The Yant

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
I had three days off and it was my birthday on one of them. AKA I had more than enough excuses to leave the big, thick aired city for sunny St George. I wanted to get out and do something while I was down there: Toroweap? Zion? Coyote Buttes? My dad and I settled on what he's called "The Yant." I understand there is a community around that does not too much said about it but I'm sure folks on here know about it (especially since it was through here I first learned about it and told my dad to go exploring.) I'd never been there so it sounded like a good way to spend a day.

Areas like The Yant and Coyote Buttes are so fun and different. While yes they have destinations, they aren't destination hikes. They are far more of an experience of discovery. Around every corner is a new thing to say "oh that's neat!" and then you'll walk by, turn around, and it will look totally different. It's a blast and a half.

Pictures? I'll post a few.

IMG_7929.JPG IMG_7930 (2).JPG IMG_7934.JPG IMG_7939.JPG IMG_7940.JPG IMG_7943.JPG IMG_7944.JPG IMG_7945.JPG IMG_7948.JPG IMG_7949.JPG IMG_7958.JPG IMG_7961.JPG IMG_7966.JPG IMG_7968.JPG IMG_7971.JPG IMG_7972.JPG IMG_7974.JPG IMG_7975.JPG IMG_7988.JPG IMG_7997.JPG IMG_7999.JPG IMG_8007.JPG IMG_8011.JPG IMG_8013.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice and I must admit that I have never heard of the Yant.

Nice pics. I like your focus on the smaller details out there.

It looks like you covered quite a bit of ground in your exploring. Well done. :)

- Jamal

I must admit that I have never heard of the Yant.

I lived in St George for 6 years and still visit often but I learned about this area only in the past couple months. It is kept fairly quiet

Unless you are German.

SSAnderson......that is pretty funny and spot on. There are certain areas of S Utah that seem more likely to have European tourist than Americans. I finally asked some that I ran into once in Cap Reef what the deal was and they told me there are a few German language guide websites and a German guide book that many of them use and so they often end up in one of those places highlighted. The Yant must be in that category. I have always been surprised that I don't run into more Japanese tourists in some of these areas. I lived in Japan for nearly 4 years and know plenty of them want to go to areas like this. I guess that the Japanese version of these isn't out there yet.

In the past few months I have had so many tell me they went and hiked a new place called yant flat.
I laughed cause, well, it isn't new; but definitely becoming popular.

Love your pictures, especially the detail shots.

I was out there last November and it blew me away. I find it interesting that the area is known by "Yant Flat" since that's probably the least-interesting feature of this whole area.

It may not be long before this area is under permit, and I personally wouldn't mind that so long as the funds help maintain the pristine beauty of this land. But I'm sure a lot of locals would be less-than-happy since it's been such an amazing "secret."

PS. Any chance this balanced rock cairn was still there below the ridge in your 11th photo? I know who made it (not me).
IMG_2408-sm.jpg

PS. Any chance this balanced rock cairn was still there below the ridge in your 11th photo? I know who made it (not me).

I can't say I noticed it. The only cairns I noticed all day were a bunch of unneeded little ones around the red spot area. But I don't notice them too often unless I'm following them or they are blatantly in an area that doesn't need them (like the rock stacks at the end of the Narrows in Zion.) That one there is fairly neat though. A little love went into it.