Tarptent Notch LI

I didn't know they had moved into Dyneema. Looks like a nice tent!
Still can't convince myself to pay that much for things made with that material though.

I didn't know they had moved into Dyneema. Looks like a nice tent!
Still can't convince myself to pay that much for things made with that material though.

I’m not familiar with Dyneema. What’s the feeling on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dyneema is super strong and lightweight and waterproof, basically it is kevlar fibers sandwiched in a light weight material. My understanding is the outside material (the "bread" in the sandwich) doesn't take well to abrasion, but if you are a gram weeny, then the drawbacks might be worth it. Personally, I can't imagine spending an extra $300 to shave 7oz off my tent weight.

You summed up my thoughts perfectly, @wsp_scott. Too expensive and not durable enough for the weight savings. Maybe if it only added 10-15% onto the cost, I'd be more interested.

How bomber would you expect a tarp held up by hiking poles to be though? Isn't the entire design focused on weight savings above all else?

How bomber would you expect a tarp held up by hiking poles to be though? Isn't the entire design focused on weight savings above all else?

It has the 1oz floor which is pretty abrasion resistant so as long as you aren't completely careless. The rest of the tent should be plenty strong. Tarptent makes great shelters. If I didn't already own a notch I'd be very tempted but I can't justify it at this point in life.

My tent is held up by trekking poles and has held up great in strong rain and high wind. Even in sand. It's not as simple as pitching a freestanding tent, but I really like it.

Good post and timely, Perry. I am picking out a new tent to order. After rejecting a Big Agnes ultralight tent that was too much trouble to set up I am close to pulling the trigger on a Tarptent. Now I will consider this one also.

Not worth it. No floor and open ended. Marginal protection at best.

I’m not familiar with Dyneema. What’s the feeling on it?

Dyneema is what Zpacks use. Ultralight and some people swear by it and will pay the extra money for long distance hikes. But from online reviews and some strangers I talked to, they admit to only getting or expecting a couple uses out if it.

I am pretty rough with my gear, so it wouldn't work for me. To each his own though!

I do love my tarptent Bowfin though :)

If I may offer a differing perspective... Disclaimer -i am a thru hiker type, so take it FWIW.

I recently switched to a cuben shelter after years of opposition. I did it not for the weight savings, but for the performance. Sdilnylon tends to stretch when it gets cold and wet, and also mists thru in heavy rains. I got sick of my shelter material just not performing well in bad weather. Given how much I camp in crap weather, it just makes sense.

Also, a couple thru hikes may not sound likke much, but that's probably 300 nights or so... or a decade at 30 nights/year. It's not for everyone, but just something to think about.

If I may offer a differing perspective... Disclaimer -i am a thru hiker type, so take it FWIW.

I recently switched to a cuben shelter after years of opposition. I did it not for the weight savings, but for the performance. Sdilnylon tends to stretch when it gets cold and wet, and also mists thru in heavy rains. I got sick of my shelter material just not performing well in bad weather. Given how much I camp in crap weather, it just makes sense.

Also, a couple thru hikes may not sound likke much, but that's probably 300 nights or so... or a decade at 30 nights/year. It's not for everyone, but just something to think about.

Is Dyneema more water resistant than silnylon?

Is Dyneema more water resistant than silnylon?

Yep. Dyneema/Cuben is 100% waterproof, no ifs, and, or buts. Silnylon does tend to wet thru in heavy rain. Also because it doesn't stretch, dyneema is less prone to flapping in high wind.

Yep. Dyneema/Cuben is 100% waterproof, no ifs, and, or buts. Silnylon does tend to wet thru in heavy rain. Also because it doesn't stretch, dyneema is less prone to flapping in high wind.

This. If you're carful with it these shelters will last far longer than most of us will need. Really the largest drawback for Dyneema/Cuben is the price.

Silnylon is a great material with the one drawback that it absorbs water and stretches when it does. That means having to tighten down your shelter as it happens to keep it tight and weather worthy.

I haven't had many problems with it but I also don't usually camp in extremely damp environments.

Last edited:
Cuben/Dyneema is pretty awesome. The price difference is staggering though. Case in point- These two tents are exactly the same, except one is made of silnylon, and the other is cuben. (alright, the cuben one also has a few more guyline points)

Black Diamond Mega Light $289

HMG 4 Pyramid Tent $865

I got the BD tent for $140, and really love it. I've sat through some pretty good storms in it. I would have to have a seriously long trip planned, ie a through hike to splurge the $800+ on a tent.

Cuben/Dyneema is pretty awesome. The price difference is staggering though. Case in point- These two tents are exactly the same, except one is made of silnylon, and the other is cuben. (alright, the cuben one also has a few more guyline points)

Black Diamond Mega Light $289

HMG 4 Pyramid Tent $865

I got the BD tent for $140, and really love it. I've sat through some pretty good storms in it. I would have to have a seriously long trip planned, ie a through hike to splurge the $800+ on a tent.

Holy Cow! That's a huge difference.

When it comes to thru-hiking, every ounce adds up to pounds with each and every step, day after day, resulting in more calories burned, more energy exerted, and more stress on the knees, feet, and body, and so on. It makes all the sense in the world for thru-hikers looking to be as physically efficient as possible to go with Dyneema/Cuben Fiber gear. It also makes sense for even the weekend warrior types, who can afford it, to lighten their packs with such materials, should they desire to. I'm more of a weekend warrior type right now myself, but definitely find myself more comfortable on the trail and more eager to get out since I've significantly lightened my pack over the years. But with already having a SilNylon Notch which is still one of the lightest double wall solo shelters out there, I don't think it makes any financial sense for me to upgrade to this new version at about twice the cost just to save 7 more ounces or so.

I do have to ask though, for those who have taken shelter under Cuben Fiber/Dyneema fabric, is there any kind of greenhouse warming effect with them if under direct sunlight? I ask because the material looks a bit transparent.