The Ortenburger Lake Expedition, Grand Teton National Park

stsying on the crest at Mica and the Wigwams depends on your steepness tolerance......

Bob, I didn't find it that bad. In 2018 we climbed up from Mica and stayed up (just below the crest) the entire time. Camped at one of the lakes near the wigwams (the lake closest to Table. I think there were 4 "lakes" in the area) The next day was easy. Over to Table Mountain, then down into the south fork and back up to Avalanche Divide. Camped at Snowdrift Lake. Then out to our car waiting for us at Taggart TH.

Reactions: Bob
Where are you planning to start and finish? The short answer is, Yes. You can summit Table or stay south of it and hit the trail in the basin. But you SHOULD grab the highly trafficked summit of Table while you're there. There is very little exposure above Mica, but it can be easily avoided.
Don't know yet. Always just looking to find ways to connect things. Watched Joey's video coming down from the Wigwams toward Alpha/Omega and it looked a bit technical. Have you actually done that route?

Did anyone from your group create a track for your Moose Basin to Ortenburger trip?

Hi all! Gonna revisit this for a bit now that I'm back in the park. I hiked up to and camped at Alpha/Omega from Cascade Canyon a couple days ago. Lakes were beautiful. But I'm still curious about the high route - the north-south ridge that is the park boundary. Curious what it's like going from Hurricane Pass to Table and continuing north along the ridge to the top of the Solitude bowl. It was hard to get a sense of that terrain from where I stood at Alpha and Omega. Is that entire thing actually walkable? The ridge looked so jagged and like there were a couple tiny, pyramidal peaks that might be hard to get around. If anyone has a kml track for that route that would be sweet. Thanks!

Hi all! Gonna revisit this for a bit now that I'm back in the park. I hiked up to and camped at Alpha/Omega from Cascade Canyon a couple days ago. Lakes were beautiful. But I'm still curious about the high route - the north-south ridge that is the park boundary. Curious what it's like going from Hurricane Pass to Table and continuing north along the ridge to the top of the Solitude bowl. It was hard to get a sense of that terrain from where I stood at Alpha and Omega. Is that entire thing actually walkable? The ridge looked so jagged and like there were a couple tiny, pyramidal peaks that might be hard to get around. If anyone has a kml track for that route that would be sweet. Thanks!
I hiked that 3-4 years ago from N to S (Littles to Hurricane Pass). It is walkable with some scrambling involved but nothing technical. Rather than going over Wigwams, I camped at the lake just west of Wigwams.

You might need 3 nights to complete the trip but you can hike up Leigh Canyon to Mink Lake and camp there. Leigh Canyon took me longer than expected but it is not too bad. There are some game trails in Leigh Canyon but nothing that lasts very long. It took me 5-6 hours to travel up from the bottom of Leigh Cyn to Mink Lake but I was not acclimated at all to the altitude, and I am older and slow enough as it is.

Then continue west to the divide and north, or north past Maidenform to Moran Creek. It's a steep slog up to Ortenburger but doable. Avoid traveling up or down Moran Creek canyon, it is really brushy, rocky, slow and miserable.

Backtracking out is the fastest option. OR if you have a shuttle or other means, you could go out to the west and head down South Badger or one of the Leigh Creeks.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
Joey Moose Basin, Ortenburger Lake, Glacier Lakes Northern Grand Teton NP 6 Day Trip Backpacking 6
scatman Grebe Lake - September 4th through the 6th, 2024 Meet Up (Members Only) 20
K How long in Lake Bled? Trip Planning 1
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
Ugly Two Popular Lake Basins in the Cascades Backpacking 12
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Red Deer Lake & Beyond Backpacking 10
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
kwc Limekiln Lake paddle On The Water 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
DrNed Naturalist Basin: Blue Lake to Shaler Lake? Trip Planning 12
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
kwc Jockeybush Lake- southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
Ross Any Lake Powell experts who can advice on changed conditions at dramatically new lake levels? Trip Planning 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. Part One of Two. Backpacking 61
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
scatman Pacific Creek, Moss Lake and Gravel Lake - Teton Wilderness - October 7, 2022 Backpacking 32
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Hayden Valley, Trout Creek, Beach Lake, and Arnica Creek Meadows. September 11, 2022. Hiking & Camping 7
balzaccom Obata Lake...xc in Yosemite Backpacking 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
P Yellowstone, one night by a lake Backpacking 19
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
P Yellowstone--Heart Lake to South Entrance Backpacking 13
scatman Shoshone Lake Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - July 24, 2022 Backpacking 63
T How big are the Mirror Lake campgrounds in the Porkies? Trip Planning 6
Georgia Yankee Apostle Islands, Lake Superior (again), June 2022 On The Water 4
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0
K Hello from the Salt Lake Valley Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
J Lake Powell at 3528 feet General Discussion 1
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 5 - Camp Lake to Titcomb Basin Backpacking 15
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 4 - Halls Lake to Camp Lake Backpacking 17
WasatchWill WRHR: Day 3 - 'Desolation Valley' to Halls Lake Backpacking 15
J Lake Mead NRA and Sloan Canyon NCA summit and vista hikes. Nov 21-25, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Grizzly Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September - 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 149