Thorofare trip

marmot_boi

Rodent
Hello,
First time posting here. Thought you guys would know the most about this.
I was thinking about going on a trip through the Thorofare area with a friend next summer, starting along the South Fork Shoshone and ending in the park somewhere. Anything worth going out of the way to see? Is it possible to park a car within the national park even on nights where I'm not permitted to camp in the park? Does anyone know how far upstream the spawning cutthroat trout get from the lake? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,
I was thinking about going on a trip through the Thorofare area with a friend next summer, starting along the South Fork Shoshone and ending in the park somewhere. Anything worth going out of the way to see? Is it possible to park a car within the national park even on nights where I'm not permitted to camp in the park? Does anyone know how far upstream the spawning cutthroat trout get from the lake? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Yes you can park in the park if that is where you’ll be finishing. Thorofare is a great trip. Hawk’s Rest south of the park was a cool spot too.

This is Great and you will absolutely love it! It is all up to you. The Thorofare is in the heart of a over 2 million absolutely wild roadless area.There is sooooo many possibilities. There is both the Park Service and the Forest Service lands. There is much much much to see and experience in all of this wild area. It is one of the most wildest areas left in the lower 48 states with plenty of Grizzlies and Wolves. Yea the trout migrate far far upstream from the lake up the Yellowstone. But by late summer most have already migrated back down the Yellowstone. I personally live without a car so no help there. Am here if you need further help.

Hello,

Between Norwegian Xplorer's spectacular videos on YouTube, purchasing a few books on the area, looking the area over on Google Earth and Kmatjhwy's lengthy and detailed advice I have an idea about the places I'd like to see if I were to go into the Thorofare...but something might have to be left out because there are quite a few and they are spread out over an enormous area.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
TeamJenkins17 Thorofare/Teton Wilderness Trip Trip Planning 12
TeamJenkins17 Yellowstone Thorofare to Brooks lake trip next year. Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Aerial footage of the Thorofare General Discussion 22
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 15
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
J Anyone in the Thorofare in the past couple of weeks? Trip Planning 0
F Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare Trip Planning 13
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
ridings82 Album Thorofare Photography 4
Christo Water availability:Thorofare Yellowstone Trip Planning 6
B Thorofare loop (almost) Cabin Creek, Hawk's Rest, Ishawooa Creek 8/11-19 Backpacking 60
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
B Thorofare loop from Deer Creek Trip Planning 20
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
S Deer Creek into the Thorofare Trip Planning 6
E Thorofare mid september 2018 Trip Planning 16
K The Thorofare and the Absaroka Wilderness Backpacking 9
J Thorofare 2018 Trip Planning 14
Jason Bradshaw Thorofare Trail Backpacking 7
J Invite Packrafting the Thorofare area Meet Up (Members Only) 5
V Yellowstone - Thorofare - Solo? Trip Planning 15
Keith Yellowstone Thorofare (8/11/14 to 8/17/14) Backpacking 7
Joey Invite Yellowstone's Thorofare and Gallatin/Sky Rim area Meet Up (Members Only) 4
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5