The Wyoming Range (Scatman version) - June 26, 2023

scatman

The Wyoming Range.

Why the Wyoming Range? Good question.

Last year, @Bob had sent me some routes that he created in CalTopo of potential future backpacking trips. One of the routes, was along the Wyoming Range Trail, which is a National Recreation Trail, that runs just off the ridge of a majority of the Wyoming Range.

Now as most on this forum know, I tend to lean towards Yellowstone when it comes to spending my time in the backcountry, with an occasional foray into wilderness areas that tend to be near or adjacent to the Park. You see, I need my grizzly bear fix, so when I use up my vacation time from work, I need there to be a reasonable possibility of seeing a bear, or signs of bear, as a major part of the criteria I use as to where I am going. So the first thing I did was to look up if there were grizzlies in the Wyoming Range. It turns out that there have been four confirmed sightings in the range as of 2020, and the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee includes the range in their current distribution, so that was good enough for me, and thus I began to lean towards a trip to the Wyoming Range.

Now, I knew absolutely nothing of the Wyoming Range before this trip. I had seen bits of it as I drove through and out of Star Valley before, but only between gaps in the Salt River Range. I also had seen them off in the distance to the west when I drove home from Yellowstone along highway 189 from Hoback Junction south to Kemmerer, but I haven't taken that route in 25 years.

So once we decided on the Wyoming Range, I sat down and digitized the Wyoming Range Trail off of the 7.5 minute USGS topographic maps, then created a KMZ for it and opened it up in Google Earth. I soon realized that the map and Google Earth didn't quite marry up, so I digitized the trail on Google Earth, and then imported that into my topographic map. At that point, I created waypoints on my old Magellan eXplorist 500. Recording a point every 0.20 mile for the length of the trail - from south to north.

Now I guess this would be a good time to give some details on the trail and maybe the range too. The south end actually starts in Snider Basin along South Piney Creek and works its way up to the high country, heading north, all the way to the Willow Creek Trailhead, which is located just south of Hoback Junction. The range itself extends from just northwest of Kemmerer in the south, to Hoback in the north. The range is located to the west of 189, and east of the Salt River Range which forms the eastern edge of Star Valley in Wyoming. The range is fairly remote, especially the further south you go. For instance, it was approximately 22 miles from Daniel Junction to a washed out bridge where we shuttled vehicles to, mostly on county and forest service gravel/dirt roads.

Even though the official trail starts in Snider Basin, we chose to start at Middle Piney Reservoir instead. Have to ask Bob on that. :) But, we found out that they had been working on the dam of the reservoir, and they would not let anyone park overnight there, so we would have to move one drainage to the north, the Straight Creek Trailhead, to start our trek.

Now in the final days leading up to our trip, @Dreamer decide to join us for the first five nights He had to report to work on Thursday, so he'd exit down North Horse Creek on Wednesday while Bob and I would continue on to the Willow Creek Trailhead. Unfortunately, our plans all came crashing down on day one and we had to change our agenda for the remainder of our trip.

Scatman trip facts:

- two cameras taken
1. Canon EOS 70D
2. Canon PowerShot SX710 HS

- I took a total of 2104 shots, pretty evenly distributed between the two cameras

- My pack (includes water and cameras) weighed in at a hefty 51 pounds for what was supposed to be a nine day trip

Now, this is going to be a long report, so pop some popcorn, pull up a chair, relax and enjoy, or not enjoy if you so choose.

Here we go!

WR_Trip_Overview.jpg
Final Trip Overview Map

Day 1 - Drive from Salt Lake to Willow Creek Trailhead, Shuttle vehicles, backpack into camp along the Straight Creek Trail

I woke up at 4:30 AM on the 26th of June and headed north at 5:30 AM to meet Bob at the Willow Creek Trailhead, located about six miles southeast of Hoback Junction (Turn by the fiberglass moose :) ). I arrived just before ten o'clock, and it began to rain while I waited.

