Summer Solstice on Causey Reservoir

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Took the kayak out and dragged a friend along for a relaxing float on Causey for the Summer Solstice.

Stillwater Sunset by ashergrey, on Flickr

Like Pineview, Ogdenites tend to treat Causey like a bathtub. Unlike Pineview, there are no ski boats to churn up the channels. Instead, it's a place of paddles, fishing lures and trolling motors.

_MG_4120.jpg

We put on late in the afternoon under comfortably warm sunlight.

_MG_4134.jpg

Winds were calm. Our paddles gurgled against little ripples.

_MG_4005.jpg

Sliding into the channel of the south fork, our boats were dwarfed by big rock walls and pines.

_MG_4131.jpg

Silvery little fish were jumping everywhere. Schools of them leapt in celebratory parades alongside our hulls.

_MG_4079.jpg

We went up the left hand fork, through a logjam to the free-running waters of its tributary creek.

_MG_4093.jpg

I'd hoped to hike a ways up the creek to some waterfall's I've heard exist up there. It turned out to be a major bushwhack though, so we only proceeded a fraction of a mile up the stream bed before returning.

_MG_4058.jpg

This moose carcass rotted next to the waterway. A good reminder that even water that looks clean and untainted probably isn't.

_MG_4029.jpg

The long-lasting summer sun took its time in setting.

_MG_4163.jpg

We paddled back into its blinding light.

Paddling into Sunset by ashergrey, on Flickr

It's beautiful flatwater float, if you can look past the occasional bobbing beer can.

_MG_4150.jpg

[PARSEHTML]<iframe src="http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3847512/GPS/Causey.kml" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="800" height="800"></iframe><br><br>[/PARSEHTML]
Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Never heard of this place before - love the pines & rock cliffs.

Once long time ago when I was a little girl and my dad had a canoe we paddled back in there and camped. I found some moose teeth. Still have them. Nice report.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Way to be brave and bring the big camera out! :)

I had it mostly stuffed in a dry bag that was clipped to the boat frame. On flat water I'm not usually that worried about it. Moving water is another matter entirely.

I am so jealous. I want a kayak again. I have been looking on craig's list and dreaming a bit, but I want to buy a pair of them and am not quite ready to drop that type of cash just now. Maybe Santa can fit a couple of 17 footers in his sleigh? Here's hoping.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
klank Desolation Wilderness - Summer Solstice 2014 Backpacking 5
The Trout Whisperer Is it summer yet in your neck of th woods? General Discussion 35
Bob Skiing Summer......... General Discussion 10
P Summer night in Yellowstone Backpacking 4
regehr flash flooding summer 2022 General Discussion 56
Rockskipper Yellowstone visitation down 34% over Memorial Day - maybe price of gas? Any predictions for the summer? General Discussion 17
Jackson A Late Summer Summit Trip Backpacking 6
TheMountainRabbit Bowen-Baker Loop (Never Summer Wilderness) - June 2020 Backpacking 1
C Dinwoody/Bonney Pass Summer Conditions Trip Planning 1
zionsky Glacier NP to Implement Ticketed Entry for Summer Season Trip Planning 29
WasatchWill A Trip to the Desert to Escape the Summer Heat Backpacking 9
beaver-one Yellowstone advice: Lamar River - Pelican Valley - Mirror Plateau loop this summer Trip Planning 6
kwc Summer Paddling in the Adirondacks On The Water 0
TheMountainRabbit Invite Never Summer Range, June 27th-29th Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Dhuff3243 Technical canyons suggestions for summer Trip Planning 0
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2019 July 17 - July 29 | Green River Lakes - Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2014 the first few days July 9 - 14 Backpacking 5
Ugly Sleeping with Pfieff, Maybird in May, or Summer -Winter Backpacking Winter Sports 7
scatman Yellowstone Lake - 2 Week Canoe Trip - Summer 2019 Trip Planning 24
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2012 trip 3 July 22 - August 8 | part two Backpacking 2
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2012 trip 3 July 22 - August 8 Backpacking 19
Dreamer Summer 2012: trip 1: a short visit to a small corner of The Great Wasted Forest of Northern Colorado Backpacking 11
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - Summer 2017 Hiking & Camping 14
muir_mountain (Updated Regularly) My Summer 2016 Backpacking Thread Backpacking 17
muir_mountain Undiscovered Wonder: Summer 2015 Backpacking 17
jkgear Table Mountain/Tetons Late Summer Trip Planning 12
Red Rock Rangers St. George summer Trip Planning 3
Nick Summer paddling suggestions Trip Planning 10
Bob Coming this Summer General Discussion 0
Vegan.Hiker Planning next summer's cross country trip... Trip Planning 22
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- September Part 2 Hiking & Camping 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- September Pt. 1 Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- The Final Tour Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 7 North End Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 6 West Side again Backpacking 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 5 on the East Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 4 North End Backpacking 6
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 3 West Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- A long weekend in SLC Backpacking 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 2- East Side Hiking & Camping 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- 7.2 Loaf Mountain Hiking & Camping 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 1 Hiking & Camping 5
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Meadow Flowers and Hazelton Peak Hiking & Camping 7
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Lookout views and fresh snow Hiking & Camping 3
TrektheWorld Anyone from the Denver area Colorado who would want to meet up this summer for a CO or UT jaunt? Meet Up (Members Only) 1
pbax Summer planning, suggestions welcomed Trip Planning 13
NAYR New Summer Gear Gear 2
Artemus Spring and Summer Runoff 2013 Trip Planning 7
Yvonne Ashdown Gorge Summer 2013 Meet Up (Members Only) 86
Deadeye008 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market General Discussion 3