The Maze District - in Video

steve

Wait.

Don't read this trip report yet.

Just like any trip to the maze, this TR requires a fair amount of time to soak it all in. Find a time when you have 10 minutes and come back to enjoy this trip report then; it'll be worth it.

I am more comfortable telling my stories through video than through my feeble attempts at creative writing. This trip features BCP's very own Tess and Miss Buffalo. Enjoy.

For the DAAs of the world, who don't like to watch videos ;), stay tuned for @Miss Buffalo's traditional trip report coming soon.

Ok, now you can skim the following images in the next 30 seconds. Here are a few of my favorite images from the trip:

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1343.JPG

My latest style of night photography tries to focus on well-known constelations. Here you can see Orion's Belt above the chocolate drops.

IMG_1323.JPG

And here is casiopia. It's tougher than you 'dthink to not over-expose it and show all the stars behind these.

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

For some reason we weren't comfortable sleeping outside our tents at China Neck...

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1459.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Way cool! When was this trip? And how long did it take you to create the vid? :)

Way cool! When was this trip? And how long did it take you to create the vid? :)

Thanks, it was such a fun trip. This happened 3 weeks ago. it took me about 20+ hours to make the video. I'm getting quicker, but I'm just starting to add the narration/interview aspect to my videos. I actually love the element the interviews bring to my videos, but it adds at least 4 hours to the editing. But it's worth it, I'm really happy with the final video.

It's tough trying to strike the balance between a perfect video and a super fun trip. I could make the videos better with a tripod, and a dedicated mic, and multiple camera angles, but that would take all the fun out of being on the trip, so I'm just trying to improve my efficiency while filming on a trip.

That was awesome! Hope to see more happen thank you!

Cool, glad you like it. You'll see more, I promise. We do a big trip at least once a month. The next few months have quite a few epic trips coming. It's going to be a busy summer editing videos at my house.

Wow. That's some dedication to allocate 20 hours +! Think how cool it'll be in 40 years from now to go back and watch. =) You can impress the grandkids and such. "Wow...you used to do THAT!?"

I totally agree (and forgot to comment) about the interviews. They add a raw element and you often capture stuff that would have otherwise been forgotten.

I can see the challenge between good video/super fun trip. Keep up the good work and keep having fun.

this was such a great trip with so much fun!!!
For me in particular it was very special to come back and retake all the pictures I lost in super storm Sandy from my first Maze trip.
I don't know but I'm definitely in the mood to go back next year and explore more of it.

I really like the way you created the video, Steve. The interviews add a specific note to it.
I have a lot of video clips too but no way to do an edited video.

this was such a great trip with so much fun!!!
For me in particular it was very special to come back and retake all the pictures I lost in super storm Sandy from my first Maze trip.
I don't know but I'm definitely in the mood to go back next year and explore more of it.

I really like the way you created the video, Steve. The interviews add a specific note to it.
I have a lot of video clips too but no way to do an edited video.

I am 100% in for a trip next year!

Excellent video edit!

Steve et al, this is fantastic. That movie is a well made documentary. Very well done and what great still shots!!

Awesome! My favorite was the still of the butte and the moon to the right.

wait 'till you see Yvonne's TR, she got some incredible shots.

Yvonne, I love your accent. I went to Germany 3 years ago, and hearing you makes me want to return.

I am ashamed to say I have yet to make it into the maze yet. Perhaps this year...

Last edited:
Great trip and Video!
It's a beautiful landscape there.

Yvonne, I love you accent. I went to Germany 3 years ago, and hearing you makes me want to return.

I am ashamed to say I have yet to make it into the maze yet. Perhaps this year...

yeah, I still have my accent, even after almost years....

If you wait until we go next year, you could join us. Backpacking the Maze in March during Spring Break :)

If you wait until we go next year, you could join us. Backpacking the Maze in March during Spring Break :)

x2, it'd be great to have you with us Dan.

Part of me is tempted to paddle from Mineral Bottom, to Spanish bottom, hike the maze, then get picked up by the jetboat at the end. That could be really cool.

Last edited: