfect, that's what I went with except green with the cork grip.

I've been eyeing these same Cascade Mountain trekking poles for when my Black Diamonds die. They may never die though...I've had them for 10 years and they're still going strong.

One thing to consider - a shelter is only as strong as its poles. A lot of people use carbon poles, but those are more susceptible to cracking, and if they crack (either on trail or from wind loads while your shelter is set up), you're in a potentially dicey situation. For that reason, I prefer aluminum poles if I'm going to also have them serve as support for my shelter. They bend rather than break, and it's easy enough to just bend them back. Just something to think about!

One thing to consider - a shelter is only as strong as its poles. A lot of people use carbon poles, but those are more susceptible to cracking, and if they crack (either on trail or from wind loads while your shelter is set up), you're in a potentially dicey situation. For that reason, I prefer aluminum poles if I'm going to also have them serve as support for my shelter. They bend rather than break, and it's easy enough to just bend them back. Just something to think about!

Always possible but aluminum ones can bend.

I picked up a pair of these before my trip last week to replace my old Black Diamond aluminum poles that were leaving my hands black after each hike. I really beat on them hard last week and they have held up well. For the price, I'm pretty happy with them so far.

I've had really great luck with the Cascade Mountain Tech trekking poles from Costco. They are somewhere around $30 and very durable. I wouldn't spend more.

Here's a review on by another guy...

I've been eyeing these same Cascade Mountain trekking poles for when my Black Diamonds die. They may never die though...I've had them for 10 years and they're still going strong.

My BD's may never die, but they've been leaving my hands black after hiking with them, which I got tired of.

limited use so far but I was able to get out for a hike to Lake Blanche in Big Cottonwood Canyon the other night. I could only take 1 pole with it but it served me well. I recently broke my collarbone and one arm is in a sling ;)

I also used it to setup my new-to-me tarptent protrail in the front yard and I think it's going to work really nicely with the new tent. I'm hoping to get out for an overnighter soon for some better testing.