Texas Pass Cirque of Towers Lower Wind River Range August 2018

pstm13

Auribus Teneo Lupum
I was hoping to get some specific information about Texas Pass. I plan to take my son and daughter through the Cirque of Towers from the Big Sandy trail head the second week of August. We will of course turn around and go out the way we came if I don't feel comfortable for any reason. I have read several reports and blogs on the subject but still don't feel settled on the issue so I thought I would as for some advice. If I overlooked a post with the following information I apologize in advance.

My kids are teenagers and I would rate them as intermediate level backpackers.
-Should we travel clockwise or counter clockwise through the Texas and Jackass Pass loop?
-Should I avoid Texas Pass all together?
-Fishing suggestions on lakes and lures/flies?
-How brutal is the road to the Big Sandy trail head?
-Does 3 days and 2 nights sound reasonable?
-Camp site suggestions?

1: I like clockwise. It is steep and a bit loose on the north side use trail and I prefer to climb that though it is not too bad to descend. A trekking pole is helpful.

2: Do it. I don’t know your kids, but intermediate skills should cover it. Great views, some work and you get the loop.

3: Not a skilled fisher, but I like a Griffith’s Gnat. Not dead certain but I think all the lakes around there have brookies at least, Shadow has lots of smalls.

4: The last few miles can be rough, but unless something has changed since last season, a passenger car driven with attention should be fine.

5: Sure, add a day if you want to hang out more or go slower.

6: This is a very well traveled area of the Winds and you will find nice use campsites all over, especially at the lakes. Shadow has nice views and sets you up for an early climb.

D93B7834-1351-46B9-9709-564D6D932EE0.jpeg
Texas Pass north side

I'll help a bit with fishing. far as flies, size 12 and 16 copper johns are a high country staple for me. hares ears are good too. a few woolly buggers can be helpful. for dries, elk hair caddis or simulators seem to work well, but strangely I'm not much of a dry fly fisherman. there are plenty of other flies that can work too but those are my most consistent producers.

On standard gear, plain size 0 brass vibrax is one of my favorites. jakes money clips and little cleos also work well, especially when you have to go really deep or cast far.

Texas pass not hard .... Just steep. Pretty decent use trail down north side talus.... Fishing I spin fish and use almost exclusively all thru the winds Jake's money clip gold and red spots... Out fish fly fishers all the time.....

Texas pass not hard .... Just steep. Pretty decent use trail down north side talus.... Fishing I spin fish and use almost exclusively all thru the winds Jake's money clip gold and red spots... Out fish fly fishers all the time.....
I’ll check it out. I’m taking my 11 year old daughter so I’ll see how she feels about the steep part.

Headed to The Cirque (from Dickinson Park TH) in Aug 2019...2 llamas will be helping so the kids (ages 13, 11, 11) can carry less. 5 nights/6 days...cant wait!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jjmcwill Cirque of the Towers - Texas Pass in August Trip Planning 4
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
Lincsco Wind Rivers - Texas Pass Trip Planning 5
jjmcwill Southern Wind River Range - Texas Pass on Aug 11th Trip Planning 44
The Trout Whisperer Show me th cold, icy and snow pics…Burnin up here in Texas! General Discussion 35
toddrparr Easy family backpacking in Big Thicket Preserve, Texas Trip Planning 0
4 New From E Texas Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
F Any where good? (in Texas) Trip Planning 4
CavalryRoadie Hey, from Dripping Springs, Texas... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
N Howdy from Texas Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Adventures With BeeGee Trip Report: Palmetto State Park, Texas Hiking & Camping 0
Adventures With BeeGee Some Texas News General Discussion 1
Adventures With BeeGee Lockhart State Park, Texas Hiking & Camping 3
Adventures With BeeGee Noob from Texas Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
uintahiker Texas High Point: Guadalupe Peak Hiking & Camping 0
Clint_N Arch and Texas Canyons, February 25-28 Backpacking 13
gnwatts Texas Canyon 2008 Backpacking 6
lostlandscapes Wind River Range: Big Sandy/Deep/Cirque/Texas Loop Backpacking 24
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
balzaccom Desolation: Rockbound Pass Backpacking 0
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
TeamJenkins17 Bonneville Pass - August 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
C Dinwoody/Bonney Pass Summer Conditions Trip Planning 1
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
marmot_boi Hailey Pass-Cirque of The Towers loop Backpacking 14
NorthwestWanderer Washingtons Okanogan National Forest : PCT/grass hopper pass Backpacking 7
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
b.stark Wrangell-St Elias "Seven Pass Route" Backpacking 29
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
Perry July 14th Dead Horse Pass Recon Trip Hiking & Camping 10
NorthwestWanderer Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass Hiking & Camping 1
S Washakie: E. Dunoir Creek - Shoshone Pass Info Trip Planning 13
woodmaker_58 Table Mt to Hurricane Pass/ Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 5
NorthwestWanderer Overnighter in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness : Ingalls Pass and Lake Ingalls Backpacking 9
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking Four Pass Loop Backpacking 2
NorthwestWanderer Copper Pass, North Cascades (Day Hike + Bear sighting) Hiking & Camping 1