Summer in the CPW- Tour 4 North End

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
After a month of patrolling my time finally came to venture to the northern end of the Cloud Peak Wilderness. While technically a part of other ranger districts, because the CPW is managed as a whole unit we wilderness rangers get to patrol up there. With only a few trailheads, most accessed by bad roads, the north end receives much less visitation and thus is much more "wilderness" than the southern end.

Day 1

One issue with patrolling the northern end is the time needed to get there. A three hour drive plus time in the office saw me at the Coffeen Park trailhead at noon. After lunch I had half a day left to patrol. My camping plans weren't solid at the time because I wasn't sure how many people I'd meet, miles I'd walk, and where nice camping would be. So I headed out on the trail to Geneva Pass, figuring I'd find something somewhere and fill my day from there. It turned out I could make it past Geneva Lake to Crystal Lake and fill the hour or so left of my day by going back and checking out the conditions by Geneva Lake.

Gorgeous country. Geneva Lake is long and narrow and Crystal above it is nestled back perfectly by a cliff.

Tour 4- North Side 001.jpg
East Fork of Big Goose Creek

Tour 4- North Side 002.jpg
Lake Geneva
Tour 4- North Side 003.jpg Tour 4- North Side 004.jpg Tour 4- North Side 005.jpg
Fishing for Brook Trout was pretty good along the shore. Lots of tree cover though which was a pain with the fly rod.

Tour 4- North Side 008.jpg
Heading up the Geneva trail
Tour 4- North Side 009.jpg
Geneva Lake below. Lots of elevation gained quick.

Day 2

On my second day out I patrolled over Geneva Pass and around the Sheepherder Basin. With Geneva Pass sitting around 10,500ft and the Sheepherder Basin just below that, it was an awesome day of trekking around at treeline. There weren't many people either, making my job and wilderness experience all the better.

Tour 4- North Side 010.jpg
Crystal Lake in the morn

Geneva Pass
Tour 4- North Side 015.jpg Tour 4- North Side 018.jpg Tour 4- North Side 019.jpg
Geneva Pass Pano
PANO_20140726_074048.jpg
Awesome smooth granite slopes above Geneva Pass. It reminded me of the sandstone country I venture through in Utah.
Tour 4- North Side 020.jpg

Robin LakeTour 4- North Side 022.jpg

Blacktooth Mountain and the cirques around it
Tour 4- North Side 024.jpg Tour 4- North Side 028.jpg

Sheepherder Basin
Tour 4- North Side 030.jpg
Sheepherder Basin Pano (Lakes Elsa, Eunice and Sheepherder visible)
PANO_20140726_100432.jpg
Rainbow Lake
Tour 4- North Side 033.jpg Tour 4- North Side 034.jpg

Lake Elsa (gorgeous, clear water [could see down 15' easily], and full of voracious brook trout)
Tour 4- North Side 035.jpg Tour 4- North Side 036.jpg Tour 4- North Side 037.jpg
PANO_20140726_121736.jpg

Cliff Lake
Tour 4- North Side 038.jpg
Afternoon light at the mountains. Blacktooth and Cloud Peak visible from Geneva Pass ish
Tour 4- North Side 039.jpg Tour 4- North Side 040.jpg
PANO_20140726_161711.jpg

Camp at Crystal Lake
Tour 4- North Side 041.jpg

Day 3

My tour had the added complication of needing to get a water sample at Emerald Lake. I could hike down the Geneva trail and back up the Edelman Trail to Emerald, or hike over Spear Peak. Guess which one I did?

Going up and over Spear was a hoot. Big views abounded and the routefinding/boulder hopping minor.

Tour 4- North Side 042.jpg Tour 4- North Side 043.jpg

Tour 4- North Side 046.jpg Tour 4- North Side 047.jpg Tour 4- North Side 049.jpg Tour 4- North Side 051.jpg Tour 4- North Side 053.jpg Tour 4- North Side 054.jpg
PANO_20140727_102739.jpg

Reaching Emerald Lake at mid day I wasn't 100% sure what to do. Fewer people around and less use makes a wilderness ranger's job interesting, as the answers of how to validate your job are a bit cloudier. I decided to hike down the Lakes of the Rough trail to Shell Lake and back, maybe run into people, more likely just check trail conditions.

Emerald Lake and its basin of lakes
Tour 4- North Side 055.jpg Tour 4- North Side 057.jpg
PANO_20140727_113415.jpg Tour 4- North Side 059.jpg

The Lakes of the Rough
Tour 4- North Side 060.jpg Tour 4- North Side 061.jpg Tour 4- North Side 062.jpg

Elk on the Lakes of the Rough Trail
Tour 4- North Side 065.jpg

Scenery around Shell Lake
Tour 4- North Side 068.jpg Tour 4- North Side 069.jpg
Back at the uppermost Lake of the Rough with sweet afternoon light
Tour 4- North Side 071.jpg
And back at Emerald Lake and my camp
PANO_20140727_164433.jpg PANO_20140727_190611.jpg

It turned out going down that trail was worth the time. I found out how bad a trail it is and how outfitters in the area were doing things against how they should. I also walked right into an elk herd.

Day 4

My last day was all about getting the water sample at Emerald and getting out. Getting all sciency with for the water sample was kinda neat: triple gloves (including those awesome up to your shoulder gloves), weather observations, rinsing, etc. Then I flew down the Edelman Trail, which is another rough trail. It pretty much goes straight up/down the mountain, and is in the trees, and is buggy, the whole way. But soon I found myself back at the office paperworking it up and getting psyched for another lazy weekend full of eating.

Down the Edelman Trail the pictures go!
Tour 4- North Side 073.jpg Tour 4- North Side 074.jpg Tour 4- North Side 075.jpg

The north end is awesome btw. While it is harder to get to, the ability to see hardly anyone and instead see only shear wilderness beauty is beyond great. The Geneva trail is way better than the Edelman Trail but Emerald Lake is among my favorites so far this summer so I can't say either trail is more worth a visit. It'll be nice to see the area again whenever I next get up there.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

You, obviously have the best job ever...in the world...galaxy...universe! I am very jealous. I really didn't know much about the CPW and now I'm thinking I need a first hand knowledge of it, soon. Scott thank you so much for sharing. The pics remind me a lot of the Sierras (which I love). I need more beta on the mega fauna, trail system, access and the like.

You the man.

The pics remind me a lot of the Sierras

Having never been to the Bighorns until this season, this observation and ones like it have astonished me the most about this place. I've been in places that remind me of the Uintas. I've been in places that remind me of the Winds. This northern tour was very Sierra/Cascade like. Florence Canyon belongs in the Tetons. These Bighorn Mountains of the Cloud Peak Wilderness blow my mind in their diversity of makeup.

very cool mountains. I have a brother living in Nashville now, could use it as a springboard int he future. Thanks for sharing.

Having never been to the Bighorns until this season, this observation and ones like it have astonished me the most about this place. I've been in places that remind me of the Uintas. I've been in places that remind me of the Winds. This northern tour was very Sierra/Cascade like. Florence Canyon belongs in the Tetons. These Bighorn Mountains of the Cloud Peak Wilderness blow my mind in their diversity of makeup.

I guess it's time that I visit up there to see what other memories the scenery will conjure up.

@Scott Chandler I'd like to submit an application to be your porter. when in truth I will be taking notes to overtake your job. =D

awesome trip report.