To Do in 2018

I'm revamping my to-do's for 2018 based on recent developments. Permits have been secured and I've also trained my fat arse back into the best shape I've been in for years so I am going back into full backpacking and canyoneering mode this year! Here's my new schedule so I can hold myself to it later on:

• Westwater Canyon rafting in March (and more later in the year)
  • Toroweap in March
  • Grand Gulch/Bullet Canyon backpacking in April
  • Gates of Lodore rafting in April
  • Mystery Canyon and other Zion canyoneering in May
  • San Juan River rafting in May
  • Upper Death Hollow backpacking in May
  • No plans for June yet...
  • Stillwater and Cataract Canyon rafting in July
  • Main Salmon River rafting in July
  • Finishing the Uinta Highline Trail in August!!!
  • A week in Glen Canyon in September

Possible other backpacking to fit in the mix:
  • Parunuweap via Fat Man's
  • Some Dirty Devil action
  • Slickhorn and more Cedar Mesa in general

This is shaping up to be an outstanding year.
Wow Nick. That is a great year. If you do even 2/3 of that, its like the best year ever

No structured goals this year. I just want to get out more and I’ll see where that leads me.

The only solid plans are to go see my buddy @Ben out in Idaho July 31st, then Denali NP early August with @Chuck the Mauler, @Joey and two of Chuck’s buddies I had the pleasure of hiking with 2 years ago in CNP.

The idea of a trip out west with my wife in the Fall has been thrown around but nothing’s set in stone as of yet.

Other than that I’ll be wandering the northeast with my dog Lucy as much as possible.

Now thought I would say something on my plans for this year of 2018. On page 1, I posted how my plans are to go back into the Absarokas all summer with possibly starting in May at some point. My plans have basically not changed. I will still be going back to the Absarokas - Teton and Washakie - North Absaroka Wildernesses and are for this summer season with possibly way wayyy into the fall also.

But I might have to revamp these plans a bit myself for in the latest snowpack surveys for the area ... the Snake River Area (West of the Continental Divide) is at now 122% of normal, the Yellowstone Drainage which includes the Thorofare is at 167% of normal, and the Shoshone Drainage (East of the Absaroka Divide_ is at 165% of normal. This means probable flooding down low. This means I might have to take it more slow, just living in the wilds in some of those back places with waiting for the high snows to melt, then covering all the areas I wanted to during my summer hiking. A summer only last soooo long and with all of that country, guess just go back into those wilds and just Enjoy Life in the Wilds. But with all the snow and then snow melt, it will be sure to be a green summer with tons of flowers up high for the Thorofare and the Absarokas. Guess just take everyday as it comes with enjoying the wilds.

One place am thinking for the fall and late fall, it going way up the Elk Fork in the Absarokas and in the Washakie Wilderness outside of Cody. have been watching this area the last some winters. This area is down low, does not get the snow as the higher elevations do, has a place where the wildlife go winter, is beyond the road and such with being in the wilderness. In the lower places here in the Elk Fork, and being east of the Continental Divide and the Absaroka Divide ... possibly a place to linger wayyy into the late fall with enjoying the wilds. Here it would be more mild maybe in late fall while places to the west in Yellowstone or the Teton Country might start having their full winter conditions.

For one thing for sure, can't wait till spring and summer. Am surely getting tired of all the dramas one encounters when one is in town and among so called 'Civilized' Humanity. Out in the Deep Wilds - in The 'Real' World!

Wishing Everyone the Best!

4 days backpacking K’esugi Ridge right outside the NP boundary in Denali State Park. Starting at Little Coal Creek TH and hiking southbound ending at Byers Lake. After that a few days exploring the NP. Not sure of the exact plan inside the NP though yet.
Sounds like a great time!! If you guys get the chance to go up to Fairbanks, stop in the Alaska Public Lands Information Center & ask for Adia ... she's my daughter-in-law & is the lead ranger there.