Bob showed up about half an hour later, we moved my gear to his truck, and we were off to meet Dreamer at Daniel Junction, to shuttle his truck to a bridge on North Horse Creek that had been closed due to a wash out. After dropping his vehicle off, we all piled into Bob's truck and headed back to Daniel Junction for lunch at The Bear Den. From there, we drove to the Straight Creek Trailhead, located about 23 miles west/northwest of Big Piney, to start our adventure.

WR_Day_1.jpg
Day one overview map

01.jpg
The information sign at the Willow Creek Trailhead

02.jpg
Dropping off Dreamer's vehicle at the bridge on North Horse Creek

03.jpg
Lunch at The Bear Den. I had the bison burger, which was very good.

04.jpg
Conditions at the Straight Creek Trailhead when we arrived - pouring rain with some hail mixed in, and snow at the higher elevations

04b.jpg
Looks like we are heading the right direction

05.jpg
The storm let up after about an hour and we were off - departure time was about 3:30 pm, with Straight Creek below

04c.jpg
View along Straight Creek

06.jpg
Bob, crossing Lake Fork Creek

08.jpg
Beginning to hit some snow as we gain elevation

09.jpg
Eventually, we had to deal with to much snow. I was beginning to posthole, the temp
had dropped to 39 degrees, and my feet were wet and freezing. The trail was also
becoming difficult to follow, so we made a decision to turn around, hike down below
snowline and set up camp, and discuss our options going forward.

We arrived at our camp late in the day, so we set up our tents, ate and hit the sack.

Day 2 - Hike back to trailhead, drive north to North Horse Creek, backpack up North Horse Creek

Ate our breakfast, packed up our gear, and headed back to the Straight Creek Trailhead.

10.jpg
Mine and Dreamer's tents on the morning of day two

11.jpg
View south from our campsite, looking up towards peak 10626

12.jpg
Silky phacelia

13.jpg
Dreamer arrives back at the trailhead. Time for a drive.

14.jpg
First, we drove up to Middle Piney Lake

WR_Day_2.jpg
Overview map of day 2 - back to the trailhead, drive north along Forest Road 10046, eventually reaching Dreamer's truck on North Horse Creek, hiking in a few miles to set up camp.

15.jpg
The drive north on FS 10046

16.jpg
View from the road

17.jpg
View up the Lunch Creek Drainage

18.jpg
View from South Cottonwood Creek

19.jpg
FS Road heading towards Soda Lake

21.jpg
Looking back on Peak 10896 (Bare Mountain)

22.jpg
Now here is a view. Arrowleaf balsamroot as far as one can see, with the Wind Rivers as a backdrop - The High and Lonesome Ranch

23.jpg
Larkspur too

24.jpg
Back at North Horse Creek. Because the bridge was closed, we had to hike up about three miles of road to reach the official trail-
head

WR_Day_2b.jpg
Overview map of day two - to campsite on North Horse Creek. The little green dot is for you @Rockskipper, signifying our crossing of Mule Creek. :thumbsup:

25.jpg
North Horse Creek viewed from FS Road 10389

26.jpg
The lonesome road. :)

27.jpg
The only one using the road besides us

28.jpg
Heart leafed arnica by the roadside

29.jpg
Arriving at the official trailhead. At least we think we have as there was no signage.

30.jpg
Must be the right place

31.jpg
California corn lily

32.jpg
North Horse Creek below. We saw a moose just before reaching camp. It took off as soon as we saw it, so no picture. :(

34.jpg
Bob and Dreamer getting ready to eat on night number two

33.jpg
My meal for the night was Peak's Venison Country Casserole, which I quite liked.

Day 3 - Camp on North Horse Creek to campsite on Third Creek

Up around 7:00 AM and headed further up North Horse Creek. Today, we would finally reach the Wyoming Range Trail which had just alluded us on day one due to the snow. A perfect day for us weather wise and the hiking was enjoyable. Once in the high country, spring beauties just took over. They were everywhere.

