Teton Crest Trail via Coal Creek/Moose Meadow trails

Papathedoc

We will be hiking the TCT in Aug for 4 nights/5days and wondered if anyone has hiked to the TCT via the Coal Creek trail. I have a permit for Marion Lake for the 1st night but was thinking of camping outside the park . I think Marion Lake would be too far the 1st day.

I like the phillips pass trailhead better...your up higher . See more. Anyway I've camped where moose creek meets the main trail ..not a bad spot. Also Moose lk area is nice. Easily go from Moose lk north to where it meets the Game crk trail...then can hook back via trail to Marion lk... Not as many people either...

finished the hike. We ended up going on the Coal Creek trail. That was very difficult. Basically you ascend up Coal Creek only to descend down to the same altitude as when you started to get to Moose Meadows. We missed the sign for the TCT and had to backtrack. Then you ascend again to reach the park. All in all I think it is about 3300 ft of elevation. Not the smartest way to start a hike when you have just arrived from the East Coast! It was beautiful however. And the rest of the hike on the TCT was spectacular! I did not think I was going to make it to the 2nd day! I kept having to stop to get my heart rate down out of the 200s!
When one takes this hike, some words of advice.
1. Take the bridge across Coal Creek at the trailhead. There is a trail that follows the creek on the west side. It is difficult to find a good crossing spot.
2. There are multiple creek crossings especially Mesquite and Moose Creeks. Have appropriate footwear to cross.
3. Don't miss the sign for the Teton Crest. It is small and the trail is hard to make out.

Mesquite CreekIMG_8472.JPGIMG_8475.JPGOur favorite sign of the whole hike!

IMG_8461.JPGFollowing the Mesquite.
20190822_125630.jpgDid a lot of this.

Attachments

• IMG_8473.JPG
    IMG_8473.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 13
Back