To Do in 2017

Now as far as my plans for this year 2017 are ....

Now in the last four years, 2013 to 2016, I have gone to Alaska and traveled all over. This year is to return to my Thorofare and Absaroka Mountain home here in NW Wyoming. Personally have spent many a summer here off and on since 1982. I will most likely be starting out in mid to late May and hopefully go to late September or October. And this will most likely all be by my lonesome as usual. Also in my wanderings, live off the land also with using the edible and medicinal plants and such.

In Late May and June ....
1.) Late May - the Soda Fork Meadows and area in the Teton Wild.
2.) Via Pacific Creek to the Yellowstone's Thorofare near Bridger Lk. for a good long while. Maybe snowshoe in early if too much snow and the Thorofare will turn into a lake.
3.) Up the Thorofare River in mid to late June to upper Hidden Creek and the upper Thorofare River Area with it's nice meadows. In here in the late spring with the melting snow and such all by my lonesome.
4.) Back to the Thorofare and out by the 4th of July for a resupply

July and early August ....
1.) Back to the Thorofare
2.) Up to the headwaters of the Yellowstone River to the Younts Peak Area
3.) All around in the Younts Peak - Thunder Mountain - Thorofare Plateau Area
4.) The Continental Divide Crest from Younts Peak to Two Ocean Pass
5.) The Absaroka Divide from near Younts Peak / Thorofare Mtn. to Ishawooa Pass and Creek
7.) Resupply in Cody and see the Buffalo Bill Museum again.

August and First Part of September ....
1.) Upper Mountain Creek Area (Yell. NP and the Teton Wild.)
2.) Extensively over the Trident Plateau Area (Yell NP and the Teton Wild.)
3.) Two Ocean Plateau and Fox Park at the headwaters of the Snake River
4.) Big Game Ridge and Gravel Peak Ridge (Teton Wild.)
5.) Out via the Soda Fork Meadows by early - mid September

Mid September
Go to the Rabbitstick Gathering , Sept. 11 to 17th, near Rexburg, Idaho. Here they teach the old hunter-gatherer skills and have been here often in years past.

Late September - October - If Possible
1.) The Upper Lamar River in Yell. NP
2.) Along the North Absaroka Crest with visiting the Hoodoo Basin, upper Littler Lamar River area, the Pyramid Peak Area, Mist Creek Pass if possible, and out with a resupply.
3.) Back to Jackson Hole in October via Yellowstone's Thorofare and Two Ocean Pass

If possible would like to do a spring trip to Zion Park and maybe the Escalante Region in April but with everything, maybe not this spring. Life is Great! If I don't get it all accomplished, just getting out into the deep back wilds (away from society's big mess all summer) and enjoying life is a Big Big Success. Anyway this is my plans for now. But if it keeps snowing, might have to delay and change my itinerary abit.

Wishing Everyone the Best!
Aw man i gotta run my proposed Absarokas route past you... sounds like you have a lot of local knowledge. Great year of trips... we expect a dozen trip reports now! :)

Aw man i gotta run my proposed Absarokas route past you... sounds like you have a lot of local knowledge. Great year of trips... we expect a dozen trip reports now! :)

Larry Boy, now am happy to help you out all I can. Just get in touch with me when you need help and will be more then happy to help you out.

Yes for many a summer have been out hiking all over the Absarokas. In fact since 1978, most summers have hiked all over the Western US, and now can say even Alaska. But my favorite has always been the Thorofare and the Absarokas here in NW Wyoming since my first visit into those wilds in 1982. There is now just only a few nooks and crannies that have not visited, like around Francs Peak . I have often been all around the Younts Peak area, which in my mind I call Vision Quest Peak. How much of the Absarokas is actually wild and nice like it has always been. And how much of it is actually quite Trailess. I personally Love It!!!

And personally as for the Grizzlies, just use common sense and watch yourself with living in respect and one should have no problems. I have had many encounters thru the years with the Grizzlies but am still here in one piece. Now days with our crazy society, how much do I trust them more then most people for they do not stab someone in the back.

Wishing You the Best!

2017 vacation requests have officially been submitted at work now and my calendar nearly full with a balance of firsts and some old favorites.

