Album The members of backcountrypost.com

I discovered that although the Mirror Lake Highway is officially closed the gate at the North Slope Road was still open. I managed to get up to the Bear River Ranger Station for a short hike up to Lily Lake. Did not disappoint!

DSC01439.jpg

Only a small bit of snow, not icy.

DSC01440.jpg

I made it! So peaceful!

DSC01441.jpg

This little guy caught my eye.

DSC01456.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

Since I’ve posted pics of our granddaughter and younger grandson I figured I’d post then and now pics of our older grandson.

First pic taken when he was about 2 1/2. The second pic was taken about two months ago before a hockey tournament in Anchorage. He’s 12 1/2 now, 5’10”, size 10 shoes/skates, and towers over all of his hockey teammates.

6D841E07-7CD0-40A2-9175-CDC9AB126D73.jpeg
5049C9BD-AAC6-4872-8D8A-64825143EEDC.jpeg"

the weather turned and I took advantage of this nice 22-degree sun halo

sun%20halo%20copy-XL.jpg

Hi all,
I've been away. 2020 events have consumed me. It reflected in my backcountry wandering and my posting and attendance here. Not much of any of that.

One of these events is pictured below. Missed you guys!

New mountain view, from the new retirement house in Interlaken, UT's front yard, trial running my new Weber!

Wasatch Skyline Brazier

IMG_3304.JPG

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've been away. 2020 events have consumed me. It reflected in my backcountry wandering and my posting and attendance here. Not much of any of that.

One of these events is pictured below. Missed you guys!

New mountain view, from the new retirement house in Interlaken, UT's front yard, trial running my new Weber!

Wasatch Skyline Brazier

Bout time! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Since I’ve posted pics of our granddaughter and younger grandson I figured I’d post then and now pics of our older grandson.

First pic taken when he was about 2 1/2. The second pic was taken about two months ago before a hockey tournament in Anchorage. He’s 12 1/2 now, 5’10”, size 10 shoes/skates, and towers over all of his hockey teammates.

View attachment 94374
View attachment 94375"
Wow, he plays for the North Stars? That's some high level of hockey.

Nice! What part of the Gores is that?
Piney River basin. We got up to the high lake below the Spider but because my buddy's knee wasn't cooperating we didn't have time to get up to Upper Piney Lake or the other basin. It's beautiful though, I definitely want to get back.

Piney River basin. We got up to the high lake below the Spider but because my buddy's knee wasn't cooperating we didn't have time to get up to Upper Piney Lake or the other basin. It's beautiful though, I definitely want to get back.
Was there a particularly high number of downed trees off-trail in that area? I heard that in parts of the state there is a lot of deadfall in certain below-treeline basins from a massive wind event from that early-Sept. storm. I was wondering if that side of the Gores was hit bad. I'm thinking of doing a quick overnighter there next summer (basically a lollipop route starting at Booth TH and going over West Booth Pass and East Booth Pass, circumnavigating the Spider and the Fly), but my main concern at this point is running into tons of downed trees.