Teton Crest Questions

wabenho

So, I was fortunate on opening day and grabbed some of the online Teton Crest permits for late August. The permits I have reserved are:
Granite Upper
Alaska Basin (I know that a permit is not needed, but helps give an idea of my plan)
Cascade South Fork
Paintbrush Upper

I have studied the threads on this topic from prior years and I feel I have already picked up some great tips from many of you. Thank you! I do feel that I have a couple of unique questions and I would love to hear what some of the experts at BCP have to say.

My plan is to spot a car at String Lake TH then hitchhike/bike/shuttle back to Teton Village prior to the hike. I would like to begin via Granite Canyon but may switch to taking the tram.

My first choice for camp 1 was Marion Lake. I settled for Granite Upper. Would it be worth trying to switch to Marion when I pick up my permits? I plan to pick them up the morning prior to the first day of my hike.

I have heard rumors of a small stream along Death Canyon Shelf that runs in a loop and then empties into a rock. Would anyone like to share the location of that spot? @Chuck the Mauler? Anyone? PM me if you prefer.

For camp 2 in Alaska Basin, I’m eyeing the area near the Basin Lakes. Anyone care to share an exact location of a primo spot? @HomerJ? Your spot from August 2017 looks sweet. Anyone have info that would cause me to switch my plan to Sunset Lake?

I have heard from several sources that the camps near the upper end of Cascade South Fork are the best, mostly due to the views. The camps near the bottom end of the zone help manage my daily mileage more evenly. Does the scenery from the upper end of the zone justify a longer hike the next day? Especially considering that I would be going over Paintbrush Divide later in the afternoon that next day (lightning)?

What are your good spots for the Upper Paintbrush zone? From looking at the maps, I’m thinking the area near the outlet of the unnamed lake that sits on the south side of the trail, to the southwest of Holly Lake (description too confusing? – 43.7848, -110.7993). Would it be worth it to try to switch my Upper Paintbrush permit for Holly Lake?

Thanks in advance! I hope you all are enjoying summer trip planning as much as I am.

I have heard rumors of a small stream along Death Canyon Shelf that runs in a loop and then empties into a rock. Would anyone like to share the location of that spot? @Chuck the Mauler? Anyone? PM me if you prefer.

There are a hand full of small streams along the Death Shelf, there was also a small stream a little bit down Fox Creek pass

For camp 2 in Alaska Basin, I’m eyeing the area near the Basin Lakes. Anyone care to share an exact location of a primo spot? @HomerJ? Your spot from August 2017 looks sweet. Anyone have info that would cause me to switch my plan to Sunset Lake?

There are many, many great spots in Alaska Basin. I haven't been by Sunset lake so I can't chime in on it.

I hope you have a great time. I’ve hiked the Teton Crest a few times. That same route, Granite to Paintbrush, usually I made a loop, with one night along the front. Did walk-in permits every time.

1) I had a tough hitch from String to Granite. Took 3hrs to get someone to pick me up. That’s why I went to a loop the next time. Probably it was my looks, so you’ll likely do better.

2) It would be nice if you could score a site at Marion. Upper Granite is buried in the trees.

3) Hard for me to remember where exactly that stream you mention is. Maybe a little before the group site? Across the trail and up slope from the first really nice site overlooking the canyon? I think there was some use trail.

4) I camped by Sunset every time, worked a little better with my mileage as I also used North Fork Cascade.

5) The upper sites in South Fork Cascade do have nice views. You might consider North Fork for an earlier climb of the pass.

6) Have stayed at both Holly and lower Paintbrush. At Holly there are three sites that are quite close to each other. I had a nice spot down lower. It was in trees but with the slope there was a nice view down canyon.

9A81F4A2-F9E2-4769-B702-10B62FF37EA6.jpeg
Marion Lake, the sites are in the trees to the left, back a little away from the shore

EBA26F02-81E1-4E5D-A990-F828B4AD2C9A.jpeg
near Sunset Lake

2EAF1C73-9D2B-444C-9A2E-AA0A28737F41.jpeg
Holly Lake

There are a hand full of small streams along the Death Shelf, there was also a small stream a little bit down Fox Creek pass

There are many, many great spots in Alaska Basin. I haven't been by Sunset lake so I can't chime in on it.
Thanks!

