To Do in 2019

I have some of the same goals as last year as well as some new ones. Hopefully I get time to complete all of them.

- Snowshoe around Cedar Breaks.
- Go do the mountain biking trails at Dead Horse Point Sate Park.
- Spend some more time backpacking in Capitol Reef.
- Go canyoneering. I had big expectations last year to do a bunch of canyoneering but it never worked out.
- Go out for a weekend of exploring the San Rafael Swell
- Try to hike Mt. Nebo and later Notch Peak.
- Camp at least one night per month. This one I have tried to do for several years and I have yet to accomplish it. I hope I can get motivated this year for it.
- Do other backpacking trips.
- If I get lot's of extra time I would also like to do some canoeing on the Green River

Beyond my solo Utah trip this spring, I’m trying to get myself out of my comfort zone and up to Glacier and Banff. I’m not a big mountain hiker, but my wife wants to go and our long term goal is to hit as my National Parks as we can, so it will be interesting to try and backpack a few days in someplace I’m entirely unfamiliar with.
Also, I need more backpacking friends. Everyone wants to go until it’s time to go. So if anyone finds themselves around Red River Gorge in Kentucky, I’m in!

@Bob @Brendan S Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up the Grand Canyoneering book last year, and have quite a few things bookmarked. It definitely renewed my interest in exploring that area. At some point I should look into a packraft to open up more options.

Reactions: Ben
My 2019 bucket list
Canyonlands Maze District...4WD to Doll House
Canyonlands hike the full Salt Creek trail
Summit Mt. Timpanogos via Aspen Grove TH
Sawtooths loop to hit up Hell Roaring Spring, Imogene, and Cramer Lakes
Eagle Cap Wilderness, return to location of my first backpacking trip (1988)
Seven Devils loop
Uintas: Buck Pasture, Dead Horse Lake, Rock Creek Basin and Four Lakes Basin
And maybe throw in a river trip on the Snake River by Jackson (Hoback)

Beyond my solo Utah trip this spring, I’m trying to get myself out of my comfort zone and up to Glacier and Banff. I’m not a big mountain hiker, but my wife wants to go and our long term goal is to hit as my National Parks as we can, so it will be interesting to try and backpack a few days in someplace I’m entirely unfamiliar with.
Also, I need more backpacking friends. Everyone wants to go until it’s time to go. So if anyone finds themselves around Red River Gorge in Kentucky, I’m in!

My wife says I need friends in general, but outdoor friends would probably work also :)
One of my goals this year is to hike at least once each month in RRG, maybe we can meet up. I don't like backpacking in the gorge, but if you are camping maybe we could meet up for a dayhike.

Thru-hikes:
Route-In-Between (my own route thru AZ/UT/ID, including the Arizona Trail and most of the Idaho Centennial Trail)

Shorter long-distance trails:
San Diego Trans-County Trail
Ozark Highlands Trail
Ouachita Trail

Short backpacking trips:
Aravaipa Canyon
Big Bend National Park

Other goals:
See a bear (not happening, but I'm putting it on my to-do list every year until it does happen)
Hit 200 nights in the Bag Night Challenge
Get at least one Bag Night every month of the year

The Back Burner:
Benton MacKaye Trail
Finally start backcountry nordic touring
Hike in the La Sals

30 hours of straight meditation (just sit, don't move anywhere) while wrapped in bacon, in the spring when the snows are melting in the NorthEastern Windrivers you.will.see.a.bear. :O

My goals are tentative. Last year I was unemployed for seven months, and just when I got a new job I headed to Yellowstone. At the end of that trip my right leg started to hurt something fierce. The diagnosis was arthritis and I am having to adjust. Thus I set my goals, but am giving myself a great deal of leeway as I may find them beyond me. They are, just the same, something to shoot for, even if I can't really make it.

Three days by Jeep on White Rim
Hike 125 miles total for the season
Hike to Chesler Park
Hike to Paul Bunyan's Potty
Visit Hovenweep
Several short weekend trips to parks and forests throughout Wisconsin for summer camping

I am afraid that much more is beyond me since I haven't yet earned enough PTO to travel much, and will likely have to have surgery in October.

No set goals. Maybe should though. More day hikes. Spend some time in the Sawtooths. Just do more than than last year which won’t take much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After having a blast in Nepal last year we're hoping to go back to the Himalayas for a trek with friends in Leh, India.

Also would like to pull off a canoe trip down the Yukon River from Lake Laberge to Carmacks.

Also would like to pull off a canoe trip down the Yukon River from Lake Laberge to Carmacks.

I've been dreaming of that trip for about 10 years now, maybe when my kids are a bit older. If you manage to do it, please post a trip report

Summit Mt. Timpanogos via Aspen Grove TH
Sawtooths
Eagle Cap Wilderness, return to location of my first backpacking trip (1988)
Uintas: Four Lakes Basin

All on my bucket list! Gonna hit some of those this summer! Eagle Cap would be amazing!

Last edited:
I had a blast in 2018! Hoping to keep the same pace...

