Album Sunsets

Wow @Titans - you must have been thrilled to see these. I especially love the one with all the horizontal layers. Stunning!

A few days ago, after work, I did a few nice trail walks and went into the Kaʻu desert in the backcountry of Hawaiʻi Volcanoes NP. I was scouting some locations for future night sky photography.
The whole trail was across lava, with a few black ahu (cairns) now and then. Back after dark, it was fun to navigate with the stars' help, as no trail was visible at all. I was amazed that I basically walked parallel to the trail and only ventured off a few times for a few hundred feet.

kaʻu%20sunset-XL.jpg

kau%20sunset%202-XL.jpg

Rolled out to a local area with my buddy last friday to explore a bit with the cameras. Smoke and clouds played a big part in the evening.
Taken on my (now fixed!) TLR on Kodak Gold

I00000Dq3BH5rssU.jpg
Those old cameras are so cool. Incredible dynamic range and very evocative. Love the dabs of red paintbrush.I assume since it's Kodak you do your own developing?

Last edited:
How'd your trip go?
Good! I did not permanently lose any of these 4.
IMG_9973.jpg

And besides the other tourists, who were the real wildlife, we saw a few other characters:
Maximillian, the bull who is on the Old Faithful Lodge payroll, and certainly is unionized. He was on vacation when I was there in July, and he takes a long break between every geyser eruption.
IMG_0027.jpg

Jerylinda the marmot, a cranky, busybody of a neighbor.
RCM07557.JPG

And this squawky osprey.
RCM07586-EDIT (1).jpg

And besides the other tourists, who were the real wildlife, we saw a few other characters:
Maximillian, the bull who is on the Old Faithful Lodge payroll, and certainly is unionized. He was on vacation when I was there in July, and he takes a long break between every geyser eruption.
View attachment 134987

I think Sheila and I may have run into Maximillian, or if not him then one of his close cousins. We had just finished breakfast at the Old Faithful Inn and decided to walk down to the general store located down below the inn. There was a bull bison grazing, with its back to us, next to the stream that runs between the two buildings. As we walked on the sidewalk, getting to the point where we would be closest to the bison, a ranger called out and asked us to walk to the road instead of continuing along the sidewalk. Now we were probably going to pass within 15 to 20 yards from the bison, but there was a solid lodgepole pine guardrail running next to the walkway between it and us. So I started to think to myself, "They are willing to pay a ranger to follow a bison around the Old Faithful area instead of paying one to be in the backcountry to remove downfall from a trail - particularly the trail between Grebe and Wolf Lakes?"

Old_Faithful_Bison.jpg

We had day hiked between Grebe and Wolf a couple of days previously, and there was quite a bit of downfall between the two lakes, a couple of which were to high to get over, yet to low to crawl under. I think I'd rather have backcountry work done than front country nonsense. :scatman:

03.JPG
Trail crew!

Last edited:
We had day hiked between Grebe and Wolf a couple of days previously, and there was quite a bit of downfall between the two lakes, a couple of which were to high to get over, yet to low to crawl under. I think I'd rather have backcountry work done than front country nonsense. :scatman:

Trail crew!

All good celebrities and mascots have their own handlers and security details these days. :rolleyes:

My son lately has had an interest in photography and "not difficult" hiking. So we upgraded his footwear from converse, and then drove up for some short hikes on Friday.
We had good luck with both some outrageous maples, and some good clouds.

As happens, the best clouds were opposite the scenery.
Sept 2024-07861.jpg

Sept 2024-07810.jpg

Some good clouds moved in.
Sept 2024-07777.jpg

A little earlier.
Sept 2024-07658.jpgSept 2024-07681.jpg

Back