Toroweap Questions

Sarah

Looking for a short getaway down south next weekend. Intrigued by Toroweap but a couple questions came up in my research. Insight from anyone who has been would be great (and sorry if these seem like dumb questions)!

Are reservations required for camping during the winter? It seems like it's seldom visited and it looks like the reservation system requires mailing in a form (which I doubt would get back in time before next weekend). But I want to make sure we play by the rules in that regard.

Is the road south of St. George closed during the winter? I saw something that said the conditions keep it closed from October-May, which seems odd. But I know it's a remote area and again, don't want to get in a tricky situation. We have a lifted Jeep Wrangler so not concerned from the offroading standpoint.

What's the approximate elevation of the campground? The weather in Tuweep sounds good but I didn't know if Toroweap was much higher up. Looking for some warmer conditions than in SLC, so if it will be chilly and snow-covered we might wait until later in the year.

Thanks for your help!

Are reservations required for camping during the winter? It seems like it's seldom visited and it looks like the reservation system requires mailing in a form (which I doubt would get back in time before next weekend). But I want to make sure we play by the rules in that regard.

You still need a permit before you go out. I got mine from the BLM office in St. George the day before. They call the GCNP permit desk while you are there to get it approved.

Is the road south of St. George closed during the winter? I saw something that said the conditions keep it closed from October-May, which seems odd. But I know it's a remote area and again, don't want to get in a tricky situation. We have a lifted Jeep Wrangler so not concerned from the offroading standpoint.

You should call the BLM office in St. George. I would imagine there are some snow issues. I went in from Colorado City so that way may be different.

What's the approximate elevation of the campground? The weather in Tuweep sounds good but I didn't know if Toroweap was much higher up. Looking for some warmer conditions than in SLC, so if it will be chilly and snow-covered we might wait until later in the year.

About 4,600' - 3,000+ feet above the Colorado River.

Here is a sat image taken on Jan 31, 2017. Looks like there's definitely some snow in between St. George and the Grand Canyon.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.go...2807395,-111.8393633230288,37.874413567807395

upload_2017-2-3_12-23-55.png

I've been eyeing that area as well. But my truck+trailer combo doesn't fit the 22 feet length requirement. I wonder how strictly they enforce that.

I've been eyeing that area as well. But my truck+trailer combo doesn't fit the 22 feet length requirement. I wonder how strictly they enforce that.

They come out and talk to everyone who drives down that road. I'm guessing they're pretty serious about it. Maybe not enough to get out a tape measure if you were close though. Although I bet they're pretty good at knowing what does and doesn't fit.

Ya doing some google-fu, I see campers with trailers in there. So maybe they are selective about it and just don't want people towing 5th wheelers and what not. :)

Sounds like you'd be hard pressed to find any trailer/vehicle combo that would fit under 22. My friend with the 4Runner and Turtleback is 26' and change.