WR_Day_3.jpg
Overview map of day three

35.jpg
More North Horse Creek

36.jpg
Our first deer sighting

37.jpg
Still working our way up North Horse Creek

38.jpg
View up into the high country

39.jpg
County Creek

40.jpg
That way to the Wyoming Rang Trail. We went straight instead.

41.jpg
Looking up a draw of a tributary of North Horse Creek

42.jpg
Below, the willows of North Horse Creek

43.jpg
Staring to see quite a few spring beauties at this point. Soon, they would take over

44.jpg
Our first sighting of the Wyoming Range Trail

45.jpg
Forest Service Cabin with a view. Looking back towards Mount McDougal

46.jpg
Another shot of the cabin

47.jpg
On the Wyoming Range Trail! :thumbsup:

48.jpg
Deadman Mountain, with the Wyoming Range Trail below

49.jpg
Break time!

50.jpg
View to the northeast from out break location

51.jpg
Whelp, time to get moving

52.jpg
Third Creek, here we come. :)

53.jpg
Deer track on the trail. The deer in the range had a very hard winter.

54.jpg
View to the north

55.jpg
View to the west towards the Salt River Range

56.jpg
A @Dreamer track?

57.jpg
A Bob sighting.

58.jpg
59.jpg
60.jpg
An old cabin

61.jpg
Can just barely make out the Tetons from the cabin

62.jpg
First Creek up ahead

63.jpg
View to the northeast as we near our campsite on Third Creek

65.jpg
This picture doesn't due it justice, but the spring beauties were really beautiful

63b.jpg
Dreamer, dropping down into the Third Creek Drainage

64.jpg
Dinner for night number three. I believe that this is my favorite freeze-dried meal

Day 4 - From campsite on Third Creek to campsite on shelf above Pickle Pass

This was the toughest day I thought. The climb up from Little Greys River, heading towards Pickle Pass kicked my ass. Also, we got off on some nice elk trails and had to find our way back to the human trail a few times. The campsite above Pickle Pass was worth all the effort though.

WR_Day_4.jpg
Overview map of day four

66.jpg
Morning view to the west from our campsite on Third Creek

67.jpg
Oatmeal and cocoa ought to get me moving this morning. :) A circus peanut might help @TractorDoc.

68.jpg
And we are off. I believe that that is the ridge ahead of us that we have to climb to get to Pickle Pass.

69.jpg
Views from the trail

70.jpg
I liked how these flowers made a ring - common twinpod maybe?

71.jpg
Approaching the drop down into the Little Greys River Drainage

72.jpg
View from the trail to the west

73.jpg
Getting a good picture

74.jpg
Looking back on Deadman Mountain and the fire lookout

75.jpg
Another view of Deadman Mountain on the left

76.jpg
Cinquefoil

77.jpg
Wyoming townsend daisy

78.jpg
Scat, taking a break with some scat. :D

79.jpg
One of my favorite pictures of our trip. At peace with the world.

80.jpg
Bird of prey

81.jpg
The drop off to the Little Grey's River ahead.

81b.jpg
Huh oh! Scatman down! I tried hard no to fall on this trip, but the loose rock on a steep trail got me. :) Photo courtesy of the
Dreamer

82.jpg
Off on one of the infamous elk trails. Also, putting our rain gear on. we should have taken a right at Albuquerque. :D

83.jpg
Waiting out the rain under some pine trees with M&M's in hand - almond and peanut

84.jpg
Heading back to get on the right trail

85.jpg
Left to Pickle Pass

86.jpg
3.5 big ones!

