Time to start floating!

Nick

-
I've been tossing around buying a canoe or similar for years, but after seeing Udink's new canoe and looking at gnwatts' trip reports, I've decided the time has come. By next spring, I aim to be ready to float some rivers.

A couple of questions…

1. I assume I should go for a larger canoe because of my larger size/weight? Like 17-18' perhaps?

2. Is there a specific style I should go for for floating mellow rivers? I'd like maximum stability so I can potentially have a pup in there with me.

3. Aluminum vs. other materials?

4. What's typically the best time of year to float the Green & Colorado? Spring with high water or fall with low water?

I got the Old Town Discovery 158 because it seemed like a good compromise for my planned usage. It's not ideal for either perfectly flat water or moderate whitewater, but it should do well enough for easy family trips on a lake or solo/tandem trips loaded with gear on the river.

I don't think you necessarily need a longer canoe--that will probably only give you a heavier canoe that tracks a little straighter. Even the 158 can hold a maximum of 1,150 pounds of people and gear, but two guys your size and enough gear for a three or four day float would take up a little more than half that (depending on how much beer you bring :D).

From what little I've read, floating during spring runoff will be faster and there'll be fewer rapids, but you'll have fewer campsites available due to the higher water. I'm thinking August-October will be perfect for me, but I don't think I can wait that long before my first trip on the Green. :)

dude, just get a raft, then you can run real rivers, as well as the mellow stuff, plus fish from it easily standing up...

2013? let's do a ruby-horsethief float over thanksgiving. we'll bring the big boat with coolers and turkeys. :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Pahranagat, Desert NWR, and Arrow Canyon Range to start Nov. 2021 Desert time Hiking & Camping 6
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
J N. Mojave Desert Rambles and Scrambles (start of 40 desert days) Nov. 14-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
Chris N Good time to start Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
BryanG Start of the bloom in Anza-Borrego SP Hiking & Camping 2
McKee80 Getting a late start ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Red Rock Rangers Let the wild rumpus start! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Tye Dye Twins An Epic Week and an Epic Start to 2015! Winter Sports 10
Nick So you want to start kayaking, eh? General Discussion 15
maniakmedic Newbie looking to start backpacking in April Trip Planning 11
Backcountry Post Quick Start Guide To Using Backcountry Post Questions, Suggestions & Support 2
Archbishop I want to start taking my dog out backpacking. Trip Planning 8
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Outdoors24 Floating Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 7
K Floating down South Fork of the Snake (ID) Trip Planning 1
Jammer Floating the Yampa through Dinosaur On The Water 5
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
DrNed Floating The North Platte June 2017 On The Water 5
Nick Floating Glen Canyon On The Water 3
DrNed Floating Smith River in Montana Trip Planning 55
DrNed Floating Through Dinosaur National Monument Trip Planning 9
Nick Floating lower Cataract into Glen Canyon Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Floating the Provo river (Provo Canyon) this Tuesday Meet Up (Members Only) 12
Nick Floating Hite to Lake Powell Trip Planning 2
steve Invite Urban Adventure - floating the Jordan River this Sat, 3.21.15 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
steve Floating the Provo River On The Water 0
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
steve Floating the San Rafael General Discussion 9
gnwatts Floating through Labyrinth Canyon On The Water 22
mattvogt7 Floating into the Maze Backpacking 10
AustinCronnelly Floating the Smith River, Montana On The Water 13
Mike K Floating the Dirty Devil Trip Planning 12
Nick Floating the South Fork Snake River On The Water 19