The Plug exit of Pictograph Fork (Maze)

RyanP

Formerly bob32
I'm considering doing a route in the Maze that includes the exit at the Plug from Pictograph Fork. I've done several of the other exits in the Maze (Shot Canyon, Pete's Mesa Route, SE Branch of Picto Fork, Sweet Alice to Standing Rock, etc.), but my impression is that the Plug exit may be more difficult than those, and I don't want to do anything much harder than those for this trip because it will be my son's first trip to the Maze. If anyone here has done both the Plug exit as well as some of the others, can you please comment on how hard it is relative to the others?

Thanks!
Ryan

futurafree

I think I once asked a ranger if that exit was spicier than the SE Branch, and she said yes. Sorry, that's all I got. Next time, I'll explore Horse all the way south from the Overlook area because I think it has water and a gentle exit, then walk East past the Plug.

RyanP

Formerly bob32
I think I once asked a ranger if that exit was spicier than the SE Branch, and she said yes. Sorry, that's all I got. Next time, I'll explore Horse all the way south from the Overlook area because I think it has water and a gentle exit, then walk East past the Plug.
Thanks @futurafree. Yeah, that's the kind of hearsay that I've heard before about the Plug (I've heard/read other people saying they heard that it's spicier than the other exits, but I haven't heard a direct comparison from anyone who has done both). @R@nger, @TrailScot, @Nick, @IntrepidXJ: any input is appreciated!

Edit: I had posted this question on Randy's blog (@IntrepidXJ), and just noticed he answered with the following: "I didn’t find The Plug exit any more difficult than any other routes in the Maze. It seemed pretty standard for the area and I didn’t find it difficult at all, other than me being tired at the end of a long hike that day." Thanks Randy!

b.stark

Forever Wandering
While on a trip in the Maze, we talked to a ranger by the Harvest Scene that said that the Plug exit was more difficult than the exit up to Chimney rock, so we ended up taking the latter. The exit up toward Chimney Rock wasn't crazy hard but was not a cake walk either. I thought it was fun myself. If I ever make it back to the Maze I'd be curious to try the Plug exit just to see how it is.

RyanP

Formerly bob32
The exit up toward Chimney Rock wasn't crazy hard but was not a cake walk either. I thought it was fun myself.
Agreed on all accounts. Which is why I want to try the plug next time, but not if it's significantly harder (but Randy didn't think it was).

Last edited: