To Do in 2022

My general goals are to hike at least half a dozen 14ers and I’d like to ski at least 3 this spring. More backpacking as well though I think various claims on a finite pool of days off is likely to keep things to weekenders.

Downhill ski Copper Mtn CO (but will there be any snow?)

Finally started nuking the last couple days. I70 corridor not nearly as blessed as down south (4ft at CB!) but still got around 16” or so last 48h with another couple feet coming next ten days

Finally started nuking the last couple days. I70 corridor not nearly as blessed as down south (4ft at CB!) but still got around 16” or so last 48h with another couple feet coming next ten days
Thanks for the report! We've been checking and have been relieved to see the info and forecast. My husband loves the webcam!

I have absolutely no plans for 2022 at this point. Broke my foot this spring and it's still pretty messed up. So 2022 plans are entirely dependent on what the foot can tolerate. But happy to see everyone else's plans! Some cool looking stuff here.
Dang, I'm sorry to hear that! I don't know you personally, but a couple of your trip reports have been very inspirational to me... Best of luck with the recovery!

So if my left knee still bends, and my hips still rotate come spring, here are my 2022 plans:

1. April/May - 5 day backpacking trip in the Gila Wilderness

2. July - 5 day backpacking trip around Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone

3. July - On my 58th birthday, I plan on summitting the Pfeifferhorn here in the Wasatch, and possibly complete the Beatout Route, depending on how I feel that day.

3. August - 5 day backpacking trip in the Beartooths. This route will be to the west of the lollipop loop that I did las year, @Bob and @b.stark are on board.

4. September - 4 day backpacking trip into the Grizzly Lake area of Yellowstone with an invitation to those who would like to join (2 slots available still).

5. September - 5 day backpacking trip into the Wapiti Lake area of Yellowstone. Highlights of this trip include: day 2 with Bog Creek and Dewdrop Lake, along with Joseph's Coat Springs, and day 4 with Rainbow Springs and the Hot Spring Basin Group. Day 5, out through Pelican valley also has potential.

6. October - 4 day backpacking trip into the Teton Wilderness and hopefully reaching Moss Lake over the Columbus Day Weekend. This one is weather dependent. The weather kept me from accomplishing this in 2021. Anyone who wants to go with me is welcome.

So if my left knee still bends, and my hips still rotate come spring, here are my 2022 plans:

1. April/May - 5 day backpacking trip in the Gila Wilderness

2. July - 5 day backpacking trip around Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone

3. July - On my 58th birthday, I plan on summitting the Pfeifferhorn here in the Wasatch, and possibly complete the Beatout Route, depending on how I feel that day.

3. August - 5 day backpacking trip in the Beartooths. This route will be to the west of the lollipop loop that I did las year, @Bob and @b.stark are on board.

4. September - 4 day backpacking trip into the Grizzly Lake area of Yellowstone with an invitation to those who would like to join (2 slots available still).

5. September - 5 day backpacking trip into the Wapiti Lake area of Yellowstone. Highlights of this trip include: day 2 with Bog Creek and Dewdrop Lake, along with Joseph's Coat Springs, and day 4 with Rainbow Springs and the Hot Spring Basin Group. Day 5, out through Pelican valley also has potential.

6. October - 4 day backpacking trip into the Teton Wilderness and hopefully reaching Moss Lake over the Columbus Day Weekend. This one is weather dependent. The weather kept me from accomplishing this in 2021. Anyone who wants to go with me is welcome.
Lol .... You lost Rockskipper for Sept.... With the Bog Creek....