Day hikes (near and far):
Lake Blanche (February)
Slate-Slide Canyon (February)
Provo Peak* (June)
Cascade Mountain* (June)
Santaquin Peak* (June)
Spanish Fork Peak* (June)
Mount Nebo* (August or September)

Overnighters:
Willow Gulch (May)
Lake Blanche/Sun Dial Peak (June)
Grove Creek - Battle Creek Loop (June)
Red Pine Lake/Pfeifferhorn (June)
Clyde Lake Loop (June/July)
Lone Peak Cirque/Lone Peak* (July)
Mount Timpanogos* (July)
Amethyst Lake/Basin (August)
Great Basin NP (September)
Antelope Island SP (November)

Multi-Day:
Allsop Lake - Priord Lake Loop (July, w/ @Parma, @Blake Merrell , @Jackson)
Yellowstone NP (August)
Kings Peak - Red Castle Loop (August, w/ @Devin Ashby)
Coyote Gulch (September)

Other:
Camping + various short hikes in Valley of Fire SP and Joshua Tree NP + a stop at Grand Canyon NP w/ family (April)
Camping + various short hikes in and around Zion NP & Snow Canyon SP w/ family (May)
Camping + visits to Mill Canyon Dinosaur Site, Canyonlands NP [Needles], Newspaper Rock, Natural Bridges NM w/ family (June)
Various hikes in and around Capitol Reef NP when visiting in-laws in Torrey (various months)
Various overnight scout campouts at other locations to be determined (various months)
Various other local hikes as time and conditions permit (various months)

I'm also hoping to squeeze in a trip or two down to Cedar Mesa - Bear Ears with an aim to check out Moonhouse Ruin among some other sites.

*I have a goal to do all "Seven Peaks" of Utah Valley

Above I posted my trip plans for 2017. I am still planning on getting out. But do know now it will be changing bigtime. Have been watching the weather and we just got clobbered bigtime, with espicelly where I planned on going for the summer of 2017. Just posting because of everything, am being prudent and just watching, with realizing now with the current and projected snowfall ... better have some other plans.

Maybe change and just hang out all summer up in Montana's Bob Marshall Country since it seems Montana in places has less snowpack. See What Happens.

Wishing Everyone the Best!

January
- 3 day camping trip into Joshua Tree NP (Completed)

April
- 5 day camping trip in Anza Borrego Desert SP exploring the southern portion of the park
- Two Weeks in Cedar Mesa
  • 4-day backpacking trip into Grand Gulch (Pollys Canyon to Deer Canyon) as long as we can obtain a walk-in permit
  • Various day hikes to include: John's Canyon, Slickhorn Canyon, Road Canyon, Arch and Mule Canyon, McCloud Canyon, Hat Flat and Butler Wash
- Day trip to Natural Bridges NM
- A possible 3-day backpacking trip into Dark Canyon area (depends on a lot of factors)
- 3-4 days in the Needles District of Canyonlands with exploration of BLM land outside of the park within the new Bear's Ears NM

May
- 2-3 days around Moab
- two weeks in GSENM
  • Day hikes to Phipps and Maverick Arches, "Cosmic Navel", Zebra and Tunnel Slots, Neon Canyon, and others as time permits
  • Possible 3-day backpacking trip from Harris Wash to the Escalante and out Fence canyon.
- depending on snow levels and road access will spend a week base camped along the Sonora Pass and do various day hikes

June
- snow permitting, a 3-day backpacking trip into the Emigrant wilderness or Jennie Lakes Wilderness
- a week exploring Grand Teton NP
- spend the rest of the month in Yellowstone NP camping and day hiking

July
- 5 day backpacking loop into Idaho's Sawtooth Wilderness.
- staying in a cabin outside of Gardiner, MT and exploring the Northern section of Yellowstone NP for a week

August
- Start school :disagree:

I'm also hoping to squeeze in a trip or two down to Cedar Mesa - Bear Ears with an aim to check out Moonhouse Ruin among some other sites.

Have you been to Moonhouse? A flashlight is great for exploring one deep room.

You folks have some awesome plans. Some places I've been, many I haven't. Here's to a great Spring, Summer, and Fall.

I'd like to get to Cedar Mesa and more next month but it's looking increasingly unlikely. Been way to long. Also thinking about a long summer weekend to Sangre de Cristo with Colorado friends.

I'm easily pleased with old favorites. In addition to some of the couple dozen or so dayhikes I've come to love I do want to do a 2 or 3 nighter over the Ramshorn Plateau. I haven't backpacked much in recent years, I've got to get back into it. I will not do this trip alone, too many grizzlies over the years. Only two faint partner possibilities at this time but really want this to happen.