87.jpg
Look what is ahead, not only the Little Grey's River, but one of Bob's infamous horse trails! Straight up the hill!
You know if you backpack with Bob that you are gong to get one of these. You don't necessarily know when, but you do know
that it is only a matter of time. This was like a 1400 foot climb that didn't believe in switchbacks. :eek: My left knee is still hurting
from this one. :)

88.jpg
Dreamer, crossing the Little Greys River

89.jpg
Of course gaining elevation means nice views

90.jpg
More views, looking back towards Peak 10484

91.jpg
@Bob, tearing up the horse trail

92.jpg
Common stickseed

93.jpg
Twisted leaf balsamroot

94.jpg
Bob, taking it all in

95.jpg
A big anthill next to the trail. I took a GPS point of it to see if I could see it on Google Earth. I haven't checked yet. :)

96.jpg
Filled my bottle with snow

97.jpg
Hoback Peak

98.jpg
Nearing the highpoint of our climb

99.jpg
How good is that?

100.jpg
A break near the top

101.jpg
The Wyoming Range Trail

102.jpg
Looking down on Pickle Pass

103.jpg
My tent at campsite number four

104.jpg
A fossil in a rock near camp

105.jpg
View to the west from our campsite of the east end of Grayback Ridge

106.jpg
Night four's meal - very good too.

107.jpg
Brandegee's onion at camp

108.jpg
Canary violet at camp

109.jpg
110.jpg
I wandered downhill from camp and saw some movement, then we stood looking at each other for a long time

111.jpg
I had wet feet the entire trip and my feet got pretty torn up

Day 5 - Campsite above Pickle Pass to campsite on Willow Creek near the confluence with Hunter Creek

This turned out to be a wet day, as it started to rain on us in the afternoon, and really didn't let up until deep into the night.

WR_Day_5.jpg
Overview map for day five

112.jpg
Morning shot of the Star Peaks

113.jpg
Tetons to the north

114.jpg
Signs at Pickle Pass

115.jpg
Making our way across Pickle Pass

116.jpg
Bob stepping across the headwaters of Willow Creek

117.jpg
118.jpg
119.jpg
120.jpg
Elk

121.jpg
Dreamer, crossing Willow Creek, with many more crossings to come

122.jpg
Another deer watches us from a distance

123.jpg
And more elk

124.jpg
Good view of Grayback Ridge

125.jpg
They had a landslide in the drainage a couple of years back causing Willow Creek to form a lake

126.jpg
Strawberry

127.jpg
Bob and Dreamer checking out the landslide. They stand atop the debris field.

128.jpg
I was trying to take a picture of a chipmunk when this guy showed up. :)

129.jpg
Time for rain gear again. It wouldn't stop this time.

130.jpg
Coyote track

131.jpg
One, two, three @Rockskipper! Scatman yoga at a hunter's camp in the rain - the downward dog I believe. Notice how the pack
and the water bottle counterbalance each other. :D

132.jpg
We've hit the motherlode @Rockskipper! Horse feed at the hunter's camp. Bring Dooley as quick as you can. :)

133.jpg
Scarlet gilia (scarlet trumpet)

134.jpg
Bear tracks in the trail

135.jpg
Bob's giving the thumbs up to moral I think. Or maybe he is ready to get out of the rain now that his tent is set up?

136.jpg
Trail sign close to camp

Day 6 - Campsite on Willow Creek to the Willow Creek Trailhead

This was a muddy day. It had stopped raining in the night, though around 9:00 PM it poured like all get out, with fierce winds. We simply made our way down Willow Creek, then up and over the ridge to leave the Willow Creek Drainage and drop down to the trailhead. The climb out of Willow Creek was special due to the hillsides being covered with mule-ears and geraniums. Absolutely worth the price of admission.

Being wet and cold, we ate some energy bars and packed up and headed out. We stopped down the trail a ways, when the sum poked out, and ate some breakfast.

