To Do in 2022

Hoping for a couple of international trips in 2022. Getting ready to book plane tickets to Cusco in June for some exploration of Inca ruins and to do the Ausangate>Lake Sibinacocha trek. Over the summer I would love to backpack Kesugi Ridge here in Alaska and also the Tombstones in the Yukon Territories (preferably late August to catch the fall colors and over our 20 year wedding anniversary). My son and I will also spend more time in the Wrangell Mountains early August backpacking and chasing Dall Sheep.

The only definite thing right now is Yosemite in the beginning of June (taking advantage of Glacier Point Rd being closed for construction)

1) maybe a Western NC bikepacking trip in March (depends on weather and friends)
2) something with my kids in the summer
3) maybe SEKI at the end of July/August

Okay so here is a good starting point. It always changes as the year progresses.

5 snowshoeing/winter hiking trips
7 or more bag/casita nights
Lose some of the weight I gained since breaking my back
Try to get over my PTSD related to cycling
Still trying to catch a cutthroat on a fly rod
Still trying to make it to the Newfoundland Mountains

March - Escalante area trip
May - Bryce Canyon Trip with some family from Kansas or if they decide not to come early May trip to Yellowstone
May - Drive the Item Redacted backcountry byway with my Dad and try to drag my brother along if he is available
August - Visit Great Basin National Park for a couple of days
December - like @Yvonne learn downhill skiing, although I think I am being forced whether I want to or not.

I would also like to just in general spend more time outdoors. We spent a fair amount of time outdoors last year, not necessarily hiking or backpacking but it was still great for the soul. This could include helping my in-laws do clean up on their lots near Cascade Lake in Idaho, rafting The Payette River, random fishing excursions, or rockhounding.

Also try to get in shape so I can eventually join an @scatman excursion.

April - SW Trip. Likely Steve Allen's Dark/Bowdie/Youngs Route and something else in the area to warm up for that.
June- Potentially Alaska with a Skurka Expedition.
July or August- Kings Canyon High Basin Route or WRHR or lower stakes 7-day trip in these areas
October/November- Back in the Southwest for something TBD.

Hope to see you out there. If you're looking for a partner to add to a trip, get in touch!

Okay so here is a good starting point. It always changes as the year progresses.

5 snowshoeing/winter hiking trips
7 or more bag/casita nights
Lose some of the weight I gained since breaking my back
Try to get over my PTSD related to cycling
Still trying to catch a cutthroat on a fly rod
Still trying to make it to the Newfoundland Mountains

March - Escalante area trip
May - Bryce Canyon Trip with some family from Kansas or if they decide not to come early May trip to Yellowstone
May - Drive the Item Redacted backcountry byway with my Dad and try to drag my brother along if he is available
August - Visit Great Basin National Park for a couple of days
December - like @Yvonne learn downhill skiing, although I think I am being forced whether I want to or not.

I would also like to just in general spend more time outdoors. We spent a fair amount of time outdoors last year, not necessarily hiking or backpacking but it was still great for the soul. This could include helping my in-laws do clean up on their lots near Cascade Lake in Idaho, rafting The Payette River, random fishing excursions, or rockhounding.

Also try to get in shape so I can eventually join an @scatman excursion.

If you can get in 5 snowshoeing trips this winter, you wouldn't have any issues on the Grizzly Lake trip in September. :thumbsup:

I almost made it to the Newfoundlands last spring in hopes of summiting Desert Peak. The weekend that me and a buddy had planned to go, the forecast called for rain, and I didn't want soggy conditions so far from anywhere. I'll have to think about trying again this coming spring.

If you can get in 5 snowshoeing trips this winter, you wouldn't have any issues on the Grizzly Lake trip in September. :thumbsup:

I almost made it to the Newfoundlands last spring in hopes of summiting Desert Peak. The weekend that me and a buddy had planned to go, the forecast called for rain, and I didn't want soggy conditions so far from anywhere. I'll have to think about trying again this coming spring.