We all have our treasured places, this is one of mine. Starts on trail and then off trail for quite some time second day before descending into the Dunoir Valley where I have family that give me access. Because the Dunoir is a closed, private valley the National Forest Lands at the upper elevations around the valley see incredibly few people. If this appeals to anyone out there three quick things: 1) I am not a fast, athletic hiker. I am quite content meeting faster people later in the day but my pace is moderate. 2) Weather permitting a long weekend mid July to as late as October but preferably before Labor day. 3) If Apex Predators make you apprehensive this trip is not for you.

Absaroka Crescent Top.jpg

Absaroka Head of Six Mile.jpg

Absaroka June Near 5 Pockets Trailhead.jpg

Absaroka Ramshorn to Dinwoody.jpg

Absaroka Virgin Lake.jpg

Point 11,894' across Pinnacles to Tetons.jpg

To Do / Trip Planning 2017
Two Geezers tackle some or all of the CDT in Glacier NP. Any tips for running the permit gauntlet would be greatly appreciated.
Absarokanaut2, if I'm traveling to/from Glacier at the right time I would be pleased to join you. I also enjoy a leisurely pace. Send me a PM when you know more about your schedule.
Cheers!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now am beginning to think, maybe a good trip to Zion National Park and the area in April just might have to be done again this year. First hang out in the valley and the Coalpits Wash for a bit. Then do a cross the park hike to the Kolob and then out to Cedar City. Now with all this snow and such here up north this winter. Maybe a trip down in Aporil when it is all greening down there real nicely and see the sun for a bit. Also maybe go out to Beaverdam Wash in the extreme extreme SW corner of Utah for some good birdwatching among the Joshua Trees there also. See what happens. But have been there in the past many a time in April when it is all greening up. Spring and summer is always a longtime in coming to Jackson Hole.

Lots of general ideas, only a couple specifics

Day hike out of Gianelli Cabin in the Emigrant to the top of Burst Rock.

Spend a week hiking in Patagonia--that one is booked for this spring.

And then about three weeks of backpacking trips in Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite, Carson_Iceberg....the SIerra

Gianelli Cabin. That takes me way, way back. My first backpacking trip in '74. We went to Wire Lakes and came out covered in mosquito bites. Nothing like driving back to Oakland, through Manteca, in a hot car, filthy, with your back covered in bites. That's itching you won't forget!

since my last year was such a mediocre year with not many outings, I want to venture out a bit more this year.

My big goals are:

June: spent the entire month again on the Big Island and shoot a lot more lava
July/August: spent several weeks in Washington and Oregon, climb Mt. Adams and Mt. St. Helens, backpack in Olympic NP and if I can get a permit, do a backpacking trip to the Enchantments.

Spring Break: Probably Death Valley again
Summer: do at least one backpacking trip in the Uintas

other goals:

• climb Pine Valley Mtn
  • climb Mt. Timpamogos
  • climb Wheeler Peak in Great Basin NP
  • climb Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa, not sure which one yet
  • coastal backpacking in Hawai'i Volcanoes NP, probably to Halape
  • go paddling a lot
  • do a lot of hikes within a 2 hour range of St. George
  • go snow camping again
  • do a lot of Zion explorations
it seems that I have to change my summer plans significantly. There will be only an abridged Northwest tour doable for me, because I got an awesome summer job as a lava tour guide in Pahoa, HI.
So I will spend my summer hiking out every day to the lava flow. :)

Living in the midwest means my opportunities for genuine backcountry adventures are limited at best. On the plus side I have plenty of time to plan and look forward to those adventures.

April: Climbing for a few days at Red River Gorge in Kentucky
May: Backpacking trip into the Maze
August: Backpacking in the Cloud Peak Wilderness

There is also the possibility of a road trip to Southern Utah in July/August, mostly day hikes and car camping due to the heat.

Checking back on my list. Lots more green (did it) than red (didn't do it). The busy mountain biking job in the spring and then 3 months off to work on the house did not help. Better to plan and fail than not to plan at all though.

I am super excited about what I have on the radar this year. Here's what I'm planning so far.
  • Mexico next week! First time we've done a non-camping vacation in years! :cool:
  • Ski-in camping at the Colton Guard Station in the Uintas in February
  • More mountain biking around St. George
  • More mountain biking around Moab
  • Mountain biking the Goblin Valley trail system
  • Lots of mountain biking around the Wasatch once the snow melts off (got injured and hired some of it out)
  • Desert backpacking penciled in for early March but not sure where yet. Or I might end up on one last Glen Canyon trip if the boat isn't sold by then. (I got two more!)
  • Picking up the NEW (to me) boat in Illinois in March. Can I count it as a bag night if I sleep in the truck on the side of the freeway?
  • Float the Snake River through Alpine Canyon
  • Float the Moab Daily
  • Float the San Juan
  • Float Desolation
  • Float the Green ABC again
  • Get Audra out on a mellow river trip like Labyrinth or Ruby Horsethief to warm her up to the idea
  • Backpack Steven's Canyon. Ideally a point-to-point over the reef.
  • Maybe a Yellowstone Lake trip
  • Boat camping on the Great Salt Lake