2019 Goals
  1. A two week trip with my mom to Glacier, Banff and Jasper in August. This will be a car camp trip, limited hiking, mostly sightseeing by car. I would like to get one good solo day hike in at each place after I find a suitable spot for mom to enjoy nature and a good book.
  2. Backpack Buckskin Gulch in May
  3. Start knocking out sections of the CDT by bike. I plan on riding various sections in 3-4 days as an out and back or shuttle set ups if I have willing companions. I would love nothing more than to do the entire route from Banff to Antelope Wells uninterrupted and someday I just might, realistically I don't see that happening anytime soon.
  4. Fitz-Barn bikepack race only goal here is to complete the race with out getting lost.
  5. Bikepack Rainbow Rim.. love that trail.
  6. Bikepack Big Holes the end of May with the Fitzgerald Crew.
  7. SKI as many Sundays as I can between now and the end of the ski season. Throw a few Mondays in for good measure.
  8. At least one good Kayak camp trip. No clue where that will happen yet... wait and see what my Idaho friends cook up and tag along.
  9. Hike a few of these trails around Ogden.
  10. Of course ride my mountain bike as much as possible on old favorite trails and explore new trails. Maybe actually hit 1000 miles this year.
  11. Sweaty Yeti Fatbike Race in February.
  12. Maybe the 25 hours of Frog Hollow again. I still haven't hit my goal on that race.

Bush plane flights are booked, so here goes nothing: 14 days in Wrangell-St. Elias. Working on getting all the rest of the logistics finalized and agonizing over caltopo and Google earth (and will continue to do so until I leave for AK in august). Let's hope my days of off trail experience in the lower 48 don't fail me up there!

Bush plane flights are booked, so here goes nothing: 14 days in Wrangell-St. Elias. Working on getting all the rest of the logistics finalized and agonizing over caltopo and Google earth (and will continue to do so until I leave for AK in august). Let's hope my days of off trail experience in the lower 48 don't fail me up there!

super cool, can't wait for that trip report

How's everyone doing this year so far?

I broke my back in May so that kind of slowed me down. I just got the thumbs up to increase activity levels a couple of weeks ago, so I'm hoping to start adding some miles and hopefully get a few nights in a tent or our casita.

My goals were pretty modest.

1. Goal was hike 100 miles - so far I am at 60.29 miles
2. 5 nights in a tent or our casita - so far I am at 3
3. 5 snowshoeing or winter hiking trips - so far I am at 4

How's everyone doing this year so far?

• Snowshoeing in the Wasatch and the Uintas a few times. Really hoping for some good snow this year. Last year sucked. Done. Fantastic year for snow recreation.
  • A desert backpacking trip over spring break. Did a more touristy trip to the Grand Canyon. Not disappointed.
  • A few nights backpacking in the Escalante or Cedar Mesa area (or wherever else we decide down there) in May. A friend of mine is planning on coming out with his brother and his brother's friend, and it will also be my celebration of graduating law school. Ended up being a Winds trip in mid-July. Not complaining.
  • A bigger Teton Wilderness trip, hopefully right after I take the bar. No firmly set route, but I'd really like to get up on the Buffalo Plateau, see the headwaters of the Yellowstone, and get to the Hawk's Rest area. Nope. One of the bigger disappointments.
  • Other overnighters as time permits. These shouldn't be too hard to fit in on weekends. Hoping to get my first one the first week of January, before school starts up again. Jury is still out on this one. I should have a trip or two in September and hopefully another in October.
Honestly better than I thought it would be when I first read your question. It's felt like a less-than-stellar year since I had bar exam study during late spring and all summer and then several weddings to attend. We also adopted a dog with isolation/separation anxiety, and that has been a bit restricting as we train her (I should just take her backpacking with me, huh?). Looking like I should be able to get a few more backpacking trips in before the snow falls though.

Based on your instagram and bag night challenge posts, it looks like it's been a fruitful year for you so far, @IntrepidXJ!

no big plans, I just want to survive the year and have a little bit of play time.

1. get at least 5-10 camp nights done, I have 19 so far
  2. do at least one hike per week I slack right now because of my foot injury
  3. go cross-country skiing and snowshoeing it was an awesome winter and I went a lot, even had my first cross-country ski race
  4. another week-long vacation in Yellowstone done, one week was way too short
  5. visit and soak in a hot spring did not happen
  6. do a few 20+miles day hikes this got cut short as well because of my ankle injury

My plan was at least 500 hiking miles, so far I have 623 so I updated my goal to 750 and hope I can finish with 750+ miles by the end of the year.
I'll lose a few weeks now because of my ankle injury but hopefully I can catch up after that.

The only definite plan I have is a return to SEKI in July/August. I've got the plane and car rental booked and next month permits open. I'm hoping for 8 nights exploring the Upper Kern River area. Fingers crossed for no fires

I'm going to try to find time to take my kids for 3-4 nights to see the synchronous fireflies in the smokies in early June.

I hope to get a couple other 3-5 night trips here in the SE and then the usual car camping and kid backpacking.

Goals: 45 bag nights and a hike at least once a week and I'm going to attempt to hike at least once each month in the Red River Gorge

Return to SEKI happened (trip report soon)

Kid's soccer and travel got in the way of the fireflies, but other backpacking trips/nights with kids happened

no way I hit 45 nights, now hoping for 30ish

So far a good hike every week and lots of RRG hiking (this was the best/most significant goal. Getting out on a trail for 4-7 hours each week is doing wonders for my mental health)