I also have contemplated the Utah Newfoundlands. I was near there at Floating Island last summer and was going to head back that way, but something came up or I ended up going elsewhere. I cannot recall if it was one of the storms in September or just timing with someone who was willing to make the drive. I also would like to go when I can get buzzed by fighter jets during the night.

New Foundlands are a interesting range. some old mines, neat rock formations and remote. I think the south end is still locked off forcing yo to come in from the north.... by "the great salt lake pumps" boondoggle.

Yes it's that time of year again...Here's what I'm putting on tap:

1. Be more active again here on BCP (I went AWOL with a billion other interests the latter half of last year) and put up a TR of the big Wind River High Route trip @Blake Merrell and I did this past July. :)
  2. Get back to getting in at least 1 bag night a month (of course many more in the warmer months). I failed on this miserably last year.
  3. Check off a few more to-do's that keep getting put off year after year: The Barracks, Muley Twist Canyons, Alaska Basin/Teton Crest, and visit a few places in the Uintas I've yet to see in person (e.g. Amethyst Lake, etc).
  4. Also need to scout a few key points that will make or break my plans of what I hope to be a full thru-hike of the historic Hole-in-the-Rock Trail from Dance Hall Rock to the town of Bluff here in Utah.

1. Be more active again here on BCP (I went AWOL with a billion other interests the latter half of last year) and put up a TR of the big Wind River High Route trip @Blake Merrell and I did this past July. :)
  2. Get back to getting in at least 1 bag night a month (of course many more in the warmer months). I failed on this miserably last year.
  3. Check off a few more to-do's that keep getting put off year after year: The Barracks, Muley Twist Canyons, Alaska Basin/Teton Crest, and visit a few places in the Uintas I've yet to see in person (e.g. Amethyst Lake, etc).
  4. Also need to scout a few key points that will make or break my plans of what I hope to be a full thru-hike of the historic Hole-in-the-Rock Trail from Dance Hall Rock to the town of Bluff here in Utah.
I've been waiting for someone to do #4 for a long time now. It would obviously be super scenic, and for many people in this state, pretty meaningful. Would you take a motorized boat across the reservoir, or try and paddle it yourself?

New Foundlands are a interesting range. some old mines, neat rock formations and remote. I think the south end is still locked off forcing yo to come in from the north.... by "the great salt lake pumps" boondoggle.

Yes, you must approach the Newfoundlands from the north along the UP railroad causeway.

I've been waiting for someone to do #4 for a long time now. It would obviously be super scenic, and for many people in this state, pretty meaningful. Would you take a motorized boat across the reservoir, or try and paddle it yourself?
My plan would be to just paddle across Powell myself. Than arrange for my wife to stay a night with me down along Lake Canyon a night or two thereafter to pick it up and resupply me with food and what not for the latter half. My biggest concern with that though is not being seen by some high speed boat cruising by though or getting caught up in a big wake. I have had others offer to come down and ferry me across with their own motorized boat or what not if the scheduling worked out. It would certainly be more fulfilling to paddle myself.

In fact...getting across Lake Canyon is the biggest obstacle I for sure need to scout out to make sure the spots I think I could go down and back up and out at are as doable as they look on satellite.

The snowshoeing trips are usually in the 3-6 mile range so not too taxing. We headed out toward Jardine Juniper a couple days ago, decided to turn back a couple miles short of reaching the tree. A combination of getting a late start, running low on water, and running into a slope angle that made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

I definitely wouldn't want to be stuck out there if it rained, you could get stuck pretty easily on some of those roads. Accessing from the north works out well for where I come from. We were on the West side of the Hogup Mountains and it was really tempting to take off and head over the the Newfoundlands, but with no cell service we decided to stick with the plan that we had passed along and stuck to exploring the Hogups.

Next year will be a big change for me as I'm moving to Washington State in the summer and leaving the desert behind me for good.