And now a whole seperate list for my Glen Canyon plans. I recently purchased a unique motorized cataraft that is going to replace my tritoon and change the game completely out there as far as where I can hike and camp. Visiting these Glen Canyon places this year would make me very happy:
  • Hike the naturally dammed fork of Iceberg Canyon
  • Return to Great Bend and hike Bend Canyon and hopefully some of the others
  • Spend some time up around Good Hope Bay and hike Fourmile Canyon and Ticaboo (didn't do those hikes, but did get up there)
  • Walk the slickrock route to the Reflection Canyon overlook near the mouth of the San Juan
  • A trip to the Escalante with walks in Explorer Canyon and Bishop Creek (couldn't hike those canyons but did 2 trips to the Escalante)
  • Walk the main (west) fork of Bowns Canyon and it's seven caves
  • Some exploring around the backside mysteriousness of the Annie's canyon system

Not expected, but I'd be ecstatic if any of these things came true this year. With the new boat, the chances go way up for the first two:
  • Westwater Canyon
  • Cataract Canyon
  • Yampa River
  • Gates of Lodore
  • Smith River
  • Middle or Main Salmon

It was a really busy year, but a good one, all things considered. Boy I can't wait for 2018!!

Even though I didn't see a bear, I did hear a bear, so I'll give myself half a point for that.

Major (week-long) trips
Hayduke Trail Sections 7&8 (Or some combination thereof)
Wind River/Absarokas Route (very tentative, TBD)

Minor (weekend) trips
Ruby Crest Trail
Hayduke Trail Section 1 (Arches-Moab)
Spring Creek Canyon

Cuberant/Ruth Lakes

Other Random Goals
Ski Suicide Chute in LCC
Sun Valley ski trip (frontcountry, sorry)
Finally see a bear
See a solar eclipse in the backcountry
Ski tour in the Uintas (the way this winter is going, it might be the only way to see the Uintas prior to August)

The back burner (stuff I'm contemplating but am not ready to commit to)
Collegiate Loop (CT-CDT)
Middle Grand Gulch (Bullet Canyon-Collins Spring Canyon)
Slickhorn/Lookout Canyon loop

Here's my successes...things kind of died out after August on me due to a number of circumstances, chief among them being a lack of a vehicle, tight on money for a bit, and the arrival of our last child.

Day hikes (near and far):
Lake Blanche (February)
Slate-Slide Canyon (February)
Provo Peak* (June) -
I ended up overnighting this one in June
Cascade Mountain* (June)
Santaquin Peak* (June)
Spanish Fork Peak* (June)
Mount Nebo* (August or September)

I was hoping to finish off the last of the 7 most prominent peaks of Utah County this year. Nebo and Cascade remain at large though.

Overnighters:
Willow Gulch (May)
Lake Blanche/Sun Dial Peak (June)
Grove Creek - Battle Creek Loop (June)
Red Pine Lake/Pfeifferhorn (June)
Clyde Lake Loop (June/July)

Lone Peak Cirque/Lone Peak* (July)
Mount Timpanogos* (July)
Amethyst Lake/Basin (August)
Great Basin NP (September)

Antelope Island SP (November)

Multi-Day:
Allsop Lake - Priord Lake Loop (July, w/ @Parma, @Blake Merrell , @Jackson)
Yellowstone NP (August)
Kings Peak - Red Castle Loop (August, w/ @Devin Ashby)
Coyote Gulch (September)

Other:
Camping + various short hikes in Valley of Fire SP and Joshua Tree NP + a stop at Grand Canyon NP w/ family (April)
Camping + various short hikes in and around Zion NP & Snow Canyon SP w/ family (May)
Camping + visits to Mill Canyon Dinosaur Site, Canyonlands NP [Needles], Newspaper Rock, Natural Bridges NM w/ family (June)

Various hikes in and around Capitol Reef NP when visiting in-laws in Torrey (various months)
Various overnight scout campouts at other locations to be determined (various months)

Some other trips that happened that weren't originally planned was a couple nights of backpacking in and around Capitol Reef, a night up in the Tushars, and a night up 5th Water Hot Springs. Then there were the overnight backpacking trips with each of my daughters.