Sounds like a great time!! If you guys get the chance to go up to Fairbanks, stop in the Alaska Public Lands Information Center & ask for Adia ... she's my daughter-in-law & is the lead ranger there.

Will do! That sounds like a dream gig for sure.

If the plan holds, looks like I'm going to make the run to Moab for a short spring fever trip right at the end of april/beginning of may. Since I will be solo I think it will just be dayhikes. Thinking of spending most of my time there in the Needles.

I do not have many goals, as I do barely have more than a day in a row off.
But for sure I want to hike at least 1500 miles this year. Last year I ended up with 970 miles, but I only started my job in June.

Trips planned:
climb Mauna Kea
backpack Mauna Loa
overnight trip to Halape, one of the coolest coastal backcountry sites we have
eventually backpack to Waimanu Valley

Nixed our idea of backpacking in Kootenay and instead secured permits in Tombstone Provincial Park the first week of July.

Plane tickets to Nepal have been booked! Hoping that an 11 day trek is not too much for our 11 and 9 year olds.

4 days backpacking K’esugi Ridge right outside the NP boundary in Denali State Park. Starting at Little Coal Creek TH and hiking southbound ending at Byers Lake. After that a few days exploring the NP. Not sure of the exact plan inside the NP though yet.

If you're looking for some great scenery/fishing take a day to drive the Denali Highway to Windy Creek. Awesome grayling fishing up Windy Creek. Make sure to go before all the caribou hunters, myself included, inundate the place on August 10th.

I'm revamping my to-do's for 2018 based on recent developments. Permits have been secured and I've also trained my fat arse back into the best shape I've been in for years so I am going back into full backpacking and canyoneering mode this year! Here's my new schedule so I can hold myself to it later on:

• Westwater Canyon rafting in March (and more later in the year)
  • Toroweap in March
  • Grand Gulch/Bullet Canyon backpacking in April
  • Gates of Lodore rafting in April
  • Mystery Canyon and other Zion canyoneering in May
  • San Juan River rafting in May
  • Upper Death Hollow backpacking in May
  • No plans for June yet...
  • Stillwater and Cataract Canyon rafting in July
  • Main Salmon River rafting in July
  • Finishing the Uinta Highline Trail in August!!!
  • A week in Glen Canyon in September

• Parunuweap via Fat Man's
  • Some Dirty Devil action
  • Slickhorn and more Cedar Mesa in general

This is shaping up to be an outstanding year.

Looks like a full plate of awesomeness. I've got Parunuweap penciled in myself for mid-late September. Hoping to hit it when thunderstorm potential decreases and water level is lower. May try to fit it in October as a backup. Fat Man's looks like it'd be fun, but since I would likely be solo and don't have any canyoneering gear for the short rappels anyways, I was just going to make the long drive around to the south and make the quick entry there, set up a basecamp, and spend a day or two exploring upper and lower and the side slots.

Hell Hole Lake redemption trip this summer for sure. I know where the trail is now. I was so close......:facepalm:

Just the usual backpacking haunts in the Uintas including some new destinations I have not been to. For sure some family camping this year. Even have a trip to the Oregon coast on the itinerary this summer.

Last edited:
I'm going to hit up the Teton Crest Trail (assuming I can get walk up permits) and then a Uinta Priord and Deadhorse lakes loop. So jealous of all you that get out a lot! I have young kids still so two bigger trips is all I can get out of my wife right now!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Looks like all my plans have gone well this year as I've done everything I originally said I was going to do in this post from December. Now for the rest of the year...

I'll be spending the next few months in the mountains peak bagging and backpacking. Hoping to get in a couple 14ers.
Still planning our first backpacking trip into the Uintas in September
Got a river trip planned through Labyrinth Canyon
Just got a backcountry permit secured for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in November
Annual Arches trip for Christmas

I don't usually post up in these threads, but since I already have some permits for 2018, I'll go ahead and do it this year.

