Trail Riding in Jackson Falls (Shawnee Forest of Southern IL)

john.maldaner

A few pictures from a fall trail ride in southern Illinois. We live in far western KY, about an hour south of the Forest. We grew up in flatland country, central IL, not knowing the diversity of the landscape in the southern part of the state. Since 1990, we've lived in KY and for the past 20 years we've enjoyed southern Illinois hiking, and most generally, horse riding. Here's a few pictures from a fall ride.

This little tunnel is known as the "tin whistle," due to the sound of the train whistle! The sides are sloped, so keep your horse in the dead center to reduce the chance of slipping. Also, it's best to time your approach so as to avoid a passing train.

One of many water crossings.

My wife on her MFT gelding, Charming Legacy, aka "Legs". Great trail horse.

This area is popular with rock climbers, including many students from Southern Illinois University and on this day, a climbing family!

Can't start 'em too young!

This isn't exactly in the Jackson Falls area, but it will give you a little taste of trail riding in the Shawnee.

Outstanding! Love the sound of hooves clumping through leaves on the forest floor. And that climbing kid is exceptionally cute.

Ignorant question: what does MFT stand for?

Outstanding! Love the sound of hooves clumping through leaves on the forest floor. And that climbing kid is exceptionally cute.

Ignorant question: what does MFT stand for?

Missouri Foxtrotter. It is a “gaited” horse, meaning smooth and not choppy like the horses most cowboys ride. Quarter horses are the most common of the “stick” horses and are most commonly used for working cattle and such. Many people trail ride with them, too. But, there comes a time for many people that they want less jarring on their back and knees. Enter smooth gaited horses, such as Missouri Foxtrotters and Tennessee Walkers, to name two breeds. We have two Walkers and the one Foxtrotter.

Love the Shawnee National Forest area! I live (and grew up) in the St. Louis area (IL side), but my Dad came from the Carbondale area, and I still have relatives there. Spent time down there in summers as a kid, and to this day I love to camp, hike, etc. in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouri Foxtrotter. It is a “gaited” horse, meaning smooth and not choppy like the horses most cowboys ride. Quarter horses are the most common of the “stick” horses and are most commonly used for working cattle and such. Many people trail ride with them, too. But, there comes a time for many people that they want less jarring on their back and knees. Enter smooth gaited horses, such as Missouri Foxtrotters and Tennessee Walkers, to name two breeds. We have two Walkers and the one Foxtrotter.
Love your report! What a pretty area. I still have a QH and I love riding her, but I can't wait to start riding my colt after he's started this spring. He's not gaited, but watching him trot and canter is making me pretty darned sure he's going to be super smooth to ride. The older I get, the more I definitely agree with having a Cadillac for a horse. ;)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Hard work on the trail--literally Hiking & Camping 3
b.stark Brent's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Trans Canada trail Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Outdoors24 A weekend on the Pony Express Trail Off Road 2
wsp_scott Lakeshore Trail and two creeks in the Smokies Backpacking 6
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
TractorDoc CVNP Towpath Trail 07/16/2023 Hiking & Camping 4
balzaccom Trail Crews--one more time Backpacking 1
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
Bob New USA long trail Trip Planning 2
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
L Boulder Mail Trail April 2023 Qs Trip Planning 14
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Trail Crew Story General Discussion 0
marquiri Off Trail Advice Trip Planning 17
balzaccom More trail work! Backpacking 0
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 10/10 Backpacking 59
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 9/10 Backpacking 16
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 8/10 Backpacking 42
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 7/10 Backpacking 10
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 6/10 Backpacking 10
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 5/10 Backpacking 20
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 4/10 Backpacking 13
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 3/10 Backpacking 7
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 2/10 Backpacking 35
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 1/10 Backpacking 23
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
balzaccom Desolation Trail Work Backpacking 7
JBG Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail Trip Planning 6
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
4 Centennial Trail SD information Trip Planning 1
The Trout Whisperer I took on Hotter than H£#§ !!! Hotwater Trail in Texas… Hiking & Camping 19
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
balzaccom Help on the trail--literally General Discussion 7
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
priz1234 John Muir Trail 2021 Backpacking 8
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
chandlerwest Bryce Canyon - Under The Rim Trail Hiking & Camping 0
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36