1. Moving to Washington in summer
  2. local backpacking trips in Zion and the vicinity
  3. lots of cross-country skiing and snowshoeing if snow level permits
  4. finally, learn to downhill ski
  5. winter camping in the snow
  6. hike the Pine Valley Mountains
  7. hike a 1,000 miles
  8. climb Mount Saint Helens again
  9. visit the Enchantments
  10. backpack in Mount Rainier NP and do a section of the Wonderland trail
  11. see Olympic NP and camp at the coast
  12. go winter camping in Mount Rainier NP
  13. explore a lot of trails between Issaquah and the Snoqualmie Region, WA
  14. climb Mount Adams
Welcome to the PNW!
Good luck with #9 and #11 as permits for #9 are tough to get and if you plan on camping at an established campground on the Olympic Coast (#11) or anywhere in the park that is established for that matter, they sell out fast. If it is backcountry camping, well you are probably in a little better shape, but proximity to Seattle makes a lot of good places hard to get into (competing with others).
Try out nwhikers.net for a similar to BCP experience, although much saltier at times...
PM me if you want.

The through-hike of Hole-in-the-rock would be very interesting to me! My Great-great-great-grandpa was on that expedition. I have never seen beyond the crack onward to bluff. would be an amazing and very meaningful trip!

Downhill ski Copper Mtn CO (but will there be any snow?)
X-country ski beautiful Stokely Creek in Ontario (but will omicron prevent us from getting into Canada?)
First two trips on my list have been fantastic - great snow, no covid issues - hooray!

1) Copper Mtn CO
IMG_7575.jpg

2) Stokely Creek ONIMG_8174.jpg

Ehhhh...gotta to find a new job:confused:

Already off to a good start hunting offtrail arches in TN and KY, and redoing sections of the AL Pinhoti that I haven't hiked since 2010-2012, but have no certainty about the rest of the year.

Probably business as usual, though, with regular road trips around AL, to TN, KY, and N. GA, with an occasional drive to the Carolinas.

Hoping I can make it out West a couple of times. May have hit most of the high points in eastern UT over the past few years, but still have a lot of the High Uintas left to see, and never tire of the desert.
Made a friend in UT last fall who is not too far from Glacier NP in MT, and has messaged me with info about places there a couple of times, so I might have to take the hint.
I've been avoiding SW UT for over 7yrs, since it seems "tourist season" has become a year-round thing, but WasatchWill's post reminded me that I've never gotten around to the Barracks...

Overall I have to say I completed quite a bit of my goals. I definitely cannot complain. It was a fun and exciting year working here in the PNW.
Now I'm excited about what my move back to Hawai'i in February will bring.

1. Moving to Washington in the summer I did move for a job to Washington in April
  2. local backpacking trips in Zion and the vicinity this also did happen, even though I had only time for two trips
  3. lots of cross-country skiing and snowshoeing if snow level permits I did snowshoe a few times in April and May in Washington
  4. finally, learn to downhill ski this one never happened
  5. winter camping in the snow this one never happened
  6. hike the Pine Valley Mountains nope, I moved away before hiking season opened for the Pine Valley Mountains
  7. hike a 1,000 miles nope, due to the severe wildfire smoke for weeks I only made it to 940 miles
  8. climb Mount Saint Helens again Yes, I did it again and had a blast!!!
  9. visit the Enchantments This was the best!! First try on a permit and I got my permit in the lottery!! I guess I will never be so lucky again
  10. backpack in Mount Rainier NP and do a section of the Wonderland trail I backpacked a lot in Mount Rainier NP and finished half of the Wonderland Trail that way
  11. see Olympic NP and camp at the coast I did make it happen and could even see the bioluminescence at night
  12. go winter camping in Mount Rainier NP nope, this did not happen. The road was basically closed most of the time I could do it
  13. explore a lot of trails between Issaquah and the Snoqualmie Region, WA this did not happen because I stayed mostly around Mount Rainier and Mount Saint Helens
  14. climb Mount Adams the wildfires nearby prevented me from going. I was pretty disappointed