The Chimneys

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

zionsky

To escape the craziness for a bit, my daughter and I went up to the Linville gorge wilderness on Friday. It was a beautiful day albeit quite hot (low 80s) for this time of year. It had been a few years since I had been to this part of the pisgah national forest but it has a ton of trails with none being overly long or difficult. We got kind of a late start to the day so we just did the chimneys trail below table rock mountain. It's a fun trail with lots of variation and great views in all directions. Good thing is we hardly saw anybody all day so social distancing was not a problem
20200327_121954.jpg

table rock mountain to the north
20200327_122822.jpg

the linville gorge below
20200327_132219.jpg
DSC_0143.JPG

the chimneys straight ahead
DSC_0146.JPG
DSC_0162.JPG

the trail weaves over, under and thru the rock formations
DSC_0153.JPG

Hawksbill mountain to the far left, Table Rock in the center, chimney trail in the bottom right
20200327_132056_resized.jpg

pano

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

OwenM

Mostly climbers when I was there in December. Just one small group at the Chimneys, and another off-trail on Table Rock. Pretty much had it all to myself, otherwise. Beautiful area!

BJett

Awesome! Love me some Linville. Rugged backpacking and some of the best views in the southeast.

zionsky

Mostly climbers when I was there in December. Just one small group at the Chimneys, and another off-trail on Table Rock. Pretty much had it all to myself, otherwise. Beautiful area!
The parking areas at ginger cake and hawksbill were full when we got there but only 3-4 cars at the gate (which was still closed) to table rock. First time I've ever had to walk up that road to the TH. It's a steep 1.5 miles.

wsp_scott

I was just there for a couple nights about 10 days ago, still need to put together a trip report.

John Morrow

Hawksbill mountain to the far left, Table Rock in the center, chimney trail in the bottom rightView attachment 87501
pano

Love the pano. Got my introduction to crosscountry travel and heavy packs with NCOBS back in Jan of 1984 and shared this exact view. Thanks so much as I have no photo record of it to reminisce with!

zionsky

Love the pano. Got my introduction to crosscountry travel and heavy packs with NCOBS back in Jan of 1984 and shared this exact view. Thanks so much as I have no photo record of it to reminisce with!
I was supposed to have been in southern utah last week but postponed that to the fall. Luckily, this area is only a couple of hours away from my house. Given the current events, I'll probably be making several more trips to this area in the coming months