Tenkara Fishing

seems like pretty much every lake is stocked with tigers now, is that true? is it to control the brookies or something?

Yes, a lot of the lakes in the uintas are now being stocked with tiger trout. They do help control the brookies and since they are sterile they grow very rapidly.

As for not being able to detect strikes when nymphing, try using a strike indicator. I use ones made of bright colored yarn but there are lots of kinds. You will be able to see/detect a lot more strikes.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yes, a lot of the lakes in the uintas are now being stocked with tiger trout. They do help control the brookies and since they are sterile they grow very rapidly.

As for not being able to detect strikes when nymphing, try using a strike indicator. I use ones made of bright colored yarn but there are lots of kinds. You will be able to see/detect a lot more strikes.

yeah, that's what i've used the dry fly for in the past, basically an indicator - lots of guys use two separate colors of hi-vis level lines on tenkaras to help them spot strikes too. i'll have to try and mess around with other setups. also, it's tough to put a splitshot on a tenkara setup, since the weight is hard on the rod, the tip would likely break pretty easily is my guess. seems like often times it's hard to get the nymph to proper depth very easily with it. and line management definitely tough with a nymphing rig with a splitshot and strike indicator on a tenkara.

of course, on a normal fly rod - nymphing setups with strike indicators are no problem. just not sure they are very ideal for the wimpy tenkaras.

any tips for throwing nymphs without any additional weight? think it's reasonable on the tenkara? should a nymph sink fast enough on it's own? that was my biggest problem fishing those streams in titcomb basin last week i mentioned on facebook - couldn't get the flies to sink in the faster moving water, and I didn't have any splitshots.

what about scuds, you think a scud will sink fast enough on it's own on a tenkara? i've mostly thrown dries with it.

I'm really curious where you caught rainbows though. I've never seen a bow at high elevation in the Uintas. Brookies, cutts, tigers, grayling and that's about it.

i thought i might've had a better photo of this but hadn't checked - lindsey was on the camera. i think this is the photo of the rainbow from red castle, but of course, the photo isn't the best, since i'm holding it like an idiot. mostly tigers and a few small brookies.

Rainbow-1.jpg

yeah, that's what i've used the dry fly for in the past, basically an indicator - lots of guys use two separate colors of hi-vis level lines on tenkaras to help them spot strikes too. i'll have to try and mess around with other setups. also, it's tough to put a splitshot on a tenkara setup, since the weight is hard on the rod, the tip would likely break pretty easily is my guess. seems like often times it's hard to get the nymph to proper depth very easily with it. and line management definitely tough with a nymphing rig with a splitshot and strike indicator on a tenkara.

of course, on a normal fly rod - nymphing setups with strike indicators are no problem. just not sure they are very ideal for the wimpy tenkaras.

any tips for throwing nymphs without any additional weight? think it's reasonable on the tenkara? should a nymph sink fast enough on it's own? that was my biggest problem fishing those streams in titcomb basin last week i mentioned on facebook - couldn't get the flies to sink in the faster moving water, and I didn't have any splitshots.

what about scuds, you think a scud will sink fast enough on it's own on a tenkara? i've mostly thrown dries with it.

The tenkara rod is definitely a different animal than a traditional fly rod because of the action of the rod. You should be able to find a lightweight indicator or, like you mentioned, use a dry fly. For getting weightless flies to sink in stillwater I use a sinking line of 5-7ft between my line and the leader. Probably wouldn't work on a tenkara setup though because it's heavy. I usually use split shot on faster moving water. Bead head flies will also sink faster than a non weighted fly and since the weight is on the fly it is less cumbersome. Most bead heads are copper but they do make tungsten bead heads also which are a little heavier than the brass. Google "Czech nymphing" and look at some of the techniques involved with it. They should work well adapting them to tenkara. As for scuds, they sink fairly well unweighted because of the plastic "shell" on them but I prefer mine weighted unless I'm fishing them behind split shot or another weighted fly. This last trip into the winds i had some big orange scuds that i was using and they weren't getting down as quick as i wanted so i put a split shot right onto the head of the fly and it worked great. I also usually apply "sinkit" gel to my flies I want to get down quicker. It works on line as well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

After much uncertainty about the Tenkara, I'm happy to report that I had a killer weekend with it up at Priord Lake and I am 100% sold. Granted, it won't always be the right tool for the job, but when it is, it is some of the funnest fishing I've ever done. I was catching fish after fish at Priord and I got to watch each one of them swim up and take it. And the act of catching a fish with nothing between you but line is awesome. It feels very primitive and very intimate with the fish. Sounds crazy and it's hard to describe. Either way, I'm sold on the Tenkara now.

My Tenkara Rod is on its way! I don't get to excited about fishing, but for some reason im stoked to try this system out!