Last edited:
I'm very much in the middle of planning my 2022 right now, but I'm looking at the following:
  1. Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness - thanks to @Bob for putting this particular bug in my ear; looking at a pretty ambitious route through this area. Will be my first time in this wilderness.
  2. Sierra Nevada - it's been a while since I've made it California, but on an invite from a friend hopefully we'll be doing a few sections of Roper's Sierra High Route in August or September.
  3. Yellowstone - obviously I have to do at least one long-ish trip here - specific route probably depends on how my other trips line up; would love to do Bechler area in September though. Hopefully one or both of my brothers will join me.
  4. Younts Peak - I'm a goal oriented person and this one evaded me in 2021; hoping to hit it early-ish in the season, conditions permitting.
  5. GYE in October - I love October/November in the GYE, but trip planning that time of year can be dicey; hope to get a few cold nights out this year. Missed this in 2021 due to a combination of weather and getting beat up on my late September trip to the Winds.
Notably missing from the list is any trip to the Winds, but hopefully I can squeak out a weekend or two at least - even if it's "just" Silas Canyon or something out of Big Sandy. I'll also take my sons each out backpacking for a weekend - I'm thinking maybe the Black Hills for my 7 y/o first multi-night trip; probably stick to a one-nighter in RMNP for my 4 y/o.

All this discussion about the Beartooths has me itching to get out there, too - though realistically it might be too much to fit in this year. Gonna have to settle for driving Beartooth Highway out of Yellowstone most likely. Looking forward to some trip reports I can mooch off of for 2023 planning though.

My goals for skill improvement remain pretty much the same, though I did make some progress in 2021:
  1. winter camping - I got a few good nights in early season in 2021, but didn't do much in the late season. I could use more practice with the full-day travel in freezing temperatures - especially managing perspiration, but I think I've got the camping/sleeping part down pretty well.
  2. glacier travel / mountaineering "best practices" - didn't make any huge leaps in 2021, but continued to increase my comfort level and got a decent amount of high-angle practice on rock and low-angle practice on ice. None of my trips in 2022 will probably push this much, but I'll continue to be mindful and take practice where I find it. With a little luck I might be on track for a (cold/dark) trip to Alaska in November/December 2022, but trying not to get my hopes up too high.
  3. fishing - other than a very fun salmon run on the Kenai River this year, fishing was mostly on the back burner. Hoping that as my kids are getting older, it'll be easier to take them out to the water with me.

Lol .... I'd tackle part of the selway route with you .... If you can handle someone slow on the many uphill sections!
Your rock practice may be handy there...

Lol .... I'd tackle part of the selway route with you .... If you can handle someone slow on the many uphill sections!
Your rock practice may be handy there...
I'll let you know once I nail down a date range - would be great to have some company.

if you are looking for company and the dates work out, I'd love to come along on this one! have not summited the Pfeiff for a number of years now, and I've never done the beatout despite wanting to forever.

I have absolutely no plans for 2022 at this point. Broke my foot this spring and it's still pretty messed up. So 2022 plans are entirely dependent on what the foot can tolerate. But happy to see everyone else's plans! Some cool looking stuff here.
I feel ya. Wishing you the best and a full recovery

My general goals are to hike at least half a dozen 14ers and I’d like to ski at least 3 this spring. More backpacking as well though I think various claims on a finite pool of days off is likely to keep things to weekenders.
If you need/want a partner for some weekenders in CO, feel free to hit me up. When I bail on the wife and kids for a weekend solo, I feel a little guilty; but when I go w/ someone else my wife practically kicks me out the door - I think she worries about my social life (or lack thereof). :lol:

if you are looking for company and the dates work out, I'd love to come along on this one! have not summited the Pfeiff for a number of years now, and I've never done the beatout despite wanting to forever.

You're more than welcome to come on this hike. July 14th will be the day. My daughter will be attempting this too I think, and I'll be getting a very early start, particularly if I do the Beatout since it will most likely take this old man most of the day to complete. :moses:

Attachments

• Beatout__Pfeifferhorn_to_Bells_Canyon__from_White_Pine_TH.kmz
    41.1 KB · Views: 8
We've got a couple of commitments for next year that count as plans.

Jan-Feb we'll be in South America as I lead a wine group there.

And we'll do an Alaska cruise in June with a local winery as well.

But in between we'll spend about a month in the Southwest, mostly in April.

And then we'll have July, August, and September to backpack in the Sierra. We're looking at quite a few trips on the East side, from another foray into Sabrina Basin to Bishop Pass and beyond. And maybe even try to get into Florence Lake...although my wife does NOT have fond memories of that road after our experience last year with the Creek Fire...