The Subway, May 2012

What do you guys think ? Should we bring a wetsuit ?
I'm bringing my scuba skin just in case. It may not help much, but I enjoy looking like a lumpy seal. Also, it matches my bike helmet I'm bringing, so there's that.

Just so you all know I lost a toe nail this week from this hike! o_O My pedicure looks ridiculous now.

No I meant I lost a toe nail from the May 12 hike this week. You still have me beat.

Does this mean we're now tied on Subway descents??

Ha! Now we are tied. 5th time yesterday. And I have now lost a total of three toenails this year. I think I have one more that will fall off soon. Really disturbs me!!!

Very bruised toenail beds. The nail separates from the nail bed and comes off. You bruise them from hitting the toe against the toe box of the shoe while hiking. 5'10 Canyoneers are great for sticking to the rock but brutal on the toes. Not sure I like the shoes so much anymore. In my opinion they are a hard shoe to correctly fit because when they are new they are extremely hard to get your foot into the shoe. With wear they loosen up considerably and you realize you bought a pair to big. I have tired wearing double socks, and stuffing gel inserts in them. Not only have I bruised several of my toes the shoes have created some crazy blisters on the bottom of my feet. I think after this last hike I might not use them again. Feet that are happy make for a better day. Not sure the stick of the shoe is worth the price out of your pocket book or lack of comfort.

Very bruised toenail beds. The nail separates from the nail bed and comes off. You bruise them from hitting the toe against the toe box of the shoe while hiking. 5'10 Canyoneers are great for sticking to the rock but brutal on the toes. Not sure I like the shoes so much anymore. In my opinion they are a hard shoe to correctly fit because when they are new they are extremely hard to get your foot into the shoe. With wear they loosen up considerably and you realize you bought a pair to big. I have tired wearing double socks, and stuffing gel inserts in them. Not only have I bruised several of my toes the shoes have created some crazy blisters on the bottom of my feet. I think after this last hike I might not use them again. Feet that are happy make for a better day. Not sure the stick of the shoe is worth the price out of your pocket book or lack of comfort.

FWIW, mine fit great and my feet are happy, even wearing them for three straight days of backpacking. Hit and miss I suppose.

Not many alternatives around. I couldn' find the right number of the Canyoneers here so I went with the Adidas Hydro Pro. I hope they will have a good grip and be comfortable too.

Not many alternatives around. I couldn' find the right number of the Canyoneers here so I went with the Adidas Hydro Pro. I hope they will have a good grip and be comfortable too.

We met someone wearing those on our trip down the Narrows in June. They looked pretty slick, looking forward to hearing how they are.

What time do you think we should be at the trail head ?

Also, I still have open spots for August 20th if someone is interested !

I would get a very early start if I were you. 7 or 8am. Also, don't forget to bring headlamps in case you end up hiking out in the dark, it happens more than you might imagine!

I would get a very early start if I were you. 7 or 8am. Also, don't forget to bring headlamps in case you end up hiking out in the dark, it happens more than you might imagine!

sounds good. I have no problem waking up early and I have a couple of lights ready :)