The Ortenburger Lake Expedition, Grand Teton National Park

Joey

walking somewhere
If you don't know where this is, don't worry. No one else does either ;).

This is a special place. And one of the most "Epic" trips I've ever done. Although I know people visit here, Its probably less than once per year (and even then its mostly backcountry rangers who visit). If you do a search online, the only pictures and trip reports will come back here. I have no problem putting It out here, since its extremely hard to reach.

This is a rough draft video. I'm still learning video editing, and will be working on this for a while. But the footage is spectacular. For anyone who wants to skip ahead, things get pretty good around the 14 minute mark.

Special thanks to @kcwins, who was a part of this trip.

Last edited:
looks like a lot of images are broken on the linked trip report

Your right, I'm not sure what's going on there. Has something to do with Facebook hosting the images.

Might be privacy settings on Facebook? I tried right clicking and loading up one of the images last night and it gave me an odd message. Don't forget you're always welcome to host your photos right here on BCP. I know it can be a pain sometimes doing it externally.

What an awesome looking trip and picturesque landscapes, especially that 2nd night campsite. I second the others, thanks for making this for us to enjoy.

Thanks for taking the time to do this @Joey. I'm still working on my video which includes video and pictures from all 3 of us. Trying to get it down to about 45 minutes if I can.
This was a top 2 all time Teton trip for me. I've been there many many times and this trip is right there with one I did in 2006 where I felt like I was at a zoo. Wildlife everywhere!
I went back for a second trip the week after Labor Day. This trip (the Ortenburger trip along with my company) basically ruined that trip. The weather was much nicer too. Thanks Utah.

Great trip. I always wondered if you could make it down Moran Canyon, looks doable with your video. Just FYI the sign on top of Moose peak and Moose Basin must have been misleading about the Idaho boundary. You were still a good 10 miles inside of Wyoming up there on the Teton spine. Idaho is a good 10 miles West. Plenty of beautiful Wyoming country to explore between you and Idaho in the Bitch Creek and Hidden lake area dropping down towards Squirrel Meadows. Nice hike, thanks for posting and taking the time for letting us share.

Brent, since this trip I've been north of Mount Moran a few times. The following year we did a trip starting at the same TH and only got as far as the Glacier Lake system where we were snowed in for 3 days. I think Vegan wrote a trip report on it as that trip included Joey, John (Vegan), Johns friend Craig, Ben (Ben) and me. We ended up backtracking to Moose Basin then exited on the west side. We hiked past Camp Lake and down Bitch Creek. It was a 20+ mile day that ended up with a $300 taxi ride back to Jackson after 10:00PM.

Ben had informed us that we were NOT in Idaho while up there. As we exited down Bitch Creek we passed the sign indicating we were now in Idaho.

While there is footage from that trip, a video has yet to be created. I still love it up there (North of Moran).

Peace

Did you map your track for this? I'm wanting to hike the crest through the northern canyons, but my preference is to go off-trail on the east side of the crest - not on the FS trails on the west side. Thanks!

Did you map your track for this? I'm wanting to hike the crest through the northern canyons, but my preference is to go off-trail on the east side of the crest - not on the FS trails on the west side. Thanks!
Joey doesn't post here much...
East side was burned few years back in the Berry fire...

Joey doesn't post here much...
East side was burned few years back in the Berry fire...
I've hiked Berry, Owl, and Webb Canyons all as recently as this past summer. Lots of post-fire growth, yes, but my question is about route-finding along the Crest...

I've hiked Berry, Owl, and Webb Canyons all as recently as this past summer. Lots of post-fire growth, yes, but my question is about route-finding along the Crest...
K... . One word, easy if you're used to off trail stuff, which I do alot Did from grassy lake to Teton pass years ago but stayed on the west side to avoid carrying bear canisters. I saw a report years ago if someone hiking the divide without getting off it much at least to near solitude if I remember right

K... . One word, easy if you're used to off trail stuff, which I do alot Did from grassy lake to Teton pass years ago but stayed on the west side to avoid carrying bear canisters. I saw a report years ago if someone hiking the divide without getting off it much at least to near solitude if I remember righon
How was going from Littles down to Solitude for you? That looks like a pretty steep descent.

Where do you meet up with the trail? Do you summit Table and then go down to Hurricane Pass? How is the ledge past Mica? Any exposure?

Where are you planning to start and finish? The short answer is, Yes. You can summit Table or stay south of it and hit the trail in the basin. But you SHOULD grab the highly trafficked summit of Table while you're there. There is very little exposure above Mica, but it can be easily avoided.