WR_Day_6.jpg
Day six overview map

137.jpg
The theme for the day

138.jpg
Willow Creek has grown a bit form its headwaters

139.jpg
Fog lingers in the drianage

139b.jpg
Breakfast with some sunshine on Willow Creek

140.jpg
View from the trail

141.jpg
A bend in Willow Creek

142.jpg
Willow Creek

143.jpg
One of our many fords on day six

144.jpg
And another one :)

145.jpg
Hitchhiker! No wonder my pack weighed so much. :D

146.jpg
Beginning the climb out of Willow Creek

147.jpg
Looking back upcreek on the climb out

148.jpg
A wild rose

149.jpg
And then the main event started. Spectacular!

150.jpg
Eating it up!

151.jpg
Endless

152.jpg
Cream Puff Peak

153.jpg
A right here I guess

154.jpg
Tick!

155.jpg
A western tanager stops for a drink on the muddy trail in front of us

156.jpg
This is getting ridiculous as some horse riders and their dog approach

157.jpg
Since there was a downed tree across the muddy main trail, we met up in the shrubs. Touch and go Skipper.

158.jpg
Beaver Mountain

159.jpg
The Sube! Back at the trailhead.

Well, what a trip, with fantastic scenery and great companions. Thanks Bob and @Dreamer for making it happen.

It was a bit too rainy for my liking, but the elk and the wildflowers sure made up for it. I have never seen more sign of elk anywhere, and that includes Yellowstone. And if solitude is what you are looking for, then look no further, at least in the month of June. We only saw people near the trailheads - horse riders and day hikers. We had the interior of the range all to ourselves.

I would love to head back and take in the southern section that we missed on this one.

For those looking for a slightly different perspective on our trip, be sure and read Bob's excellent trip report here Wyoming Range

Well, if you haven't fallen asleep yet I guess you made it through. It might be time for some more popcorn. :) Happy trails!

The End.

Last edited:
Always an enjoyable read. Suberb scenery. Clearly well researched so you could adapt the route to conditions quickly.

Heap of fording. My GTX boots wouldn't like that but guess that's what camp shoes are for. Those feet definitely look like they were hurting! Camp 4 near Pickle Pass looked dry - maybe you melted snow instead of hauling extra water?

Well, if you can't go off-trail, then make it interesting with horse and game trails? Add a heap of mud cause that wasn't tough enough?

Those meals looked great. MH Beef Stroganoff is one of my favs. My physician wouldn't label it as cardio-friendly though!

Oatmeal and cocoa ought to get me moving this morning. :) A circus peanut might help @TractorDoc.
Circus Peanuts are a motivational super food. Especially when dipped in cocoa. :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire report, except for the feet pictures. . . but only because I was nibbling on supper while reading.

Are you sure that bird of prey was not eyeing @Bob while he napped in the lupines?

What is this Scat-Yoga event that I am reading about? Will this be something you plan to incorporate along the Thorofare? Who knew you were so flexible. . . next time I want to see a leg or arm up in the air! :)

Looking forward to @Dreamer 's perspective of events. That is where we will learn what really took place during this trip.

The little green dot is for you @Rockskipper, signifying our crossing of Mule Creek. :thumbsup:
Also known as Rockskipper Creek, where I first learned how to skip rocks.

As for the yoga, was it hot yoga or Forrest yoga? And I know those two horses you met up with in the bushes. They're bad news, love to muddy up the trails and such. Glad you steered clear of them, but man, your feet - I think you need to ride Dooley on the next trip.

And glad you didn't have any microbursts/blowdowns like the one at Yellowstone a few days ago.

ETA: Wait!!! No heavy spoon???

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Scat! Looks like you had a wonderful time. This is one place that I have never been much and it looks terrific! These days am just living on my bike and back 'Home' right now here in JH. There is still so much out there and happy that you are still getting out with enjoying it all.

Excellent adventure, but it certainly looked a bit soggy! The fly fisher in me wants to fish all those creeks, although maybe when they're not so stained from runoff.

Always an enjoyable read. Suberb scenery. Clearly well researched so you could adapt the route to conditions quickly.

