The Trail of Two Forests, Washington

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
nick wanted more ideas for the trip he's planning to the Pacific Northwest, so I thought I'd post another fun little spot about an hour or so north of Portland.

The Trail of Two Forests is on the south side of Mt St Helens National Volcanic Monument. You miss all of the new eruption geology on the south side, but get to experience some pretty cool volcanic remnants from an older age. The first stop we made was at the Trail of Two Forests. There's a $5 parking fee, but it's not bad.
I thought this sign at the trailhead was pretty neat. You get to hike through a forest, and look at what used to be a forest was encased in lava.
The trail is all a boardwalk. It's about 1/4 mile long. They don't want you to leave the trail because of the hidden cavities in the rock.
You can see in this picture where a log was that got covered in lava. The rock has collapsed, but the tree cast is still visible.
The best part of the hike is a part called "The Crawl". The lava covered the base of a tree and two tree trunks that were interconnected. You climb down the ladder into the hole left when the stump decayed, then you crawl through the tubes left when the logs decayed. This is amazingly cool!
This sign shows how it looks.
Here's what it looks like inside. Rock has hardened around the rough bark. The trunks are probably 3' across. Kids just absolutely love this- big kids included. I can't remember of I crawled through two or three times.

One last tree stump hole. The trees died after the lava came through and hardened. Now they are holes that are 6 feet deep. Geology rocks!

Cross-posted from my blog at www.livevicariouslythroughus.blogspot.com

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
beaver-one Section Hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail): Oregon + Washington Trip Planning 3
balzaccom Hard work on the trail--literally Hiking & Camping 3
b.stark Brent's Trail Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Trans Canada trail Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Outdoors24 A weekend on the Pony Express Trail Off Road 2
wsp_scott Lakeshore Trail and two creeks in the Smokies Backpacking 6
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
TractorDoc CVNP Towpath Trail 07/16/2023 Hiking & Camping 4
balzaccom Trail Crews--one more time Backpacking 1
Bob 206 mile water trail Trip Planning 0
Bob New USA long trail Trip Planning 2
Henk Hiking The Portal Trail, Moab Everything Else 2
L Boulder Mail Trail April 2023 Qs Trip Planning 14
fossana AZ Strip bike exploration (Sunshine Trail/Hurricane Wash Loop) Everything Else 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Trail Crew Story General Discussion 0
marquiri Off Trail Advice Trip Planning 17
balzaccom More trail work! Backpacking 0
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 10/10 Backpacking 59
R Pony Express Trail, Black Rock to Simpson Springs Hiking & Camping 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 9/10 Backpacking 16
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 8/10 Backpacking 42
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 7/10 Backpacking 10
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 6/10 Backpacking 10
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 5/10 Backpacking 20
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 4/10 Backpacking 13
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 3/10 Backpacking 7
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 2/10 Backpacking 35
Miya Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 1/10 Backpacking 23
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
balzaccom Desolation Trail Work Backpacking 7
JBG Water Beta 2022 - Highline Trail Trip Planning 6
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
4 Centennial Trail SD information Trip Planning 1
The Trout Whisperer I took on Hotter than H£#§ !!! Hotwater Trail in Texas… Hiking & Camping 19
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
balzaccom Help on the trail--literally General Discussion 7
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
priz1234 John Muir Trail 2021 Backpacking 8
seekinglost 1000 Mile Nevada Thru Hike on the Basin and Range Trail Trip Reports 14
chandlerwest Bryce Canyon - Under The Rim Trail Hiking & Camping 0
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36