The other Subway in Zion

Nick

-
Ever been to Springdale and wondered why that Subway sandwich shop near the entrance to Zion is always closed? Well after 9 years of legal battle, Springdale just gave in and in the near future, you'll probably be able to get all the five dollar footlongs your heart desires before hopping on the Zion shuttle. No matter what your opinion is on the topic, this GIF of @lostlandscapes after a long hike at the Green River Subway, seems appropriate here.

doing-the-subway-dance-gif.5080

http://www.springdale.co/springdale-repeals-formula-restaurants-ordinance/

Springdale Repeals Formula Restaurants Ordinance
Written by Marcos Camargo

In an emotionally charged meeting on Monday, June 29, the Springdale Town Council voted unanimously to accept a settlement agreement ending a nine-year legal battle with Izzy Poco, LLC. Izzy Poco filed suit against the town and several of its elected officials after the corporation’s application for a business license to open a franchise Subway sandwich shop was rejected. The suit challenged a Springdale town ordinance banning “formula restaurants” that was meant to preserve the community’s village atmosphere. Earlier this year, a federal ruling dismissed Izzy Poco’s suit without prejudice because the Springdale Town Council rejected the application due to incorrectly filed paperwork. However, the federal ruling also recognized that Izzy Poco could still pursue litigation challenging the constitutionality of the ordinance.

Izzy Poco chose to move forward with the case, arguing that the ordinance violated the commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution. Springdale officials, under pressure from their insurance carrier to settle, acquiesced to the demands of Izzy Poco. The resulting settlement placed no liability on either party but requires the town to pay $787,500 to Izzy Poco. The settlement also requires that a business license be issued to Zion Sandwiches, LLC, a company owned by an immediate family member of some of Izzy Poco’s owners, as well as an agreement by the town to repeal the prohibition on formula restaurants. Under the settlement terms, Izzy Poco agrees to comply with other Springdale ordinances including regulations on signage, building codes, and health regulations.

Several residents expressed deep disappointment with the settlement. Among those who voiced their opposition was Louise Excell.

“You’ve rolled over,” said Excell. “You’ve given away this town… And if your attorneys have recommended that you approve this settlement, then you not only need a new law firm, but you need a new insurance company. And if you approve this, I would respectfully ask you to submit your resignation.”

Council member Adrian Player rebuffed Excell’s request.

“I am not prepared to resign,” said Player. “I find that comment offensive. I will probably run again, and if you don’t like my decisions, don’t vote for me.”

Mayor Stan Smith described his time as mayor as “not fun.” He said the decision to settle with Izzy Poco was one the council did not take lightly.

The council has not yet officially rescinded the ordinance but will hold a public comment session and vote on the issue July 7. Statements by both the council and the town’s attorney suggest that the repeal has been all but officially decided.

Mixed emotions...I'm all for capitalism, but I also like the idea that a town can avoid falling victim to terrible places like Subway. Maybe if it was a Five Guys or In and Out I'd feel differently, but Subway is...just terrible.

Small town politics is funny to watch sometimes. I can't imagine a $780,000 settlement is chump change for such a small town. It's gotta be a bit painful. Didn't they have to pay a settlement in the past few years for shaking down foreign tourists on speeding tickets???

As far as chain restaurants go and the footprint they leave, Subway seems like one of the most chill places that could come to town. In and Out is tasty but those places have a big footprint and stand out like a sore thumb. Maybe a better ordinance would have been just to let capitalism do it's thing but require places to not build huge, ugly storefronts.

I'm a Subway fan, and I have always been frustrated at the lack of quick food options in that town, so this is really welcome news for me. Sometimes you just need to grab something quick and cheap and be on your way.

I had taken to just bringing all my food whenever I go down there, which doesn't help the local economy much, at least this way they get people like me putting some amount of money into the local economy. I think Nick had the best solution, just require ordinances defining how the storefront can look, then you keep the atmosphere but allow the market to work.

As far as chain restaurants go and the footprint they leave, Subway seems like one of the most chill places that could come to town. In and Out is tasty but those places have a big footprint and stand out like a sore thumb. Maybe a better ordinance would have been just to let capitalism do it's thing but require places to not build huge, ugly storefronts.

The problem though, from Springdale's position, is the precedent set by this. It starts with Subway but if there's money to be made, others will follow. I agree with you though... they should have just used restrictive zoning to achieve their goals instead of trying to ban chain restaurants.

I stopped eating Subway and all other fast food a couple years ago because the chemicals they put in the bread. Plus it's just bad. They aren't the only ones though - http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/06/health/subway-bread-chemical/index.html
Except when traveling. sometimes it's the only option but lately we've been trying to stop at grocery stores for food instead.
But remember - Spam is Ok ;)
finding food without scary chemicals is nearly impossible to do now days in the U.S.

Ordinances like that usually lose...... North Ogden had similar ones and an business advertising sign height ordinances, spent a ton of money in legal battles and lost ....and we are a fairly large town....... banning isn't the answer, but managing is.

AND spam is a NEVER for me....... can you say nitrates

I was just in Springdale and after all I had heard about it, was astonished at how small a town it actually was. Seems like there are enough good restaurants there where it should be hard for a Subway to even stay in business. We ate breakfast and lunch a few times at a place called Cafe Soleil which had some awesome food. Stayed at a place called the Desert Pearl which was beautiful and the owner was nice enough to let us store our electronics in their office for 2 days after checking out so they wouldn't fry in the car. I recall seeing the Subway sign illuminated, so I assumed it was open. In all honesty, I didn't think the sign stood out in a negative way. Looked like everyone else's sign in town and I barely noticed it. I do think however, that they should start permitting or somehow limiting the bottom up Narrows hike, after hiking from the top down, the hike felt as if it had turned into a bit of a farce by the time it ended.

I do think however, that they should start permitting or somehow limiting the bottom up Narrows hike, after hiking from the top down, the hike felt as if it had turned into a bit of a farce by the time it ended.
Agreed. It's mayhem. Way too many people. Last time I did it top down, I don't think I even got my camera out for the last 3-4 miles.

Actually I'm sad about the Subway as we live in St. George and Springdale is our best option for dining variety. Love celebrating a good hike at Oscar's or Whiptail. I hope the chains don't make it impossible for the locals to compete. Although a little less of a line at Oscar's might not be all bad!

Mmmmm... Oscar's.

But with that said, Oscar's and Subway is like apples and oranges. I'd do dinner at Oscars. I'd pickup a sandwich and head for a hike from Subway. But with that said, I'd love to see more options and less of a line at Oscar's too. :)

Agreed. It's mayhem. Way too many people. Last time I did it top down, I don't think I even got my camera out for the last 3-4 miles.

I must have hit it on a good day when I went in May. Once I passed Orderville Canyon I was almost alone.

On topic...I liked to feel of Springdale when I was there. If I were a local restaurant owner, I would absolutely fear the impact of Subway, and the inevitable McD's, Taco Bell, etc. Tourists will gravitate to the familiar, which will ultimately hurt the local guys.

I must have hit it on a good day when I went in May. Once I passed Orderville Canyon I was almost alone.

On topic...I liked to feel of Springdale when I was there. If I were a local restaurant owner, I would absolutely fear the impact of Subway, and the inevitable McD's, Taco Bell, etc. Tourists will gravitate to the familiar, which will ultimately hurt the local guys.

That's what I'm afraid of.
On the other note, you guys are just hitting the Narrows at the wrong time of year. This was last December.
P1010977.JPG

Cuts down the crowds quite a bit!