Heap of fording. My GTX boots wouldn't like that but guess that's what camp shoes are for. Those feet definitely look like they were hurting! Camp 4 near Pickle Pass looked dry - maybe you melted snow instead of hauling extra water?

Well, if you can't go off-trail, then make it interesting with horse and game trails? Add a heap of mud cause that wasn't tough enough?

Those meals looked great. MH Beef Stroganoff is one of my favs. My physician wouldn't label it as cardio-friendly though!

Here is the water source for the campsite above Pickle Pass. I'm not sure if it flows year round, but obviously it does in June

100.jpg

Circus Peanuts are a motivational super food. Especially when dipped in cocoa. :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire report, except for the feet pictures. . . but only because I was nibbling on supper while reading.

Are you sure that bird of prey was not eyeing @Bob while he napped in the lupines?

What is this Scat-Yoga event that I am reading about? Will this be something you plan to incorporate along the Thorofare? Who knew you were so flexible. . . next time I want to see a leg or arm up in the air! :)

Looking forward to @Dreamer 's perspective of events. That is where we will learn what really took place during this trip.

That bird of prey was eyeing Bob, but the Scatman presence seemed to be enough to keep it at bay.

101.jpg

And Scatman Yoga is coming to the Thorofare! Be prepared!

Also known as Rockskipper Creek, where I first learned how to skip rocks.

As for the yoga, was it hot yoga or Forrest yoga? And I know those two horses you met up with in the bushes. They're bad news, love to muddy up the trails and such. Glad you steered clear of them, but man, your feet - I think you need to ride Dooley on the next trip.

And glad you didn't have any microbursts/blowdowns like the one at Yellowstone a few days ago.

ETA: Wait!!! No heavy spoon???

I always wondered where that took place. :)

Must of been Forest Yoga.

No, I had to leave the heavy spoon at home, else I would have been stuck in the mud. :)

Thanks for posting Scat! Looks like you had a wonderful time. This is one place that I have never been much and it looks terrific! These days am just living on my bike and back 'Home' right now here in JH. There is still so much out there and happy that you are still getting out with enjoying it all.

Are you going to head into the Teton Wilderness this summer?

Excellent adventure, but it certainly looked a bit soggy! The fly fisher in me wants to fish all those creeks, although maybe when they're not so stained from runoff.

You would have gotten along splendidly with Dreamer. He enjoys fishing, and was wondering about each creek that we came to.

Between your report and @Bob's report, I'm surprised that the Wyoming Range doesn't get more attention. I guess it gets ignored because it is next door to the Tetons and Winds, but it looks like a great place to spend a week or two.

August water is a little more scarce.. so you have to plan stops carefully... may be the reason.

They do have the Wyoming 100 ultramarthon late August. Then Sept is hunting season with a lot of horse traffic

Looks like a beautiful area, one I'd really enjoy...meadows and flowers and creeks and rivers and trees and mountains! :) Checks all boxes.

You would have gotten along splendidly with Dreamer. He enjoys fishing, and was wondering about each creek that we came to.

Would be cool to meet him again. Years ago we actually met and spoke for a while at Hailey Pass in the Winds.

Between your report and @Bob's report, I'm surprised that the Wyoming Range doesn't get more attention. I guess it gets ignored because it is next door to the Tetons and Winds, but it looks like a great place to spend a week or two.

I was wondering the same thing.

Wonderfully documented, as always! Looks like some fantastic country!

I particularly loved the sign for the Straight Creek Trailhead, followed by the image of a creek that didn't look to me to be very straight.

Pickle Pass is something I'd want to head towards just because of the name. I'm a sucker for well-named entities, and usually hugely disappointed. Doesn't look like I would have been to reach this one.

Thanks for posting!

Scatman, now you asked if going into the Teton Wilderness this summer? Just see what happens. I have a bum ankle these days which hinders my hiking but not my biking. Again loved your trip report.