Thrift Store Finds

pstm13

Auribus Teneo Lupum
I am on a tight budget but have a love for good quality gear. I tend to frequent the local thrift shops and look for equipment when my budget does not allow me to support one of our fine sponsors. I thought I would start a thread that focuses on thrift store finds.

Some of my most recent deals include a Mountain Hardwear Conduit jacket, Keen Targhee II boots, and Merrell Moab shoes.

IMG_1047[1].JPG

Anyone else pop some tags?

Nice finds. I don't usually find name-brand stuff, but I've picked up some decent outdoor wear shirts scouring the thrift store racks in the past.

I've found name brand stuff, but none that will fit me. I'm currently on the lookout for a good windbreaker that breathes for riding my bicycle.

I just found some Keen Finlays and a Columbia Omni Tech weatherproof shell. It is great for my son's gear. Now that he is in scouts and camping year round I'm always looking for stuff for him.

I've found name brand stuff, but none that will fit me. I'm currently on the lookout for a good windbreaker that breathes for riding my bicycle.

Not a thrift store find but check out Lou's stuff on Foxwear. http://foxwear.net/clothing/vests/ He makes stuff to fit your needs. Extremely reasonable prices. Back in the days, before cycling specific companies realized cyclist ride in the cold Lou was making stuff for all sports. He comes from a Xcountry ski background. He is more than happy to help you design you jacket to fit your needs. I got one that blocks 95%(Power Shield) of wind in my front but breathes in my back(Power Stretch), under my arms and sides. I just used his jacket, and a mid-weight merino wool sweater(thrift store find, Sun Valley Idaho) and thin liner in 5F. I was toasty, ok not toasty but good enough for 15 mile RT commute. I am sold on soft-shell clothing for everything except really hard rains. Give him a look and cal/email.

Thrift store finds: In my area men's clothes are well worn. My best finds have been in pricey ski resorts thrift stores. Sun Valley, Telluride and Breckenridge have yielded a trove of treasures.

Not a thrift store find but check out Lou's stuff on Foxwear. http://foxwear.net/clothing/vests/ He makes stuff to fit your needs. Extremely reasonable prices. Back in the days, before cycling specific companies realized cyclist ride in the cold Lou was making stuff for all sports. He comes from a Xcountry ski background. He is more than happy to help you design you jacket to fit your needs. I got one that blocks 95%(Power Shield) of wind in my front but breathes in my back(Power Stretch), under my arms and sides. I just used his jacket, and a mid-weight merino wool sweater(thrift store find, Sun Valley Idaho) and thin liner in 5F. I was toasty, ok not toasty but good enough for 15 mile RT commute. I am sold on soft-shell clothing for everything except really hard rains. Give him a look and cal/email.

Thrift store finds: In my area men's clothes are well worn. My best finds have been in pricey ski resorts thrift stores. Sun Valley, Telluride and Breckenridge have yielded a trove of treasures.

Sun Valley is good but relatively expensive.

Aspen has the best thrift store I have ever been to. Nice old ladies up front at the cash register, no price tags, all I hear is usually "how about 5 bucks?" I picked up 2 Arcteryx top base layers and a Arcteryx fleece pull over, for, you guessed it, 15 bucks. I have never paid more than $7.50/item for clothing. Lot's of wealthy Aspenites who wear something a few times and drop it off at the thrift store.

I scored some Merrell Polar Blast boots that have been great the last couple of trips. I love not wearing big snow boots.

I scored some sweat OR Gore-tex shell mitts in Sun Valley today. My old gloves kinda sucked while winter camping the last two weekends. I'm all smiles.

How about a pre-thrift store find? (AKA, anyone want some awesome free boots?) We did some house cleaning recently and realized we have this pair of women's Vasque hiking shoes that are practically brand new that don't fit Audra quite right. I think they are the Breeze but I'm not sure. I do know that they are women's size 8.5M and they are GoreTex XCR with Vibram soles. They're really nice boots. I think they were like $135-$145 when we got them. They've only been worn two or three times at most, although there is a bit of dried up mud on the bottom at the moment. We were going to donate them with the rest of our junk but I thought that some BCP'er might particularly want them. Free to anyone who wants to pick them up from me in Cottonwood Heights, UT.

EDIT - you have to post a trip report for them! :D

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

That's my wife's size. If you don't find somebody to pick them up and would consider shipping, I'd pay costs. Or maybe 2 trip reports?:D

Or maybe pickup next summer, we'll probably come through there.

image.jpg I have a Patagonia jacket (reverseable) SZ S unisex that I will offer up for cost of shipping ($5).

I picked it up for my wife at a thrift store but she doesn't like it. It is in perfect shape. I paid $5 and need good Karma so I thought I would offer it up after being inspired by Nick's boot post.

It is offered under the condition that it not be resold. If it changes hands it must be given away to a friend or donated and not sold (i.e. eBay).

My daughter is looking for a light jacket, this looks like it would work perfectly. Let me know if it is still available!

My daughter is looking for a light jacket, this looks like it would work perfectly. Let me know if it is still available!
PayPal $5 with your address to pstm13@xxxxx.xxxand it is yours. Please no reselling.

Last edited:
I have a blue women's small Novara with removable sleeves I would give up for $10. IM me if interested. I'll send a pick in reply.