Tent specs

What weight do you all try to keep your tents under or around?

I'm looking for a tent I could get two people in, maybe packs and boots as well.

There are so many options.

If you've used something like I mentioned in the past, what was it and would you recommend it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There are many, many good tents that could satisfy those criteria, as you said. A good weight for a backpacking tent is 4ish pounds and under, in my opinion. Unless you're trying to go ultralight. It also depends partly on how much you're willing to spend. To get sub-4 pounds, you'll have to spend at least $250-300 usually. There are probably exceptions.

I have an REI Passage 2 and a TarpTent Stratospire 2. I'd recommend both for different reasons.

The Passage is a little over 5 pounds, so it's on the heavy side, but it's a great tent at a great price. Depends on how tall you are, but there is some space for packs inside, and the vestibules are great.

The Stratospire is 2.5ish pounds, but the pitch is a little trickier since it's not freestanding. I love it for mountain backpacking. Tons of space inside, made in California, very light for a double-walled tent, and great ventilation. Huge vestibules for all your gear too. Haven't tried pitching it on sand yet, though.

TarpTent makes other really good 2p tents too, like the Double Rainbow.

Lots on here like Big Agnes tents. The Copper Spur UL 2 is very popular and pretty light. The Fly Creek is pretty popular as well. They have some very lightweight versions of it.

You could spend days researching tents. I did before I ended up buying my Stratospire. There are lots of big brands and lots of small brands, and so many make good products. It's hard to go wrong.

Let me know if you have any questions about the two I have!

If you're backpacking 3 lbs is pretty easy to do and even than that is overkill in most circumstances except in specific conditions (we bought a tarptent cloudburst 3 for backpacking with our infant/toddler daughter because we needed something fully enclosed...otherwise I usually take nothing at all or MLD duomid). Floorless pyramid shelters are where it's at for weight/space/cost ratio. Generally a lot more space than smaller tents and a lot less weight and cost. Mountain Laurel Designs, Black Diamond, and Seek Outside have good options. If you're really set on freestanding or semi-freestanding, big agnes, tarptent, and sierra designs are good places to start.

My girlfriend and I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3. Doesn't weigh very much and we have plenty of room inside. Freestanding and easy/quick to setup. I would highly recommend it.

Another Copper Spur fan here, though the 1-man. Thing weighs about as much as a handful of ants.

North Face Talus 2 for when I need some room. Good tent but more of a 'normal' weighing item at around 5 pounds. Real good value for a tent actually.

If you want two people and two packs and your boots with you, then I'd suggest a tent with two doors and two vestibules.
I did a week in the Uintas and shared a tent with my brother, we used my Copper Spur UL2 and it worked great. We didn't store our packs under the vestibules, but they would have fit if we wanted them by us. (We hung them on nearby trees)

Another vote for the Copper Spur here. The UL2 is only slightly heavier than the 1-person and it has two doors and two vestibules. Someone had posted a 40% off code for Big Agnes on this forum at one time. Don't know if it's still good.

Another vote for the Copper Spur here. The UL2 is only slightly heavier than the 1-person and it has two doors and two vestibules. Someone had posted a 40% off code for Big Agnes on this forum at one time. Don't know if it's still good.
Searched for that thread, but couldn't find it. If you happen to come across it, will you shoot me the link?

Anyone tried the Sierra Designs High Route 1FL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a REI Quarterdome 3, weighs right about 4 pounds and is very spacious for 2 people.

FYI, REI usually runs a spring sale (March?) where you get 20% off. They sell the Copperspur and obviously the Quarterdome.

I have a REI Quarterdome 3, weighs right about 4 pounds and is very spacious for 2 people.

FYI, REI usually runs a spring sale (March?) where you get 20% off. They sell the Copperspur and obviously the Quarterdome.
I have been shopping for a tent and was leaning towards an REI one, I'll have to look into a possible sale coming up.

Tarptent Rainbow......Fits me with pack. Double will fit two people and packs...... well made, light weight......

I was at TarpTent.com today. Henry has a new tent called the Bowfin 1 coming out any day now. A double wall freestanding double doors and vestibules based loosely on the Rainbow. Very tempting.
Wayne

I don't get why tents are made to need a foot print, it makes no sense to me. Why not just build them with a suitable tub pan vinyl floor? I guess that's to market to the ultra light packers?

I don't get why tents are made to need a foot print, it makes no sense to me. Why not just build them with a suitable tub pan vinyl floor? I guess that's to market to the ultra light packers?

Yeah, it's probably a weight thing. You can pitch all the above-listed tents in most places without a footprint though. Just watch out for sharp rocks and sticks and stuff.

I was tent shopping last spring. I had Big Agnes and MSR tents in front of me. The MSR tents can be set up with the fly only without needing to buy the expensive heavy footprint. I bought the Hubba Hubba and am pleased with it. I may buy a TarpTent just for me one of these days. They work just fine in fly only mode.
Wayne