trekking pole and/or ultralight shelters?

steve

I'm in the market for a new shelter. I'm only interested in shelters that are under 2 lbs and are big enough for 2 people. What do you have and what do you like/dislike about it?

If it can be pitched with trekking poles, even better since I carry those anyway.

Tarptent Rainbow, slightly over 2lbs. Tarptent has other models that weigh less.

That one has been on my radar. Do you find that it lets sand/dust blow in when camping in the desert in the wind?

Part of me thinks that a tarp shelter or 'mid + bivy would be the way to go. The other part of me likes a tent with a floor and bug netting all around. Comfort, shelter, and ease of set is more important than having the absolute lightest shelter.

I'm eyeballing the HMG Ultamid and I'm not sure if I'd prefer the ultamid 2 or 4. I also question whether or not I'd be able to pitch this tight enough to the ground to keep dust/sand from blowing under it.

Yes sand comes if windy. My Rainbow weighs 2lb 2oz with regular poles, can use trek poles instead. A tarp shelter you will probably get sand blowing in as well. Son's MSR Hubba gets sand as well. Seems like that fine sand gets into anything. Only tents that won't will have a taller tub...hence weigh more. Easy fix for the sand, the Rainbow is big enough I just line the netted area with clothes, whatever...stops the breeze. I have been too many places where you get bugs (carpenter ants, fire ants).... not pleasant in middle of the night. Personally I am a tent person, would never go to a tarp, but they sell lots of them.

Great feedback bob, thanks. I prefer camping in the woods, but it seems like 60-70% of my camping is in the desert these days, so sand protection is pretty important to me. I suppose a well-positioned piece of Tyvek would do the trick.

That one has been on my radar. Do you find that it lets sand/dust blow in when camping in the desert in the wind?

I think sand is inevitable when in the desert. A half pyramid pitch with the entry facing a rock face might minimize the amount though.

I too have looked at a system of combining a bivy with a ul tarp but for now I just made my own hammock complete with sleeping pad sleeve, bug net, and a diy sil nylon tarp. It can all go to ground in addition to trees so I'm a lot less limited to where I can camp with it. Hammock and tarp all combined weigh just shy of 3lbs. If I really want to shave weight and know bugs won't be a problem, I can ditch the luxury of the hammock and take just the 11 oz tarp.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

the tarptent stratospire 2 looks pretty cool. I wonder how well it repels sand.

Yes, it might be time for an intervention. I have a sickness for wanting to try new things all the time, and tents are no different.

I have 4 shelters at the moment, but only 2 are under 5 lbs.

Last edited:
I will say, my HMG Echo II is my favorite shelter to date, it's just a little too small to pitch for an extended stay in the rain. I wish It were 6" taller.

Interesting articles.....take with a grain of salt though, get what works for you. All tents have bad and good. Disagree with some comments in it. I have always found a place to pitch my Rainbow, timber in Yellowstone, in sand, on rock, tundra in the Windrivers.. Reason I really like it is the size for weight/protection. I's been in 50mph crosswinds in Canyonlands, 4" snow in Yellowstone, 1 1/2 day deluge in the Winds. You can sit up in it and get dressed, there is enough room for your gear inside (has a vestibule though). Can be pitched with trek poles and no stakes. Sounds like you try enough gear out to know what you need. :)

I can give myself good advice, I just can't follow it. :)

I'm leaning two directions right now:

- Stratospire 2.
- light bivy and trailstar or similar tarp

Last edited:
Personally.....get the stratospire 2. :) But I'm not a tarp or bivy guy....

My buddy Mat has a statospire 2 and it's a great shelter. Every single person I have spoken to that owns a statospire 1 or 2 absolutely loves them. You can get the solid inner which helps with the sand but don't expect it to keep all the super fine stuff out since no tent really does that perfectly. I have a notch and for a solo shelter it's awesome as long as you're not a big guy and/or claustrophobic.

I haven't heard a bad thing about the stratospire yet either, it sounds like a great tent.