To Do in 2015

Udink

Still right here.
I'll go first. :roflmao:

For 2015 I'm planning a float of Stillwater Canyon in late September--already got my deposit sent in to Tex's Riverways for the shuttle to Mineral Bottom and the jetboat ride up the Colorado to Moab from Spanish Bottom. I'd also like to float Labyrinth a couple of times before my Stillwater trip.

I'm also considering floating the San Rafael in the spring on a super cheap inflatable kayak. Hoping for some snow in the Wasatch Plateau to make that possible!

I'll go first. :roflmao:
I'm also considering floating the San Rafael in the spring on a super cheap inflatable kayak. Hoping for some snow in the Wasatch Plateau to make that possible!

Hey Dennis, I've done that San Rafael float through the Little Grand Canyon before. I'll join you in my IK. and let's do the Price River to the Green too!

i'm hoping to ride my motorcycle to alaska come june. about all i'm thinking about.
What kind of bike are you going to ride? I've driven the route several times and highly recommend the Cassiar Highway instead of the Alcan due to vastly improved scenery and things to do. It has more gravel mileage but they both have some of that due to construction.

Hey Dennis, I've done that San Rafael float through the Little Grand Canyon before. I'll join you in my IK. and let's do the Price River to the Green too!

I've done the Price to Green River float - pretty fun! I'd like to do the Little Grand Canyon someday as well. If you guys plan a trip and are up for inviting people, let me know (for either of those floats)!

I have a few trips I really want to make happen. Would love to get into the Winds again. Really want to do Dead Horse Lake to the Highline Trailhead in the Uintas. Also am trying to figure out the logistics of doing a traverse of the Lost River Range in Idaho.

Also am trying to figure out the logistics of doing a traverse of the Lost River Range in Idaho.
I assisted @Bob in scouting out the southern start to the same traverse. Wonderful range. Pretty hard traverse. Bob posted a TR here somewhere about it. PM he or I for more details than the trip report.

my tentative 2015 plans
- Finally go on a backpacking trip (or two) in the Escalante area in the spring
- Float the San Rafael Swell
- 5 day float trip on the Lower Salmon from Whitebird to Heller Bar
- Multi day trip to the West and Middle Basins in the Uintas
- Multi day trip in the Sawtooths, thinking Tenlake Basin
- Family overnighter to Wall Lake in the Uintas

Last edited:
So far I hope to:

1. Get some snow shots! Hardly saw any in 2014. I have some vacation in February and I will be going wherever in CA or UT there happens to be some.
2. Explore Canyonlands. It's my new obsession. So far I have two photo trips planned there for 2015.
3. Finish the West Rim backpack we started in May 2014.
4. Combine a photography trip with a mountain biking trip to Moab. My first photo trip with Stan-the idea is I will go off and shoot while he and friends go ride, and we meet up afterward. Cross your fingers that this works because I am totally single-minded on my photography trips. Hope our relationship survives…..
5. Another Girl's Trip to Zion with my nieces. This time we are going to do 3 canyons!
6. Assuming Stan and I survive the photography/mountain bike trip, we will be celebrating 10 years together in Maui and Kauai.
7. Go storm chasing in August.
8. Totally immerse myself in the Utah fall and shoot until my eyeballs fall out.

Later-I probably should try to go somewhere besides Utah and Hawaii sometime, but why? :cool:

Last edited:
I assisted @Bob in scouting out the southern start to the same traverse. Wonderful range. Pretty hard traverse. Bob posted a TR here somewhere about it. PM he or I for more details than the trip report.

I saw that trip report. I've scoured the range on google earth and am super impressed with it. It looks to have a pretty amazing scenery/crowds ratio. The biggest problem seems to be the access roads, apparently on the East side of the range they are some of the most difficult roads in the entire state. At the very least I am going to do the same lake that you guys did this past summer, just to get a taste of the area.

I don't really know what to expect out of my shiny new knee this year, so I'm not totally sure what to plan for. My physical therapist says that the full recovery takes a year, but over the last week I've seen so much improvement that I could almost see myself backpacking in a month or two. Definitely going to be ready for at least some light stuff in the spring.

But with the uncertainty I'm tentatively planning small for now, mostly boat trips with hikes up various side canyons in Glen Canyon. I'll probably spend close to a week out there at least once a month May through October. One of the best parts about that plan is that my wife has become comfortable enough with the boat that she is going to let me take off for long day hikes and even some overnighters while she stays with the boat. That's been the tricky thing about having it and wanting to explore; you can't just park it like a car and take off for a few days.

Here's my list so far:
  • Maybe a New Years or mid-winter boat trip with a big beach bonfire if I can recruit some company.
  • An early spring backpacking trip to an undisclosed location
  • Thousand Pockets
  • West Fork Bowns and it's 7 caves (maybe as an overnighter)
  • Bishop Canyon
  • Explorer Canyon
  • Forbidding Canyon/Anasazi Creek (maybe as a point-to-point to Rainbow Bridge or Oak Canyon)
  • Long Canyon
  • Smith Fork
  • Forgotten Canyon
  • Moqui Canyon
  • Wilson Canyon

If the knee cooperates, I'd also like to get in a fair amount of good old fashioned land-based backpacking, but that will have to get planned on the fly. Fingers crossed...

Andy ......... water is the problem in the Lost River's ......

My plans so far include:
  • Return trip to Grasslands Nat. Park in SK including a night or two in the valley of 1000 Devils - Nope, deferred to 2016
  • Lac La Ronge Prov Park in Northern SK - Nope
  • Notikewin Prov Park in Northern AB - Nope
  • Mt Robson Prov Park in BC - Yup got there in August!
  • Added: Fernie BC in September!
  • Added: Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park in May!

Last edited:
- June 24th-30th in Zion/Bryce with my wife.
- Long weekend backpack in Shenandoah NP including Old Rag Mtn and Rogers Mtn.
- Finally climb Mount Mansfield in Vermont and Mount Greylock in Massachussets
- 3 day Pemi Loop (Pemigewasset Loop) in the Whites, NH
- 3 day Great Range Traverse in the ADK's, NY
- My annual 2-3 day kayak camping trip down the Delaware River.
- 7 night backpack in the Grand Tetons with some BCP peeps.

- As many impromptu day hikes and overnighters in my local spots as time permits, Catskills, Shawangunks, Kittatinny Mts., etc. and maybe a kayak camping trip in the ADK's.

Last edited:
most of my trips I will decide at one point next year, and I hope that I can at least do a few short and easier backpacking trips.
Most of my trips will be fotography trips with car camping, but that is fine as long as I can get out.

Two trips are fixed:

1. Galapagos in mid May thanks to Dixie State University :)
2. Hawai'i (Big Island and Kauai) in June/July

I also hope for a few easy overnight trips in the Uintas, going back to paddle Lake Powell.
A trip to Capitol Reef and the Moab area.
Hopefully another paddle trip somewhere

But for most part I have to figure out some easier stuff. I'm not used to that, usually it's the opposite

i also have to go back down to the grand canyon some time cuz i have a $95 credit at the back country office there.