Training for elevation gain?

One more thing, the most important part: Rest. Sleep well and often. Do not overtrain. Consider stopping all training five days to one week before departure. You may find that you get a boost from that as your hike starts.
Similar to marathon training. taper before the race.

I've done all sorts of exercises and routines in the gym and nothing even comes close to actually hitting the trail. I find if I want to vastly improve my ability to climb elevation than I just have to get out there and do it as much as possible. There is a trail close to my house that is 4 miles RT and almost 2k feet of elevation gain. I do that 3 times a week and in a few months I feel like there aren't too many hills that tax me anymore.

Check out Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House. It's probably a little bit above and beyond what you're looking for, but the whole book is basically about training for inclines and elevation gain. You can customize a plan for the objectives you're trying to reach. Just skip the climbing aspect and focus on the cardio fitness.
I did order this book. Just starting to read it. Probably way more than I need but the principles are the same.

I've done all sorts of exercises and routines in the gym and nothing even comes close to actually hitting the trail. I find if I want to vastly improve my ability to climb elevation than I just have to get out there and do it as much as possible. There is a trail close to my house that is 4 miles RT and almost 2k feet of elevation gain. I do that 3 times a week and in a few months I feel like there aren't too many hills that tax me anymore.
That's awesome. With my work schedule I don't see many mid week hikes happening. But I am hiking every weekend.

I started walking at work during lunch, it's only 30 minutes but everything helps. I am hiking every weekend now. Usually a longer hike with gain on Saturday, last week was 7 miles 1,500ft gain and then a smaller 3-4 miles with little gain (dog hike :) ) on Sunday. This week we are doing something similar. I had a 25# pack on so close to what i will backpack in. I also made it back to OTF last night. If i can get to OTF weekly, subsidize that with a couple of regular gym workouts and hiking on the weekend I think I can get this old, fluffy butt in shape by summer.

I have been riding my bike all over the foothills the last few weeks as well as using the new stair climber at work over nights. Once the trails get serviceable I'll be hiking three or four times a week. During the summer I mountain bike at Crested Butte and Winter Park as much as possible and that keeps me pretty good to go for all of the Colorado area. We did the Four Pass Loop in the Maroon Bells last year and it was a burner.

I have been riding my bike all over the foothills the last few weeks as well as using the new stair climber at work over nights. Once the trails get serviceable I'll be hiking three or four times a week. During the summer I mountain bike at Crested Butte and Winter Park as much as possible and that keeps me pretty good to go for all of the Colorado area. We did the Four Pass Loop in the Maroon Bells last year and it was a burner.

I very much want to do Four Pass Loop the end of summer. Aug/Sept bt with 9,000ft go gain over 3 days that's killer!!!