Surviving a Flash Flood in Zion

Geesh. What nightmares are made of. I hope I never rap in in a rain storm.

Crazy awesome and I'm glad nobody got hurt but...wow! a simple two part question...was there a "chance" of showers anywhere in the region that day? And if yes, WHY DID THEY DESCEND?!?!?!?

Still, awesome footage from the inside of a flash flood and I am so glad they were all OKAY.

Salud

From his write up of the trip.
We wake up early and check the weather report. It warns of a strong potential for rain. Knowing that the day could be a dangerous one for canyoneering, we decide to proceed anyway. Mistake number one.

I'm guessing "strong potential" is greater than 40%...

States it perfectly.....underestimated nature. Wherever, whenever you cannot let you guard down and 'underestimate' potential dangers. Nature will bite you every time. Just because you may not have had consequences before doesn't mean things won't happen..... law of averages always kicks in. Luckily it was a happy ending.

All adventurers must establish a set of trigger points that stop or alter a trip in the planning phase of the trip. Observing the wakening of waterfalls in Zion is always my Plan B if ever Plan A, Canyoneering, is ruined due to a chance of rain. Great footage!

Trigger points are great during your trip. I've bailed on some because mine were met. Their biggest trigger point, if you want to call it that, was what he said 'We wake up early and check the weather report. It warns of a strong potential for rain.' Ignoring that could have been fatal....they were VERY VERY lucky.

Is it worth it?

Gesendet von meinem ViperXed HOX+ mit Tapatalk 4

Trigger points are great during your trip. I've bailed on some because mine were met. Their biggest trigger point, if you want to call it that, was what he said 'We wake up early and check the weather report. It warns of a strong potential for rain.' Ignoring that could have been fatal....they were VERY VERY lucky.

for me it would have been a definitely no go!!
No canyon is worth the risk to get killed in it. There is always another chance.

My comfort zone for canyons - even canyon hikes end with 30% chance of storms. Past experiences have shown that I somehow seen to attract storms and often got hammered with only 20% :eek:

My comfort zone for canyons - even canyon hikes end with 30% chance of storms. Past experiences have shown that I somehow seen to attract storms and often got hammered with only 20% :eek:

Don't think of it as a 20 or 30% chance of storms. Think of it as 20 or 30% of the forecast area will receive rain (or snow or what have you). This is a critical distinction when considering canyon travel as it doesn't have to be storming where you are to be on the bad side of a flood.

Don't think of it as a 20 or 30% chance of storms. Think of it as 20 or 30% of the forecast area will receive rain (or snow or what have you). This is a critical distinction when considering canyon travel as it doesn't have to be storming where you are to be on the bad side of a flood.

Good point. For most outdoor activities(including climbing) 30% is when I start to follow the weather BUT in canyons obviously a different. Since I am a newbie to canyoneering I'm not certain what numbers work but 30% seems high.

Yes! My friends always say that it's 70% it won't rain, but I have to correct them the forecast is that 30% of the forecast area will see rain. This is even more important in canyon country.

When I was in Capitol Reef this August the forecast each day was 20-30% chance of thunderstorms. The actual weather was thunderstorms every single day. I wouldn't be near any slot canyon if the forecast was 20% or more chance of showers within 30 miles.

The guy who filmed the flood footage made a longer, prettier Zion video. Sadly it was funded by a Kickstarter he did with at least a couple of very illegal things as rewards such as selling off vials of sand taken from Zion canyons and guiding. :facepalm: I know that got back to the NPS but I haven't heard if he got busted or what.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/357708015/rock-of-refuge-a-year-in-zion-national-park

upload_2014-12-8_15-29-25.png

Trailer for those not wanting to spend 40 minutes: