The art of pooping in the woods

On a related note, I bought my wife one of those Go-Girl devices thinking it would make life so much more convenient for her in the woods. Of course, I didn't think, as my wife was quick to point out, that in order to use it, she'd still have to pull her pants and all down, which ultimately defeats the extra measure of modesty I thought it would give her on the majority of nature calls. Still, after some attempts to practice using it at home, she said it just felt too awkward and would probably make her less comfortable trying to use it out in the wild. She figured if she still has to pull her pants down and expose herself to use it anyways, she may as well just continue on with the traditional squat and have the luxury of not having to pack the extra object nor worry about the hygiene of it.

However, it looks like other women have given it rave reviews and it has become a life changer for the better for them. Perhaps those are they who use it in public restrooms that are less than ideal and other similar situations.

I don't have a picture of it but years ago while out deer hunting I came across a make shift toilet... It was one of those old aluminum frame, nylon webbing, fold-up outdoor lawn chairs that your grandma still uses. It still had the back webbing on it but the seat section had been cut away and a toilet seat was in its place. There was even a coffee can with dry toilet paper in it.There is nothing quite like dropping a deuce on a toilet with arm rests.We still hunt in the area and it's earned the name of shitter draw. You just need to watch your step when your hunting in that draw...

Bumping this thread . . . so I've got my first BP trip of the year to Cedar Mesa in two weeks. I've always pooped in the hole, burned the toilet paper and then buried in all together in my 6" hole. Well, the Cedar Mesa permit specifically says to not to burn toilet paper and to pack it out.

For those who have done this, what are your methods for collecting and packing out your toilet paper so it's sanitary and mostly "out of sight, out of mind."

I've heard of some people covering the outside of the ziploc with duct tape for the "out of sight". Putting the ziplocs into a small opsak is another way. That will control any odor. Or as Nick says, double up on the ziplocs.

I love how they appear to just be crapping into a regular old kitchen drawstring garbage bag in that photo. o_O

I also find it amusing that it only costs $100 to adorn your vehicle with this lovely and functional ornament. They should think about making an optional magazine rack upgrade.

Bumping this thread . . . so I've got my first BP trip of the year to Cedar Mesa in two weeks. I've always pooped in the hole, burned the toilet paper and then buried in all together in my 6" hole. Well, the Cedar Mesa permit specifically says to not to burn toilet paper and to pack it out.

For those who have done this, what are your methods for collecting and packing out your toilet paper so it's sanitary and mostly "out of sight, out of mind."

Even though it's more expensive, I always take a Restop 2 bag. Each bag has a biodegradable chemical which not only breaks down waste but also neutralizes any odor. The bags seal very well and can hold several days of toilet paper.

Last edited:
Even though it's more expensive, I always take a Restop 2 bag. Each bag has a biodegradable chemical which not only breaks down waste but also neutralizes any odor. The bags seal very well and can several days of toilet paper.

This is really helpful to know about. Thanks.

I love how they appear to just be crapping into a regular old kitchen drawstring garbage bag in that photo. o_O
When we did the Green River last year that's exactly what we did. Drawstring trash bag, a scoop of dirt when you're done, take all the air out and tie it up tight. Then into orange bucket you see here. If you'll notice the one on the near side has a strip of black duct tape on the front marking it as the nuclear waste collection bucket.:eek:DSCN0369.JPG

I've heard of some people covering the outside of the ziploc with duct tape for the "out of sight". Putting the ziplocs into a small opsak is another way. That will control any odor. Or as Nick says, double up on the ziplocs.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll go get some decorative duct tape and cover my bags.

I just try to fold up my used TP so that I don't have to see 'the goods'. What little stays showing hasn't been a problem. Definitely not a bad smeared with poop, that's for sure.