Teton Wilderness July 2019

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

TeamJenkins17

This trip was absolutely incredible, we started off at the Brooks Lake trailhead and finished at the Angles trailhead near Togwotee lodge. We did this roughly 35 miles over 4 days and saw some of the most incredible scenery we’ve ever seen. This is absolutely wild and just untouched country in here. The forest is so thick in areas you literally have no visibility on the trail and at one point went on like that for over three miles. We stumbled upon a large grizzly as we reached the top of a hill along the the Buffalo Fork, we were making lots of noise, but the roar of the river, wind blowing against us and dense brush put us virtually face to face, probably 30 yards away or less. He kind of tilted his head, looked incredibly annoyed at us and ran a short distance before turning around looking at us again and then casually walked off. The encounter was both terrifying and amazing, but fortunately for us ended up well. All in all this experience was what we hoped for and so much more. We saw tons of wildlife, beautiful mountains and rivers and just felt blessed to be able to see such beauty.

Attachments

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Jackson

I like to go outside.
YES. I've been looking forward to seeing this one. I have to live vicariously through you since I very sadly didn't get out there this summer. These shots are incredible, and you've got me dying to get back!

How were the bugs up there in July?

TeamJenkins17

YES. I've been looking forward to seeing this one. I have to live vicariously through you since I very sadly didn't get out there this summer. These shots are incredible, and you've got me dying to get back!

How were the bugs up there in July?
Sorry to hear you didn’t make it out there this year buddy, sadly life has to get in the way of our backpacking adventures haha. The bugs weren’t terrible, there were several spots that were fairly bad, but overall I’d say tolerable. Though we did spray our gear and clothes with permethrin and used picardirin cream which works awesome. The last 2.5 miles was both the toughest (almost straight up for 2 miles) and it was mostly horse use so the flies were insane.

Kmatjhwy

Wilderness Wanderer
Now loved your trip report with all the photos. Thanks a bunch for posting! Glad that you came out on the safe side after that encounter with a Grizzly! Now personally I have been all over this country and miss it. I haven't been back in here for several years now, maybe next summer. Also personally have seen lots of grizzlies in this country and am still in one piece. Do think many of the bears just do not want much to do with us. Yes all of this country back in here is really totally amazing and some of the most wildest country remaining here in the lower 48 states. Glad that you had such a wonderful trip.

Artemus

I walk
Very, very nice, Jenkins! Great photography as well. Something about traveling grizzly country makes you feel alive, doesn't it?