I hope you have a great time. I’ve hiked the Teton Crest a few times. That same route, Granite to Paintbrush, usually I made a loop, with one night along the front. Did walk-in permits every time.

1) I had a tough hitch from String to Granite. Took 3hrs to get someone to pick me up. That’s why I went to a loop the next time. Probably it was my looks, so you’ll likely do better.

2) It would be nice if you could score a site at Marion. Upper Granite is buried in the trees.

3) Hard for me to remember where exactly that stream you mention is. Maybe a little before the group site? Across the trail and up slope from the first really nice site overlooking the canyon? I think there was some use trail.

4) I camped by Sunset every time, worked a little better with my mileage as I also used North Fork Cascade.

5) The upper sites in South Fork Cascade do have nice views. You might consider North Fork for an earlier climb of the pass.

6) Have stayed at both Holly and lower Paintbrush. At Holly there are three sites that are quite close to each other. I had a nice spot down lower. It was in trees but with the slope there was a nice view down canyon.

This is some great info. Thank you!

A night along the front sounds interesting. Like Bradley or Taggart? I'll have to look into that. I'm also interested in a bike option that might be fun. I just need to figure out a storage or maybe rental option.

Now I'm considering switching to Marion, Sunset, North Fork Cascade, and Holly or Lower Paintbrush. It'ts nice to know that I have some spots reserved so I can plan the trip and then just adapt to whatever pans out at the Ranger's desk prior to the trip.

Thanks again!

While I'm considering switching most or all of my sites, does anyone have thoughts on what zones would be involved with the "perfect" TCT route?

While I'm considering switching most or all of my sites, does anyone have thoughts on what zones would be involved with the "perfect" TCT route?
I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow. Tons of great options most don't know about both outside and inside the park along the Crest Trail.

Dreamer,

I'm sorry about that rough hitch. That never happened to me when I did it pretty regularly here; but after a bit over 3 hours I all but collapsed on the side of HWY 50 in Coaldale, CO with insane heat after coming out of the Sangres in the mid 90s. Finally got a ride ride into the Springs and drank a six pack at Happy Hour. Thanks for your fabulous photography Dreamer.

Wabenho,

Both these folks gave you great input and Chuck's will also be priceless. Shhhhhh.

I have been to the Basin several times and came to like Mirror Lake. I know lots of folks think Sunset Lake is simply incredible, and it was for me one night in '76. Because of its notoriety I think closer quarter camping with others can arise at Sunset before Mirror but there are a few lovely sites a short walk from Mirror. There are rocky terraces with beautiful wildflower laced streams, sheltered meadowlettes, all kinds of wonderful places to spend your night in the Basin.

If you camp high in the Southfork the side hike to Avalanche Divide is pretty darn awesome. I would definitely try and get Holly Lake when you get here. Chcuk is gonna dial you in south of the Basin so...have a great hike! If I can help you out when you're here I will but don't know my own plans at this juncture.

Dreamer,

I'm sorry about that rough hitch. That never happened to me when I did it pretty regularly here; but after a bit over 3 hours I all but collapsed on the side of HWY 50 in Coaldale, CO with insane heat after coming out of the Sangres in the mid 90s. Finally got a ride ride into the Springs and drank a six pack at Happy Hour. Thanks for your fabulous photography Dreamer.

Wabenho,

Both these folks gave you great input and Chuck's will also be priceless. Shhhhhh.

I have been to the Basin several times and came to like Mirror Lake. I know lots of folks think Sunset Lake is simply incredible, and it was for me one night in '76. Because of its notoriety I think closer quarter camping with others can arise at Sunset before Mirror but there are a few lovely sites a short walk from Mirror. There are rocky terraces with beautiful wildflower laced streams, sheltered meadowlettes, all kinds of wonderful places to spend your night in the Basin.

If you camp high in the Southfork the side hike to Avalanche Divide is pretty darn awesome. I would definitely try and get Holly Lake when you get here. Chcuk is gonna dial you in south of the Basin so...have a great hike! If I can help you out when you're here I will but don't know my own plans at this juncture.

Thank you!

I will definitely look into the Mirror Lake area and side hike to Avalanche Divide.