Swapping insoles

Shirt357

I love my Salomon hiking boots but I think the insoles are toast and I can feel it alot more after a day of hiking. What insoles have you had good luck in swapping into your hiking boots?

Superfeet....buy direct online
Have you tried their new trailblazer ones? I was looking between though and I think the green ones. Have heard the trailblazer ones can make your toe box a bit tight though.

Have you tried their new trailblazer ones? I was looking between though and I think the green ones. Have heard the trailblazer ones can make your toe box a bit tight though.
Nope use red and green. Different colors do make the inside space different ... So you adjust to your need. They are also stiff. .. which is what you want not the gel "Dr" ones

I'm looking at these right now.
I wonder if they would be helpful for Achilles Tendonitis. I haven't found a good insole yet and most uphill hikes are pretty painful :confused:
Maybe these will make a difference

We both use them. Rick uses the green, I use the blue. Excellent insoles.

what does the color indicate? I haven't delved into the website too much yet, but definitely will do so to figure out the best option for my foot situation

The Green Superfeet delivers HIGH ARCH support, which he needs. For running he now uses the "RUN COMFORT".
Blue is medium Arch support and the insole is thinner, see also https://arborexplorer.com/superfeet-green-vs-blue/

There are many versions!:rolleyes:

The Green Superfeet delivers HIGH ARCH support, which he needs. For running he now uses the "RUN COMFORT".
Blue is medium Arch support and the insole is thinner, see also https://arborexplorer.com/superfeet-green-vs-blue/

There are many versions!:rolleyes:

I also saw they have a trailblazer women's version which is for hiking.

thanks for the link, great article that points out the differences. Too bad there is no women's specific version with the green and blue. I guess right now it's just trial and error or test and try, lol.

Last edited:
Take your boots to the store and try the various colors till you find what works for the combination of your feet and the particular boot. I wear the green ones with most of my shoes (including my basketball shoes), but for my Vasque Breeze boots I need something to fill a little more volume and use the orange ones.

Take your boots to the store and try the various colors till you find what works for the combination of your feet and the particular boot. I wear the green ones with most of my shoes (including my basketball shoes), but for my Vasque Breeze boots I need something to fill a little more volume and use the orange ones.

great idea, I have several pairs of trail runners I hike with so I can check which ones fit the soles

I also saw they have a trailblazer women's version which is for hiking. I usually do hike a lot, so maybe this is the one to focus on?

Yes, I think so. Noticed those on-line some weeks back and I have been thinking I should try those out too. They get awesome reviews, the first couple reviews are from women with Achilles tendonitis! I usually have to slightly cut my blue ones out front (my shoe size is 7, but my Superfeet "C" insole is 6.5-8). Just use the old standard shoe insole to trace, cut Superfeet if needed. They have free shipping at $50, the insoles are $49.95. I will search, maybe some store has a Laborday sale with discounts. Superfeet only has sales twice per year supposedly.

@texasbb has a valid point - better if you can try out in the store, especially works well if the Superfeet don't need to be cut out front.

Yes, I think so. Noticed those on-line some weeks back and I have been thinking I should try those out too. They get awesome reviews, the first couple reviews are from women with Achilles tendonitis! I usually have to slightly cut my blue ones out front (my shoe size is 7, but my Superfeet "C" insole is 6.5-8). Just use the old standard shoe insole to trace, cut Superfeet if needed. They have free shipping at $50, the insoles are $49.95. I will search, maybe some store has a Laborday sale with discounts. Superfeet only has sales twice per year supposedly.

@texasbb has a valid point - better if you can try out in the store, especially works well if the Superfeet doesn't need to be cut out front.

St. George has a few stores that carry the Superfeet including The Desert Rat. That's where I often buy my shoes anyway and it's nice to hang out for some talk story.
I'm back at school anyway 4 days a week so I can just stop by. This will save me the shipping costs and I can get the right pair of insoles right away.
@texasbb made a good point with going to a local store and try it out.

I ended up going with the blue ones for my Salomons. I was tempted to go with the trailblazers but they seemed to get a bit tight in the toe box for me. I just got back from an overnight and summit climb with the blue and have to say a huge improvement for my feet from the insoles that came with the boots. Feet were not sore at all and all the scrambling, bouldering, and climbing did not bother my feet at all.

@Yvonne - did you get any Superfeet yet? I just got a new pair of blue, they are awesome, I'm sticking with blue (medium arch & medium volume in the boot). I tried some "Berry Superfeet" (medium arch / high volume, high impact/ slimmer heel & arch for women), but they didn't feel right at all in my boot, it only took 6 steps to know. But you were looking for a women specific version, so you might like the "berry", if they don't have the women trailblazer in your local store.

@Yvonne - did you get any Superfeet yet? I just got a new pair of blue, they are awesome, I'm sticking with blue (medium arch & medium volume in the boot). I tried some "Berry Superfeet" (medium arch / high volume, high impact/ slimmer heel & arch for women), but they didn't feel right at all in my boot, it only took 6 steps to know. But you were looking for a women specific version, so you might like the "berry", if they don't have the women trailblazer in your local store.

not yet as I'm waiting for two different pairs of trail runners. One with Goretex for winter hikes, one without.
Since I'm still not allowed to hike it's not a big deal.
I'll get my new shoes soon and they will hopefully also help with my problem ankles. Then I can go to my local store and test the Superfeet in them.
I'll see which one will work best for me.

At least I upgraded from a boot to a specific ankle brace right now, lol. And it seems I need to wear one for at least a year on all high impact activities. I was surprised how expensive these ankle braces are. But whatever helps I'll do it. So sick of sitting around and not getting out

Superfeet are great. Used them for many years. But, they are expensive and there are good alternatives. Oboz and Timberland produce quality inserts.

Superfeet are great. Used them for many years. But, they are expensive and there are good alternatives. Oboz and Timberland produce quality inserts.

May look into those for my winter boots then.

But they last a long time... Still on mine after 9 years and they are not broken down

I finally got mine today. I ended up with the women's specific trailblazer's. I tried the regular trailblazer and the blue and berry, but the trailblazers felt the most comfortable for me.
Can't wait to go on walks soon and hopefully on hikes soon after so I can test them out.