Top Down Narrows for a first time backpack?

Laura

freespirittraveler
I'm planning another trip with my nieces this coming June and was wondering if the top-down Narrows hike is a good first backpacking trip? I've never done it myself. They loved the Narrows from the bottom up, but neither has backpacked. Last time one loved camping, the other one didn't but loved the Narrows. Advice?

I've never done the narrows all the way through. If you're prepared it might be a great one.

I usually advise new backpackers to start small and maybe hike in a mile or two from the car, then set up for the evening. That way if you forget anything super important, or if something happens, you can make it back to the car in under an hour. That's not to say the narrows won't be great, I just like to ease my friends in to it.

I think I would advise against it as well. I took two friends with very little experience on it several years back and they didn't enjoy it that much. They loved the scenery, but just thought it seemed long. (River walking with big packs will do that.) The kicker was when they were really tired and worn down... we run into ALL the day hikers in what is arguably the most scenic part of the canyon. "You mean we could have just day hiked to this part?!" they asked. :(

Maybe Death Hollow instead? Still in a lot of water, but easier walking and less people. Also some different ways to do it to dial it up or down in difficulty based on how the trip is going.

- Jamal

Glad I asked! Thanks everyone, I'm going to scrap this idea. I want to turn them on to backpacking, not make them hate every minute.

X2. Utah' s national parks are great, but we have some hidden gems that are every bit as good as national parks without the crowds.

Or Willow Gulch area, Davis gulch area, Coyote as mentioned

Zion Narrows is a long trip and can be really wet as well.

my first thought was also coyote gulch for a first time trip. that was my girl friend's first. and i think even doing lots of miles there isn't bad. and you don't have to do lots of miles any way.

Great ideas, but not for June. June in Coyote Gulch was where I got overcome with serious heat exhaustion. But that's an awesome idea for a first backpack in a cooler time of year (we're stuck with June because they're both in school now).

We're doing Zion because we're taking more canyoneering classes, and it's easy there. If they seriously get into the outdoors (the younger one probably will) then we're off to Escalante!

We did Coyote Gulch last year end of June. I was a bit hesitant first because of the expected heat, but it was pleasant down in the canyon.
Anyway, expect a lot of heat in Zion in June. I would consider another area for a first time backpacking trip and do day hikes instead in Zion in June.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tres Westbrook The Virgin River Narrows in Zion National Park From The Top Down Hiking & Camping 20
gnwatts Water Canyon (Cedar Mesa) top down General Discussion 11
uintahiker Chiricahua from the top down Hiking & Camping 6
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
ANelson Hiking to the Top of the Henry's (Mount Ellen) August 2022 Hiking & Camping 10
NorthwestWanderer Walking the top of Montana's CHINESE WALL | A Bob Marshall Trek Backpacking 14
Jackson Hollow Top Lake Backpacking 13
Bob Death Hollow - Top Half a revist..... Backpacking 0
Udink Boulder Top Hiking & Camping 4
WasatchWill To the Boulder Top Backpacking 9
Burrito Never-ending growing photo collection at the top of my daily hike... General Discussion 22
Perry Question About Number In Red Shown At Top of Main Page Questions, Suggestions & Support 2
JimmyW Top of Larabee Gulch, Monarch Mine, Elliston, MT Hiking & Camping 0
trasmuson3 Roof Top Tents General Discussion 22
M Climbing in St. George? Top Rope? Trip Planning 6
Udink Thousand Lake Mountain - Flat Top Hiking & Camping 4
Bob Cathedral of the Desert, Clear Creek - Top Access Resource Discussions 5
Duke Where are the top 25 Landscape photo locations Photography 13
Laura Looking for a place to take a photograph from the top of the Vermillion Cliffs Trip Planning 4
D West Route to Top Rock, North Coyote Buttes Trip Planning 3
Dan Epic Flash Floods - Top 5 Places to Watch the Mayhem General Discussion 11
Udink Farnsworth Canyon and Top of the Reef Hiking & Camping 6
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
Dreamer Way, way Down East Backpacking 13
Rockskipper Yellowstone visitation down 34% over Memorial Day - maybe price of gas? Any predictions for the summer? General Discussion 17
Miya Down Gear Odor Help Gear 31
Bob Cut the Trees down ...... General Discussion 2
J Moving down to Southern San Rafael Reef Wilderness for two more loop hikes April 13-14 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
balzaccom Down Under Everything Else 2
LoneWolfOutdoors Starting down the trail Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Miya Water Resistant Down Sleeping Bags? Gear 36
Dave Bumping down Muddy Creek On The Water 1
gnwatts Mosey down the Colorado On The Water 5
CaptnKidd Solo Trek Down South, Advice? Trip Planning 8
WasatchWill A quick overnighter down to Cedar Mesa Backpacking 11
Joey Upper Death Hollow and the Old Bowington Road, From Hell's Backbone down to the Escalante River Backpacking 24
Tater Head down quilts or box bags Gear 4
Mike K Down Pad Problem? Gear 2
Jackson Down Jacket Care Gear 7
Nick Help me win a float trip down Cataract Canyon General Discussion 19
Tres Westbrook Down East Maine - Cutler Coast Preserve Trails Hiking & Camping 4
IntrepidXJ Hydrophobic Down Test Gear 17
Nick Time to tear down Glen Canyon Dam? General Discussion 61
Joey Backpacking the Escalante: The Gulch down to Choprock Backpacking 6
M Anyone been down around Cedar Mesa lately? Trip Planning 5
12trysomething VIDEO: Meandering Down The NPT...UhOh Where Are My Keys? Backpacking 1
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Heart Lake down to the Snake River Backpacking 12
605troutbum Down Jacket Recommendations Gear 21