In January I'm going back to Coyote Buttes North and South
In February I'm going to Cedar Mesa / Bears Ears
In March I'm backpacking into Chesler Park.
In April I'm heading back to The Maze and also going on another Grand Gulch backpacking trip.
I'm planning on spending some time in Dinosaur in May

I'm hoping to hike a couple 14ers in the Sawatch Range this summer.
Thinking about my first backpacking trip into the Uintas in September.

I do not have many goals, as I do barely have more than a day in a row off.
But for sure I want to hike at least 1500 miles this year. Last year I ended up with 970 miles, but I only started my job in June.

Trips planned:
climb Mauna Kea
backpack Mauna Loa
overnight trip to Halape, one of the coolest coastal backcountry sites we have
eventually backpack to Waimanu Valley

and now I need a new To Do list :eek:

Oh I like revisiting this mid-year. I'm doing GOOD! I've gotten most of my list plus some things not on the list. And I've got even more planned that never made the list!

Prior post with notes:

• Westwater Canyon rafting in March (and more later in the year) Not done. Complications keep messing this up.
  • Toroweap in March DONE!
  • Grand Gulch/Bullet Canyon backpacking in April Didn't do this but did something I wanted just as much in Escalante, so I'm calling it DONE!
  • Gates of Lodore rafting in April DONE!
  • Mystery Canyon and other Zion canyoneering in May DONE!
  • San Juan River rafting in May DONE!
  • Upper Death Hollow backpacking in May I don't think I'll get this one this year.
  • Stillwater and Cataract Canyon rafting in July Cataract DONE in June! Won't do Stillwater.
  • Main Salmon River rafting in July Not doing the Main anymore, but even better, I did the MIDDLE FORK in June! So DONE!!
  • Finishing the Uinta Highline Trail in August!!! Early July actually. DONE!!!
  • A week in Glen Canyon in September Cancelled in favor of trips in our new Four Wheel Camper.

• Parunuweap via Fat Man's Might still happen this fall.
  • Some Dirty Devil action Might still happen this fall.
  • Slickhorn and more Cedar Mesa in general Might still happen this fall.

This is shaping up to be an outstanding year. Best. Year. Ever.

Oh I like revisiting this mid-year. I'm doing GOOD! I've gotten most of my list plus some things not on the list. And I've got even more planned that never made the list!

Prior post with notes:

• Westwater Canyon rafting in March (and more later in the year) Not done. Complications keep messing this up.
  • Toroweap in March DONE!
  • Grand Gulch/Bullet Canyon backpacking in April Didn't do this but did something I wanted just as much in Escalante, so I'm calling it DONE!
  • Gates of Lodore rafting in April DONE!
  • Mystery Canyon and other Zion canyoneering in May DONE!
  • San Juan River rafting in May DONE!
  • Upper Death Hollow backpacking in May I don't think I'll get this one this year.
  • Stillwater and Cataract Canyon rafting in July Cataract DONE in June! Won't do Stillwater.
  • Main Salmon River rafting in July Not doing the Main anymore, but even better, I did the MIDDLE FORK in June! So DONE!!
  • Finishing the Uinta Highline Trail in August!!! Early July actually. DONE!!!
  • A week in Glen Canyon in September Cancelled in favor of trips in our new Four Wheel Camper.

• Parunuweap via Fat Man's Might still happen this fall.
  • Some Dirty Devil action Might still happen this fall.
  • Slickhorn and more Cedar Mesa in general Might still happen this fall.

This is shaping up to be an outstanding year. Best. Year. Ever.

Of course it was the year I have 2 kids under 2. Seriously though, couldn't be more excited for you.

Since my original plans were completely interrupted by our volcano and my relocation, I had to make new plans for this year.
They are not very special at all, but I hope I can make some of them happen

-hike more than 1,000 miles
-run a 5k
-backpack in the Winds again
-Uintas backpacking trip in September
-Parunaweap Canyon in the Fall
-shoot monsoon at Grand Canyon
-overnighter in the Tushar Mtns
-do the Deertrap Mtn/Cable Mtn. day hike
-West Rim Trail on a Full Moon night
-fall foliage in Colorado